MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by weemadando »

Why not Sonnen v Maia 2 or Sonnen v Paul Harris.

Wait. It's because Sonnen would lose those and they couldn't make Sonnen v Silva 2.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Well if Sonnen wins we get the Silva/Sonnen rematch, if by some miracle Bisping pulls off a win we get to see Anderson Silva clown him hardcore and knock him the fuck out. It's a win-win for everyone! And in the meantime we get to enjoy epic trashtalk, which is already going down on twitter.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

aerius wrote:Well if Sonnen wins we get the Silva/Sonnen rematch, if by some miracle Bisping pulls off a win we get to see Anderson Silva clown him hardcore and knock him the fuck out. It's a win-win for everyone! And in the meantime we get to enjoy epic trashtalk, which is already going down on twitter.
Wasn't it already going on as far back as after Bisping vs. Rivera? In that case, the storyline </prorasslin> was already in progress, plus Bisping can at least be counted on to verbally fire back, and possibly to let it get under his skin, unlike Maia and Palhares.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

As a subject of tangential MMA interest, Haywire (starring Gina Carano) is getting really good reviews.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

That fight night brought the V. First round standing elbow ko in the first prelim.

Also no Goldie/Rogan...

What a difference.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

http://fantasy.sherdog.com

Event #3
7 of 10 Correct Picks, 4 Perfect
5 of 5 BOOSTS Correct

WHY DO MY BETS NEVER SHAPE UP LIKE THAT?

I mean, it's not like I would have bet on Shalorus, Schafer or Ludwig anyway.

Anyhoo - #115 in THE WORLD bitches.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

weemadando wrote:I mean, it's not like I would have bet on Shalorus, Schafer or Ludwig anyway.
Was it Shalorus or his opponent who attempted a flying chop??

I thought this to be particularly relevant considering that I mostly only go to SDN now for the MMA thread...
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Seeya later Diaz, and don't let the door hit your sorry ass on the way out. He's lucky he wasn't fighting GSP, cause that would've been the most one-sided slaughter since GSP-Fitch.

Also, Fabricio Werdum tooling Roy Nelson in a striking match? Who woulda thought?
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Man, my undercard picks were amazing. That main card? Not so much.

I love all the Diaz nut-huggers just absolutely killing themselves in denial at the moment. I don't think I've ever seen such a crazed backlash.

RT @AcidicLactor I've said it before, I'll say it again: When I look at Nick Diaz, I just see a stupid, childish loser with, somehow, a winner's career.

RT @AcidicLactor This is the only tweet I got in defence of Diaz. Yeah, sounds about right. RT @WilemanUK: @AcidicLactor fagg shut up

RT @AcidicLactor Also: You're looking for the word 'dyke'. RT @WilemanUK: @AcidicLactor fagg shut up

Acidic Lactor is the best person on the internet.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:I love all the Diaz nut-huggers just absolutely killing themselves in denial at the moment. I don't think I've ever seen such a crazed backlash.
Yeah, Diaz nuthuggers are right up there with BJ Penn and Machida nuthuggers when it comes to being sore fucking losers. The only reason Diaz keeps winning is because his opponents go full retard and box with him, then back themselves into the fence and get body punched to hell instead of circling out. As long as you keep Diaz in the middle of the cage his striking ain't all that special, his technique leaves lots of openings and you can kick the shit out his legs and body, then go high on him. If you keep the striking technical and stay away from the fence you can take him apart, and that's exactly what Condit did. And if GSP was in there he would've fucked up Diaz' face even worse than Condit did.

I haven't seen the post-fight press conference yet, any word on what Dana White's said about Diaz?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

No, I'll try and track it down. I have to imagine it was nothing good as Diaz' name was pulled from the list of "guests" for it.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Found the post fight conference video, damnit, he's not firing Diaz, and Dana doesn't seem pissed at him.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Oh man, the babying just doesn't stop.

Everyone seems to want to compare Condit to Kaleb Starnes.

Yeah. Because that comparison is apt. Condit outlanded Diaz by 30%, set a record for leg kicks and won on significant strikes and significant strikes to the head.

BUT HE WASN'T LETTING NICK DIAZ PUNCH HIM THEREFORE HE'S A PUSSYFAGHOLE AND SHOULD HAVE LOST.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I bet those nuthuggers would still claim it's an early stoppage even if Diaz got knocked out stiff or had an arm removed from his body. Just like those deluded Machida fanboys claiming that he was taking the fight to Shogun and clearly winning the round up until he got knocked out cold.

