China

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

China

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Tomorrow morning I am flying off to China for 12 days.

At the moment, my itinerary is pretty up in the air. I am leaving almost immediately after arriving in Beijing to head to Xi'an. There I plan on seeing the Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor (with the Terracotta Warriors) and (what I am actually more excited for) the Mausoleum of the Yellow Emperor. I also want to go to Banpo, Mount Hua, the Zhao Mausoleum, and Yan'an.

Beyond that, I don't really have any specific plans or destinations. I need to be back in Beijing by the 28th.

Anybody have any advice on what to do/where to go? I don't think anyone on these forums lives there (at least not that I've noticed). I know I can just look in a guidebook and see all the standard stuff on the tourist route, so I was mostly interested in knowing if people had ideas as to interesting off-the-beaten-track kinds of places (especially historical sites) that aren't as well visited or advertised.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: China

Post by ray245 »

We do have a few members living in China. Lusy is still staying there I think.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Oh yeah? Maybe I can arrange something, or at least get some good advice.

In any case, I now know a little more about my itinerary (I am meeting an old family friend in Beijing who will be showing me around, I was waiting for him to e-mail me with his plan).

It looks like I fly into Beijing, then the next day take the train to Jinan. From there, we will be driving out to Zhengzhou and then Xi'an; stops at the Juye incident site, Heze, Kaifeng, the White Horse Temple, and other places.
The Jester
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jester »

I'll be in Dalian for the next two weeks, but that's a little out of your way, I think.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I live in China, but I haven't been to any of those places except Beijing.

Though if you have the time I'd recommend seeing the Fragrant Hills in Haidian district. It was a personal favorite when I first went there.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I would go to Guilin In Guangxi province which is well known as a tourist place. You might get a feel for the cultures of the ethnic minorities who live there, and it has really nice scenery.

Other places of note, that James Cameron's Avatar created those floating mountains based on some Chinese mountains, notably Huasan and Zhangjiajie (?sp). Been to the latter, and its beautiful, but they don't seem to have much skill in managing long lines.

Also Lusankanya would recommend Luoyang - she certainly recommended it to me when we caught up earlier this year.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I actually did manage to see both Huasan and Luoyang on my trip.

At some point I am going to post something about my trip, because some of the more obscure historical sites I visited will be of some interest to people here, I think. Anyway, thanks for the advice!
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Did you get any good pictures? If so please post them.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I took approximately 1200 pictures. At the moment, I only have 200 (for various reasons, the rest of them ended up on my sister's laptop, I am still waiting for her to send them to me). But, yes, I will at some point in the next couple of weeks have a big photo thread (honestly, I might even do multiple separate ones for different places I went, depending on how many good shots I have ... though if a mod thinks that is too obnoxious I won't).