Your favorite hand-to-hand fight scene in film (spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Revy
Jedi Knight

Re: Your favorite hand-to-hand fight scene in film (spoilers

Post by Revy »

Kung Pow. Every fight scene in that was pure gold, including the gopher-chucks, punching a hole clean through a guy, and the utterly insane Chosen One vs Cow. Yes, a cow.

Christie vs Helena fight scene in the Dead or Alive film. Purely for the eye candy.

Johnny Cage punching Goro in the nuts, MK movie.

For a favourite weapon fight scene, I'd probably go with the corridor fight in Warrior's Way. It was only about five seconds long but it was awesome.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Collossus
Youngling

Post by Collossus »

Kiss of the Dragon.

Jet Li versus the "Twins"

The pacing and realism on this fight are absolutly incredible, the movie itself is somewhat forgettable but this fight scene is not.
"The supreme paradox of all thought is the attempt to discover something that thought cannot think."
Kierkegaar
TheKwas
Padawan Learner

Post by TheKwas »

Atlan wrote: Oh Jesus, no. At first it's quite cool, but it goes on for way too long. I mean, imagine. You're running into this room, and there's this guy in the middle. Around him are two dozen of your buddies, on the floor, all screaming in pain. Ah, but there's Joey, and you know Joey. Guy's a stone cold killer. He's gonna fuck this gu... OH FUCK! KNEES ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BEND LIKE THAT! HOLY SHIT JOEY WHATHEDO TOYOU!? And there's Mike, oh, thank God. Mike'll take care of OH GOD! HE JUST BROKE MIKE'S ELBOWS! AND NOW HE'S LOOKING AT ME!

You honestly cannot tell me that NONE of those guy made a runner for it. Movie mooks are supposed to be dumb, but these guys just lined up to be destroyed. I mean, what happened to a lot of those limbs and joints if it were real, it would cripple you for life. Anyone with half a brain, upon running into that room and seeing two dozen of his buddies on the floor, would NOT think "Ah, I can take him!". They'd think "Man, fuck this shit! I'm outta here!"

At least the staircase scene is a bit more believable. Most of the mooks simply don't see this guy wading through their buddies. Nor does the furniture break easily, which I loved. It looks REAL. It probably IS real furniture, instead of balsawood shit.
With that sentiment in mind, I have to agree with what someone said on page one: Oldboy's hallway scene

Probably the best group fight scene where you can actually see the social dynamics evolve as the fight goes on. The group of street-level thugs faced by a highly-trained madman with nothing to lose. The group faces a sort of prisoners dilemma, where the bravest of the group quickly get their knees hammered, creating an incentive for each individual to engage reluctantly until group morale plummets and they all basically stop challenging angry madman guy. There's obviously a decent amount on unrealistic flair, but still one of the more believable yet entirely bad-ass fight scenes.

Also, the entire scene is filmed in one shot, which is pretty remarkable all by itself.

Translation for the first bit:
ODS: "All those with blood type A, raise your hand."
*Various goons raise hand*
ODS: "Go on, off you go... this one's gonna need lot of blood."
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Revy wrote:
Johnny Cage punching Goro in the nuts, MK movie.
Man I miss a cheesy good ol' tournament movie from the 90's. Mortal Kombat, Lionheart, the Quest,... always loved how they brought different fighting styles together. Pity it's a dead genre these days (or stillborn abominations like Dead or Alive).

Some other good 'uns

Jackie Chan vs Benny the Jet

Bruce Lee vs Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Not his best scene but the difference in height is just surreal. Like a kid fighting an adult.

Jackie Chan vs Brad Allen. That guy is seriously quick
TheKwas
Padawan Learner

Post by TheKwas »

Jackie Chan vs Brad Allen. That guy is seriously quick
I hope you realize that the film is sped up to nearly double speed when shooting those scenes. They're actually doing their moves slower than normal during filming.