StarDestroyer.Net BBS

Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
Login   Register FAQ    Search

View unanswered posts | View active topics


It is currently 2014-09-03 12:59am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Board index » Non-Fiction » Off-Topic


Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

Tomorrow when the war began

Moderators: Edi, Frank Hipper

Post new topic Post a reply  Page 2 of 3
 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message

wautd
PostPosted: 2010-09-13 04:56am 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2004-02-11 11:11am
Posts: 6996
Location: Intensive care
Kane Starkiller wrote:
Vympel wrote:
I'm just tired of Australian movies that are all stuck in the same weird alternate Australia universe which I don't live in

You Australians should just stick to producing awesome tv shows:

Who needs a lightsaber when I have my fucking transducer beootch.


Hey how was that show named again? A remember watching that ages ago. Pretty much don't remember a thing (looooong time ago) only that it was good.
   Profile |  

PeZook
PostPosted: 2010-09-13 05:24am 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2002-07-18 06:08pm
Posts: 13237
Location: Poland
Shroom, I didn't say the radio wasn't awesome. The fact its hosts and guests are raving lunatics does not exclude awesomeness :D
   Profile |  

Shroom Man 777
PostPosted: 2010-09-13 05:40am 

FUCKING DICK-STABBER!


Joined: 2003-05-11 08:39am
Posts: 19927
Location: Bleeding breasts and stabbing dicks since 2003
(You are right, of course. God I love their deranged radios. The best thing about it is that everyone in GTA, on and off the air, are raving lunatics. This is probably sufficient explanation for what caused the Australian-American War :P)
   Profile |  

PeZook
PostPosted: 2010-09-13 06:03am 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2002-07-18 06:08pm
Posts: 13237
Location: Poland
I actually think it's a spoof on raging idiots in America who have no idea about history, and spout hilarious crap about pretty much everything: hence, many characters in GTA believe the US went to war with Australia and Red Dawn was a documentary. Especially gun-toting maniacs spending their weekends in Ammu-Nation stores :D

There's a guy in San Adreas running a travel show who comments about one caller: "Why don't you go to Las Vegas? I heard they have a casino there that's just like the rest of the world, only with better bathrooms and slot machines!"
   Profile |  

Kane Starkiller
PostPosted: 2010-09-13 06:58am 

Jedi Master


Joined: 2005-01-21 02:39pm
Posts: 1316
wautd wrote:
Hey how was that show named again? A remember watching that ages ago. Pretty much don't remember a thing (looooong time ago) only that it was good.

The girl from tomorrow. And yes when I was a kid I thought it was awesome. Wouldn't recommend watching it now though. :D
   Profile |  

mr friendly guy
PostPosted: 2010-09-13 06:59am 

The Doctor


Joined: 2004-12-12 11:55pm
Posts: 8062
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia
wautd wrote:
Kane Starkiller wrote:
Vympel wrote:
I'm just tired of Australian movies that are all stuck in the same weird alternate Australia universe which I don't live in

You Australians should just stick to producing awesome tv shows:

Who needs a lightsaber when I have my fucking transducer beootch.


Hey how was that show named again? A remember watching that ages ago. Pretty much don't remember a thing (looooong time ago) only that it was good.

I believe it was the "girl from tomorrow" which spawned a sequel. I only remember seeing bits and pieces of it. The same guys would go on to write numerous other Australian shows, including some with a sci fi bent, eg Ocean Girl, Spellbinder series etc.
   Profile |  

hongi
PostPosted: 2010-09-13 05:01pm 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2006-10-15 02:14am
Posts: 1929
Location: Sydney
Our movies may have been crap, but our kid's shows were awesome.
   Profile |  

Stark
PostPosted: 2010-09-13 05:03pm 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
There was that movie where Heath Ledger was a bogan tryhard petty criminal who dies.

I liked that one. :)
   Profile |  

JointStrikeFighter
PostPosted: 2010-09-13 06:05pm 

Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker


Joined: 2004-06-12 03:09am
Posts: 1979
Location: Brisbane, Australia
You mean STRAYAN hero :P
   Profile |  

LittleLostRobot
PostPosted: 2010-09-14 02:15pm 

Redshirt


Joined: 2010-09-10 09:42pm
Posts: 8
Vympel wrote:
Just got back from seeing this with Chris O'Farrell.

It was surprisingly un-terrible.

Some random initial thoughts:-

* Some of the acting is really bad. Lee (asian dude), especially, is obviously in the running for the Hayden Christensen award. I was always expecting him to start talking about sand.

