Translation Request Sticky

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Translation Request Sticky

Post by Thanas »

Laws still existed then. Better not tell the catholic church you were a magi either.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So what does that say, anyway?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Disclaimer, I don't know Latin, I'm just helping myself from my own French, what English I know, and the few I understand of Spanish.

So anyway, here's how I understand it :

Bronii sumus : We are the /B/ronies
Amicitia magia est : Friendship is Magic
^ These two are pretty obvious
Now, for the tricky part :
Exspecta ut ignoscamus atque obliviscamur : [I'm not sure but I think it is :] We do not forgive even if we can forget, expect us [, or something to the same effect. At least there's a reference to "expectation", "forgiveness", and "forgetting". I think...]

The last part, I think it is a reference to Anonymous' "We do not forget, we do not forgive, expect us". I suppose the picture comes from 4chan or ponychan, yes ?
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

It's based off of this.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Duckie wrote: I also was under the impression Bokmal was genetically closer to Danish than Swedish, but given the recent changes it's likely it might not sound it.

Nonetheless genetically it does go as I stated in my previous post as far as separation, even if comprehensionwise it doesn't (I conflated the two, figuring it was probably correct).
Still, I'm impressed by your translation. Its spot on for both sentences.

But yeah, the norwegian language is strange in that danes and norwegians understand eachother's texts - like newspapers etc. While swedes and norwegians understand eachother's vocalization better - like tv.

And you are quite right, norwegian and danish is much more related to eachother than either is to swedish. That's some leftover of the Hansa and the swedish being more focused on the baltic.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Google gives me "Si Fueris Vega" for "When in Vegas." It was something I did for a NationStates RP based in New Vegas. Just wondering how accurate that was and what it'd be if it was a fictional city like Poseidonis. If you're wondering, it's a city from Mothership Zeta Crew.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

Spoonist wrote: So the further north you go in denmark, ie away from ze germans, the easier they are to understand for other scandinavians.
Minor adition:
the people living in eastern Denmark are generally better at understanding Swedish than those living further west.
Spoonist wrote: Lots of norwegians watch swedish television for instance, while very few of them watch danish tv.
Danes are also far more likely to watch Swedish TV than Norwegian TV, in addition to that there is also a large amount of program exchange between Danish and Swedish TV.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Never use Google for translations. Ever. It's pathetic excuse for Latin translation is nothing to go by.

Ask Thanas or Duckie, Panzer. Obviously, you'll get vastly more accuracy.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I know, but I didn't really feel like PMing Thanas way back in December when I was trying to figure it out and I was not aware Duckie knew Latin, too. Of course, hindsight tells me I should have just made a thread in testing asking this, so I apparently have all the imagination of a potato or something.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Antie
Youngling

Post by Antie »

Salvete omnes,

Wow, I haven't posted here in years.

But anyway, I'm the one who did the Latin for that /B/ronii image:

http://diaphanus.livejournal.com/2679301.html

For "magic," it was either magia or ars magica. I was aware of the negative association of the word, but I ignored it because I had the Neo-Latin (modern) notion in mind. And I thought it was shorter. Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis uses that particular word. There is also the fact that the Latin Vicipaedia uses it:

http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magia_%28mystica%29
Latitator Latinicophilus apud StarDestroyer.net
The Latin-Loving Lurker at StarDestroyer.net
Governess - The Fanlisting for Tatiana N. Romanova
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Hey, sorry for not crediting you explicitly, I thought people would just check out your FB profile if they wanted to learn more.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Salve.

Ars magica does not have any negative connotations, but it specifically means the craft of magic and thus might not be used as an adjective.After all, friendship does not mean one practices magic. However, when one descibes it as an ars it removes the negative connotations, so it might be the better choice. Friendship is the art/skill of magic. Hmmm.

Though given my opinion of that show maleficium might just be the correct translation. :lol:
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Duckie wrote:I don't see any huge mistakes, so I think Thanas is simply taunting you. Otherwise he should put his money where his keyboard is and demonstrate his superior Latin knowledge to me.

Eques could be "Miles". Closer in meaning (in medieval latin at least) to the concept of the knight you're looking for, as there weren't really Chivalric Knights. "Eques" is 'dude on a horse' more than 'warrior of chivalry', and Miles is in classical latin 'soldier', and the professional implication of the latter came to be applied to the warrior caste of later europe for whom fighting was their profession, as opposed to levies, and thus gained a veneer of honour. Eques meanwhile came to mean 'guy on a horse' and seems more common in chess than warfare descriptions, although almost all medieval Miles could presumably be described as Eques (but not all Eques are Miles in medieval latin, I would further guess).
Miles is only valid for medieval latin. Otherwise, you are looking for the latin word equites as that denotes a social rank, whereas eques just means "guy on a horse".
Although if it's led by a monarch, it should probably be a Regnum, so that's kind of weird.
Why? After all, there were plenty of female kings in Latin histories. But yeah, regnum is the other thing I would go for here.
------------
------------
My LPs
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

My knowledge base is more vulgar and medieval latin than classical at times, I admit.

