town overrun by invading spiders

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

town overrun by invading spiders

Post by dragon »

Damn just looking at the picture meak me cringe and since all I get is a red x if I posts take a look. By the way that white stuff covering everything is not snow.
Thousands of normally solitary wolf spiders have blanketed an Australian farm after fleeing a rising flood.

Reuters reports that the flooding has forced more than 8,000 Australian (human) residents from their homes in the city of Wagga Wagga in New South Wales. But for every temporarily displaced person, it appears several spiders have moved in to fill the void.

"What we've seen here is a type of wolf spider," Owen Seeman, an arachnid expert at Queensland Museum, told Reuters. "They are trying to hide away (from the waters)."

The Australian Museum's entomology collections manager Graham Milledge told Reuters that there's even a term for the phenomenon, "ballooning," and that it is typical behavior for spiders forced to escape rising waters.

You can watch a video here of researchers on the hunt for ballooning spiders from the safety of a hot air balloon.

A dog casually walks through the ballooning spider webs (Daniel Munoz/Reuters)Thankfully for local residents, the occupying arachnids are not likely to set up permanent residence, a la the 1977 William Shatner clunker "Kingdom of the Spiders." Weather reports say the flood waters in Wagga Wagga have begun receding, meaning that locals will soon be returning to their homes and the wolf spiders will also be returning to their natural underground habitats.

And it turns out the spiders are actually doing quite a bit of good while setting up shop above ground. The spiders are feasting on mosquitoes and other insect populations that have boomed with the increased moisture brought about by the rising waters.

"The amount of mosquitoes around would be incredible because of all this water," Taronga Zoo spider keeper Brett Finlayson told the Sydney Morning Herald. "The spiders don't pose any harm at all. They are doing us a favor. They are actually helping us out."

Spiders and other insects fill the trees after flooding last year in Pakistan (Russell Watkins/U.K. Department …
As amazing as this display may be, it's not the first time photographers have captured massive displaced spider migrations. One of the most famous pictures of 2011, above, showed millions of spiders and other insects in Pakistan that had formed massive web clusters in trees to escape rising floodwaters.

"It was largely spiders," Russell Watkins, U.K. Department for International Development, told National Geographic. "Certainly, when we were there working, if you stood under one of these trees, dozens of small, very, very tiny spiders would just be dropping down onto your head
run away
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Re: town overrun by invading spiders

Post by Spoonist »

Wolf Spiders ...venomous - non-aggressive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Venom toxicity - the bite of the Wolf Spider is poisonous but not lethal. Although non-aggressive, they bite freely if provoked and should be considered dangerous to humans. The bite may be very painful. First aid and medical attention should be sought as soon as possible, particularly as to children or the elderly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spider Identification - an adult is 1/2 inch to more than 1 inch in body length - mottled gray to brown in color, with a distinct Union Jack impression on its back. The female carries it's young on its back.
Habitat - this spider is a ground dweller, with a burrow retreat. It has a roving nocturnal lifestyle to hunt their prey and can move very rapidly when disturbed. Commonly found around the home, in garden areas with a silk lined burrow, sometimes with a lid or covered by leaf litter or grass woven with silk as a little fence around the rim of the burrow.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

not lethal for 1 but there;s thousands in that town.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Welp, I did need some inspiration for some spider-infested mountains in my story...

That is a rather impressive, if creepily spinecrawling, sight though.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I read the title and thought "This has got to be in Australia". Yep, it's in Australia.

And a wolf spider bite is one painful son of a bitch.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Agreed on the bite. A wolf spider bite hurts worse than a bee sting.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Leaving aside that these spiders are likely doing quite a bit of good in keeping what are probably balooning mosquito populations down, and probably not actually hurting any people, situations like this explain precisely why mankind invented flamethrowers.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.