* The 'Coalition' enemy soldiers are a bit too science-fiction - they're dressed completely in black and have these weird helmets and bulky body armor. Why they're dressed in black is a mystery - it's almost as if they knew that every action scene would take place at night, when their uniforms wouldn't look as ridiculous!

* The CGI can be a bit shonky. Whoever did the CGI model for our F/A-18s canted the tail fins outward at a ridiculous angle.

* I still don't know what the Coalition fighters were supposed to be. They looked like a cross between the HAL Tejas, the Chengdu J-10, the Mirage series - any delta wing you care to name.

Still, the action scenes were pretty entertaining- the chase with the garbage truck was especially amusing, even if it was complete bullshit - I didn't know the cab of garbage trucks was impervious to assault rifle and machine gun fire.

I don't watch most movies, so this won't be a hard one to miss. I can't say this sounds like the worst movie, since it's been topped by the race war movie Machete.

The soldiers with the all black and bulky body armor are probably not meant to be seen as real troops. Movies, even when trying to seem based in a familiar setting often use unrealistic uniforms. It's because they don't want the audience to think "oh I've seen this before" and or have something semi-recognizable by the general public. Thanks for the critique, now I won't be wasting 11 bucks.
   Profile |  

Big Orange
PostPosted: 2010-09-15 07:53am 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2006-04-22 05:15pm
Posts: 7085
Location: Britain
I must say that I liked Muriel's Wedding with likable, misfit protagonist trudging through life contending with asshole siblings, a grusome father, and very bitchy "friends". I can see where Vympel is coming from this movie having that weird Outback "feeling" shared with the more fantastical Tank Girl and Madmax but in a lot of ways it feels quite real with the couch-potato suburban boredom.
   Profile |  

xt828
PostPosted: 2010-09-16 02:58am 

Padawan Learner


Joined: 2010-03-23 03:40am
Posts: 261
For my money one of the films which best captured the arse end of nowhere quality of the outback was Gone, from a couple of years back. I don't quite remember the story - I think it was some sort of average thiller with murders - but the scenery and sense of isolation was fantastic. I have relatives on properties in rural Queensland and this film brought back memories of being out there.

My brother got back from seeing the topic film last night and said it was worth watching - he's still got a valid student card so it was only $6 or so.
   Profile |  

Darth Hoth
PostPosted: 2010-09-17 06:18pm 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2008-02-15 10:36am
Posts: 2319
CaptainChewbacca wrote:
I've heard it suggested they're Japanesian, a combination of Japan and Indonesia/Malaysian. No idea about their language, though.


In the book their writing and language are gibberish. No mention of where they came from, but supposedly they are from a Commonwealth nation or former British colony otherwise, due to some uniform detail; a colonel had stars and a crown on his rank insignia, or something.
   Profile |  

MKSheppard
PostPosted: 2012-04-21 10:29pm 

Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger


Joined: 2002-07-06 06:34pm
Posts: 28163
Apologies for the necro, but this film is now showing in redbox rental kiosks in the States; and I rented it.

My favorite part was how the 'war' managed to go on and on, with the Asian Coalition putting ashore 500,000 troops (mentioned on a radio broadcast) -- somehow the US Navy mysteriously ceased to exist. :|
   Profile |  

tim31
PostPosted: 2012-04-21 11:31pm 

Sith Devotee


Joined: 2006-10-18 03:32am
Posts: 3374
Location: Tasmania, Australia
This is explained(handwaved?) in the later books; I'm surprised they didn't mention it. Apparently the US decided to ignore ANZUS for their own reasons.
   Profile |  

thejester
PostPosted: 2012-04-22 03:34am 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2005-06-10 07:16pm
Posts: 1811
Location: Richard Nixon's Secret Tapes Club Band
Wait, you mean a mysterious Asian power invading central NSW is implausible? Thanks for lifting the veil from eyes!
   Profile |  

hongi
PostPosted: 2012-04-22 05:12am 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2006-10-15 02:14am
Posts: 1929
Location: Sydney
I don't mean to be mean to my own state...but what's there to invade? I mean, after staying in Orange for a couple of weeks, I'm convinced that the only thing worth anything there was the pub.
   Profile |  

Gandalf
PostPosted: 2012-04-22 05:16am 

SD.net White Wizard


Joined: 2002-09-16 11:13pm
Posts: 12769
Location: A video store in Sydney, Australia
hongi wrote:
I don't mean to be mean to my own state...but what's there to invade? I mean, after staying in Orange for a couple of weeks, I'm convinced that the only thing worth anything there was the pub.


