MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by weemadando »

I guess he could always go and start a camp with Keith Jardine.

But seriously, he's pissed that Jackson brought Jones in?

Jealous much?
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

This is what happens when Rashad chooses to sit out for a year so he doesn't lose his title shot. He was trying for a freebie against an out of shape post-surgery Shogun but the MMA gods tweaked his knee because they thought it was bullshit. Now he'll have to fight Jones and pay for being a pussy dickhead. And thank god for that. Any fighter worth his sweat will take a fight in between or go up to Dana and say "I want to fight for the interim belt". Chuck did it, Nogueira, Carwin, and Mir all did it too, Hughes and BJ have stepped up and done it, but Rashad wussed out and didn't.

Oh yeah, the rest of the fight card. How can you not like this?

http://h-3.abload.de/img/barboza1dgm.gif
Last edited by aerius on 2011-03-21 05:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

aerius wrote:This is what happens when Rashad chooses to sit out for a year so he doesn't lose his title shot. He was trying for a freebie against an out of shape post-surgery Shogun but the MMA gods tweaked his knee because they thought it was bullshit. Now he'll have to fight Jones and pay for being a pussy dickhead. And thank god for that. Any fighter worth his sweat will take a fight in between or go up to Dana and say "I want to fight for the interim belt". Chuck did it, Nogueira, Carwin, and Mir all did it too, Hughes and BJ have stepped up and done it, but Rashad wussed out and didn't.

Oh yeah, the rest of the fight card. How can you not like this?

http://h-3.abload.de/img/barboza1dgm.gif
*Can you un-inline that, don't want to murder my mobile browsing data if I hit up this thread*

But yes. That kick was awesome "That was a bitchslap with the foot." Also, question mark kick - brilliant.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Holy shit, the Korean Zombie subs Garcia with a twister!
Rogan: Somewhere, Eddie Bravo is very happy

Damn, sub of the night right there. According to the interview he's been watching Eddie Bravo videos on Youtube and working on the twister with his team, he's now made history by scoring the first twister sub in the UFC.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

If you're going to fake a piss test, at least have the brains to use human piss.
UFC 125 fighter Thiago Silva's drug-testing sample was "inconsistent with human urine," Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Silva's initial "A" test was flagged, and further testing on the "B" sample confirmed the original conclusion.

Kizer said Silva now essentially is temporarily suspended until an April 7 hearing.

Silva will be asked to address the situation at the Las Vegas meeting, where he could face a suspension, fine and the overturning of his win to a no-contest.

Silva fought fellow light heavyweight Brandon Vera and earned a unanimous-decision win at UFC 125 in January. However, the 28-year-old subsequently was scratched from a planned UFC 130 bout with Quinton "Rampage" Jackson when UFC 125 drug-testing results were released.

At the time, Kizer told MMAjunkie.com that the commission was still investigating one sample from the event. While he could not confirm whether or not one of the sample belonged to Silva, the NSAC executive did confirm that Silva was among the UFC 125 fighters who submitted a pre-fight screen. Additionally, Silva was the only fighter tested who was not confirmed as passing.

Urinalysis of Silva's sample produced an "invalid result" that was "inconsistent with human urine," according an NSAC complaint. The sample then was tested by the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory, which is accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency, and determined the same thing.

The report concludes that Silva "submitted an adulterated and/or substituted specimen for testing for the urinalysis."

UFC officials have not commented on the matter and will await the outcome of the April 7 hearing.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Holy fuck did y'all just see that?

When that guy did the-

And then when the other guy-

And that thing with the-

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing card.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Great card, every fight was excellent (except the main event unfortunately, but all the other fights made up for it)
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/05/01/s ... nding-his/

And don't forget the great Steven Seagal!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I saw a comment somewhere that effectively broke down to:

GSP fights seem boring because Jackson and him are so good at breaking an opponent's gameplan. The opponent never gets a chance to find their rhythm or even start to impose their will on the game and GSP just works his fundamentals (which are fundamentally WAY better than anyone else in MMA) and you get what can appear to be a boring fight.

*edit*

And also - goddamn, I feel bad for Makdessi and Ellenberger because I'm sure they could have used a 129k bonus a lot more than Machida...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Oh yeah, and here's why GSP couldn't see for most of the fight:

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Wow, Shields managed to not only fail to win, but he failed to win even when going for an eye gouge. maybe they should stick his ass back in Strike Force where he belongs to keep him away from people that are clearly better than he is.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Yeah, you know what the best part is? All 3 Cesar Gracie fighters in ufc 129 lost their fights. Daniel Roberts gets decisioned. Nate Diaz gets suplexed to hell and soundly beaten. Shields still can't win even with an eye gouge. Then that douchebag Gracie starts going with the greasing crap again saying that GSP must've done something to make himself slippery because he managed to stuff all of Jake's takedowns and get his leg back every time it got grabbed. Shields lost, deal with it. Oh yeah, and he got knocked on his ass by a jab and flattened with a head kick, how the fuck did 2 judges score it 48-47?