Seriously, Diaz got his face busted up and his leg was nice & purple while Condit had a couple little marks under his eyes.
Yeah, who won that exchange and did more damage? You might as well tell me that Roy Nelson won the fight because he kept coming forward and throwing punches.

edit: Almost forgot about the PPV intro sequence. I'm not quite sold on the new intro, I still like gladiator man better. Maybe it'll grow on me.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Diaz won the power walking competition (he's a triathlete you know), but Condit won the fight It's funny that Diaz thinks he was more aggressive so he should have won. First of all, walking forward with your hands up high is not aggression. Kicking and punching is aggression. Condit not only threw more, he landed more too, and Diaz simply couldn't adapt to that. Why didn't he adapt his movements? Why didn't he attempt more takedowns? The only thing Diaz changed was to throw more kicks in the later rounds, which I'm sure suited Condit just fine.

I predicted Diaz to win, but Condit simply outfought him. Condit wasn't even fighting purely for the judges as some are claiming. I mean, it's a perfectly good strategy even if there is no time limit because legs kicks work, and they add up (see Sakuraba vs. Royce Gracie I).
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

My Sherdog Fantasy results for this event:
8 of 11 Correct Picks, 4 Perfect
5 of 5 BOOSTS Correct

Takes me to #144 (inside top 3%).

I have GOT to start doing parlays based on my Boost calls.

In other news, new MMA promotion is starting up and I've been offered a judging slot with them (after I ended up commentating for the previous promotion). Which I've taken up. Get some official training and certification as part of it which is nice too.

And eventually in about 10 years I'll be dragged in to rob some poor guy of a justified win on an Australian UFC card and then say: "Leg kicks don't count" or something.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

So apparently if you and your fans cry hard enough, you get an instant rematch. Gotta love the precedence that sets. Fuck that shit, that's one UFC event I'm going to pirate on general principle. Someone on the MMA boards said Dana will keep doing rematches until Nick Diaz wins so he can fight GSP, I can't say I disagree with that analysis. He'll probably make sure Cecil Peoples is one of the judges too.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

aerius wrote:So apparently if you and your fans cry hard enough, you get an instant rematch. Gotta love the precedence that sets. Fuck that shit, that's one UFC event I'm going to pirate on general principle. Someone on the MMA boards said Dana will keep doing rematches until Nick Diaz wins so he can fight GSP, I can't say I disagree with that analysis. He'll probably make sure Cecil Peoples is one of the judges too.
Even if you disagree with giving him a rematch, if enough people are clamoring to watch that fight and will pay money to see it or watch your free to air FOX broadcast that desperately could use a boost, then it makes tons of sense from a business perspective. The way the UFC is structured they can do exactly that, just by saying you're going to pirate it I think means they are on the right track because you are obviously interested enough to watch. Now if you and other fans boycotted altogether? Sends a much stronger message.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

It seems talk of the rematch was put on hold today as rumours apparently flying out of NSAC reporting that Diaz has failed his drug tests in some way.

That would be the delicious cherry on top.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

NSAC and Kizer have confirmed that Diaz has pissed dirty.

Marijuana in his system.

Again.

There is no smiley with enough applause and shit eating grin for me right now.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Can't wait to see what kind of whining and excuses Diaz fans will come with next.
Let me guess, he lost because he was high, yeah, that's the new story!

Man, not even that Nelson Muntz photo is enough to express how I feel.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Hemp seeds.

Goddamn.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Hemp seeds, sure, I believe it.

Except for the fact that all hemp seed products I know of use non-psychoactive marijuana so you can't piss positive for metabolites. They breed the plants so they don't have THC and all the other good stuff, you can eat as much of it as you want and you won't get high or test positive.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

That is still his excuse. Or rather, it's his anticipated excuse as a few weeks ago he posted a picture of his grocery shopping with the seeds prominent.

So everyone is assuming that such a random pic was part of a strategy (probably devised while high) to obfuscate test outcomes.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

So according to Lorenzo Fertitta they're not going to fire Nick Diaz, in fact he says that Diaz has the UFC's full support and they're going to stand behind him. Looks like they don't give a shit about anything as long as the fighter in question brings in the PPV dollars. Man, I hope the Cesar Gracie camp starts another Strikeforce style brawl after their next fighter loses, and hopefully it's on a Fox card for maximum bad PR. Let's see what the UFC does then.