Coal mines in Newy spring to mind.

Maybe they want to capture Tamworth, and seize the giant guitar?
   Profile |  

cosmicalstorm
PostPosted: 2012-04-22 01:17pm 

Jedi Master


Joined: 2008-02-14 10:35am
Posts: 1179
MKSheppard wrote:
Apologies for the necro, but this film is now showing in redbox rental kiosks in the States; and I rented it.

My favorite part was how the 'war' managed to go on and on, with the Asian Coalition putting ashore 500,000 troops (mentioned on a radio broadcast) -- somehow the US Navy mysteriously ceased to exist. :|


In the book they mentioned that the US were kind enough to airlift the government and then leave them be. Even as an ignorant 11 year old that part bothered me.
   Profile |  

Stark
PostPosted: 2012-04-22 05:57pm 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
thejester wrote:
Wait, you mean a mysterious Asian power invading central NSW is implausible? Thanks for lifting the veil from eyes!


Imagine how things would have turned of if the boys from Police Rescue were around! New VS - TWTWB vs Water Rats!
   Profile |  

weemadando
PostPosted: 2012-04-22 06:02pm 

SMAKIBBFB


Joined: 2002-07-28 12:30pm
Posts: 19195
Even if they made it ashore Police Rescue would have MacGyvered our nation free.
   Profile |  

Patrick Degan
PostPosted: 2012-04-23 02:53am 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2002-07-15 08:06am
Posts: 14847
Location: Orleanian in exile
CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Srelex wrote:
Having looked this up, can I ask if this gives any clue as to who the evil foreign invaders are? Do they speak some gibberish language or have some funny accents that suggest anything?


I've heard it suggested they're Japanesian, a combination of Japan and Indonesia/Malaysian. No idea about their language, though.


An Eastern Coalition, headed perhaps by Lloyd Bochner...?*

*an old-Battlestar Galactica reference —and shamelessly lifted from the old SciFi Universe magazine
   Profile |  

Eternal_Freedom
PostPosted: 2012-04-23 11:40am 

Castellan


Joined: 2010-03-09 03:16pm
Posts: 5547
Location: Bound in a nutshell
Patrick Degan wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Srelex wrote:
Having looked this up, can I ask if this gives any clue as to who the evil foreign invaders are? Do they speak some gibberish language or have some funny accents that suggest anything?


I've heard it suggested they're Japanesian, a combination of Japan and Indonesia/Malaysian. No idea about their language, though.


An Eastern Coalition, headed perhaps by Lloyd Bochner...?*

*an old-Battlestar Galactica reference —and shamelessly lifted from the old SciFi Universe magazine


The Eastern Coalition turn up in STFC as well, apparently they were the Bad Guys (TM) in WWIII.
   Profile |  

Alkaloid
PostPosted: 2012-04-24 12:13am 

Jedi Knight


Joined: 2011-03-21 07:59am
Posts: 956
IIRC the reason given that the US didn't get involved because they were afraid of another Vietnam and were the ones that eventually brokered the peace deal, but were more than happy to more or less give heaps of gear to New Zealand to help out, which is kind of adorable now that I think about it. Like a Jack Russell with a rocket launcher trying to fight a Grizzly bear.

It also makes more sense if you realise the author wrote it because he was alarmed at the complete lack of thought the country was giving to its own defence, assuming the US would do it all, and that it was written in the mid 90's, when the US seemed far less likely to go war fighting anywhere, really.
   Profile |  

mr friendly guy
PostPosted: 2012-04-24 05:19am 

The Doctor


Joined: 2004-12-12 11:55pm
Posts: 8062
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia
Alkaloid wrote:
IIRC the reason given that the US didn't get involved because they were afraid of another Vietnam and were the ones that eventually brokered the peace deal, but were more than happy to more or less give heaps of gear to New Zealand to help out, which is kind of adorable now that I think about it. Like a Jack Russell with a rocket launcher trying to fight a Grizzly bear.

It also makes more sense if you realise the author wrote it because he was alarmed at the complete lack of thought the country was giving to its own defence, assuming the US would do it all, and that it was written in the mid 90's, when the US seemed far less likely to go war fighting anywhere, really.

So did the author give thought to how a neighbouring power would actually successfully manage the logistics to attack us? Because from other threads the invaders apparently land in South Australia, which makes no sense logistically when all other powers of note are North of us.
   Profile |  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Post a reply  Page 2 of 3
 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently 2014-09-03 12:59am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Board index » Non-Fiction » Off-Topic

Who is online: Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group