Man, it's taken a few days to digest the awesomeness of the event, seriously, a Karate Kid crane kick to the face? A spinning backfist KO? Nate Diaz getting suplexed like it was a WWE wrestling match? Best card I've seen since Pride 33.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

aerius wrote:how the fuck did 2 judges score it 48-47?
I don't know what rounds were scored for who, but UFC judges are notorious for giving rounds to another fighter based on the "well, he did better than in the last round" line of reasoning. That and aggression, no matter how ineffective, counts for something in their decision making.

I'm really annoyed I watched this one at a friends house (not at him, but) because I didn't record the PPV and I forgot to record the prelims. This one was definitely worth another viewing (or 3).
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The prelims were crazy. But the facebook fights were awesome. Flying triangle, spinning backfist KO, amazingly technical triangle, back-elbow nose crush KO, decent 3 rounder. That's how you open a card.

And then Ellenberger KOing Pierson and MacDonald going WWE on on Diaz as stunning.

Absolute best moment though: BHendo getting shut-down in the post fight interview: "CAN I GET AN AMEN?" ...SILENCE... *BHendo now looks sad*.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I gotta say that there are a ton of fucking retarded MMA fans out there. So after their boy Jake Shields who was supposed to outwrestle GSP and sub him on the ground got his ass kicked, they're now jumping on the Nick Diaz bandwagon and saying he'll be the guy who finally ends the reign of GSP. They must be smoking the same shit that Diaz is cause there's no way in hell that's happening other than a fluke of Matt Serra proportions. Seriously, do they think that GSP is just going to step in the cage and have a slugging match with Diaz like the rest of the idiots he's faced in Strikeforce? And he's somehow going to sub GSP from bottom position when he's taken down, which is something that no one's come remotely close to accomplishing? I will laugh so hard when Diaz gets tooled just like everyone else.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And peeps have gotta remember that Diaz got his title due to Shields vacating it. To be honest I think that GSP works Diaz into a BJ-esque towel throw followed by them attempting to beat him up post fight.

This is an amazing month or so for MMA though.

UFC 130, TUF finale, 131, live on VS, 132

Strikeforce GP second quarter final event and challengers

Dream Bantamweight tournament.

Bellator Finals

And more I'm sure...
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Oh, and we had KSW 16, for anyone who wanted to see what James Thompson was up to and to see Matt Lindland "die" again (last picture). One of the best things about the show though was following it in the company of one of Thompson's friends over at Something Awful...
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

OK. After my wife encouraged me to I'm finally going to lay done some cash (maybe twenty) on MMA this weekend.

3 to 1 on Hamill is just ridiculous in my opinion so why not go for it. More so should I parlay it. Demetrius Johnson over Torres seems safe as does Alves over Story.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Lesnar out of UFC 131 with same thing he had last time (Divertulitus or whatever it's called, his intestine has holes) and Shane Carwin in to replace him against Junior. There's no way JDS vs Carwin is going the distance, someone is going to get knocked out.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Interesting thing about 131 is that they've brought in Paul Heyman to help with Carwin's bit. Considering that he's responsible for building some of the greatest on camera bits and characters in wrasslin.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Holy fuck, well that didn't take long. Diaz vs. GSP is official. Damn. Looks like the UFC WW division was more cleaned out than I thought.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Especially so now that Fitch has said he doesn't want to fight Rick Story, he only wants to fight main event guys.

But hey, we can understand that. After all, its the only reason anyone would watch a Fitch fight.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Especially so now that Fitch has said he doesn't want to fight Rick Story, he only wants to fight main event guys.
Seriously, what the fuck's up with that? Taking career advice from Rashad Evans? Seriously? Dana White hates him enough already, after Fitch did this you can bet that he ain't getting another title shot for years.

Also, man those Nick Diaz fanboys are hilarious. I can't wait till GSP beats his face in so I can laugh at all those idiots.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Fitch comedy quotient just got higher. After shooting down a Story fight because he only wants main event guys, Story steps in to replace an injured Johnson against Marquadt to headline the upcoming Live on Versus card.

Also, the amount of 209 Banana Rider baiting has been amazing.

Tomas Rios has been dropping Nick Diaz facts:

Following his 6-4 run in the UFC, Nick Diaz has made many changes. Chief among them being not facing any wrestlers.

The last time Nick Diaz stopped a wrestler's takedown, he got outboxed by Sean Sherk.