I meant that a monarch leading a Res Publica as stated would be bizarre, which is why I said it should be a Regnum more than a Res Publica given it's led by a (reigning) Princess.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

We don't actually disagree on that it should be regnum.
------------
------------
My LPs
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

So what would "When in New Vegas" or "When in Poseidonis" be?
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Not so much a translation but help with pronunciation of non-english names. Am I pronouncing the following names right or completely butchering them?
(Note I have no idea what the actual proper way to write down phonetics is)

Sime Vrsaljko (Croatian)
I'm currently pronouncing it as something like:
sim-ee
verse-al-j-ko

Si Abdennour Yahiaoui (French/Algerian)
I'm ok for the first two names, but that last one stumps me, right now I'm using:
yahoo-ee

Xaropinho (Brazilian)
I assume the X is pronounced as a Z?

Nabil Messaoudi (French/Moroccan)
Got the first name, just the second:
mess-ah-oo-di ?

Kouadio N'Guessan (Ivory Coast)
Koo-add-e-oh
un-guess-san ?

And the reason I can't just ask the person how their name is pronounced is that they're footballers (both real and fake) that are in my team in the video game Football Manager.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Since you don't want correct native pronunciations but correct anglicised pronunciations I've spared you the IPA and given you fun-eh-tick transcriptions despite how much it pains me.
2000AD wrote:Not so much a translation but help with pronunciation of non-english names. Am I pronouncing the following names right or completely butchering them?
(Note I have no idea what the actual proper way to write down phonetics is)

Sime Vrsaljko (Croatian)
I'm currently pronouncing it as something like:
sim-ee
verse-al-j-ko
Nope, that's absolutely wrong in every possible way basically. Best would be english 'see-mey verse-aL-ko', where L is the gl in italian. It's pronounced as an l with a y after it, but not as a vowel. It's not alley-ko, it's just an l where your tongue is at the palatal ridge. Hard for english speakers. Pronouncing it as a normal l is probably what'll happen, even though lj and l are different phonemes in croatian so that's technically wrong.
Si Abdennour Yahiaoui (French/Algerian)
I'm ok for the first two names, but that last one stumps me, right now I'm using:
yahoo-ee
Ya-hee-ah-wee
Xaropinho (Brazilian)
I assume the X is pronounced as a Z?
Why in the world would you assume that? X in this position in brazilian is pronounced like english 'sh'. Further, 'nh' is pronounced 'ny', so it's Sharopinyo.
mess-ah-oo-di ?
Correct.
Kouadio N'Guessan (Ivory Coast)
Koo-add-e-oh
un-guess-san ?
It's a french transcription of ivorian, so it'd probably be like that, although n'g could also indicate it starts with the final sound in 'ring' which is not permissible in english. Further 'un' has too much vowel to be a vocalic n. You want the n-vowel in 'done', minus the d.

Remember that for all africans whose names are mangled by the french, 'ou' = 'oo', like 'tout le monde' or whatnot. So there's this city in africa that looks like Ouagadougou, that's actually Wagadugu, but it was owned by the french so it looks dumb.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Kiezdeutsch = AAVE?

Are any of you German speakers ethnic or young enough to give us an example of Kiezdeutsch, and what its status is in German society?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I think the article is completely overblown. There is no way such slang will be recognized as a real language, especially considering that it is generally seen as a sign of stupidity and intellectual under-achievement.
------------
------------
My LPs
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

2000AD wrote: Si Abdennour Yahiaoui (French/Algerian)
yahoo-ee

mess-ah-oo-di ?
The H in the first one has a heavy H like you're forcing air out of your lungs while saying it. Technically after that it could be ee or wee, depends on the actual arabic characters. Yahia's one of the holy names, John in English if I remember right, and adding just the ee sound after would make you a follower of his. The second one, could be a three or four things depending on how it's actually written, but your guess is as likely as anything else.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

can i request the following phrases in the following languages?
(exact translation not required, simply the kind of words you'd use when doing a websearch for informaton)

1Health
2Cardio-Fitness
3Diet
4stress
5relaxation
6Education
7Entairtainment
8Books
9Games

in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese?
cheers.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

^please?^

I'll write you a haiku on a subject of choice.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

madd0ct0r wrote:can i request the following phrases in the following languages?
(exact translation not required, simply the kind of words you'd use when doing a websearch for informaton)

1Health
2Cardio-Fitness
3Diet
4stress
5relaxation
6Education
7Entairtainment
8Books
9Games

in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese?
cheers.
French :

1 santé
2 "cardio-fitness" (stolen from English as is)
3 régime(s) (without s for singular, with for plural)
4 stress
5 relaxation / détente
6 éducation
7 divertissement(s) (without s for singular, with for plural)
8 livre(s) (without s for singular, with for plural)
9 jeu(x) (without x for singular, with for plural)

http://translate.google.fr/ <== this is your new friend. Learn to use it well.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

German:

1 Gesundheit
2 Cardio-Fitness (keep it?)
3 Ernährung (or Diät if you mean going on a diet and not the general food eating habits)
4 Stress
5 Erholung
6 Bildung
7 Unterhaltung
8 Bücher
9 Spiele

I find www.dict.cc is excellent for translations of single words.