Hand Sanitizer Help

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Hand Sanitizer Help

Post by JME2 »

Hey Guys,

Alright I feel stupid for asking this, but here goes.

This morning, I used a little Purell Hand Sanitizer on my jeans to sanitize my zipper, the accompanying teeth, and fabric. I was dealing with mold yesterday afternoon and was playing it safe.

I'm concerned now about running it (and my shirt, which came into contact with it) through the washer and dryer later.

Because it's essentially rubbing alcohol and evaporates quickly, there shouldn't be any danger of flammability or damage, correct?

I pretty much already know the answer, but I'd like a second opinion regardless .
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Hand Sanitizer Help

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The only difference between hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol is that they put a moisturizer in the hand sanitizer to keep your hands moist.

Everything else is identical between sanitizers and rubbing alcohols, even to the amount of bacterias it killed (we did a research paper in this).

If it's washerized, the hand sanitizer should be gone anyway.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah.

I knew better when I posted. I've spilled Purell or wiped it on my jeans before. I've worn them and have them gone through the wash without a problem.

Thanks, Shroom.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Alcohol actually works better in killing microorganisms when mixed with some amount of water, which is why the rubbing alcohols we use are just XYZ% alcohol + water and not 100%.

Pure 100% alcohol would actually work less effective than just XYZ% alcohol + water.

If I recall the research thing we made, and all the literatures we read, right.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Really? Why is that?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Really? Why is that?
70% alcohol is usually considered the best concentration because it has the best diffusion through bacterial cell walls to induce bacterial protein precipitation (denaturation), higher alcohol concentrations diffuse less efficiently/primarily affect surface proteins.