Tomorrow when the war began

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: Tomorrow when the war began

Post by Stofsk »

mr friendly guy wrote:So did the author give thought to how a neighbouring power would actually successfully manage the logistics to attack us? Because from other threads the invaders apparently land in South Australia, which makes no sense logistically when all other powers of note are North of us.
The Tomorrow series may not actually be about a plausible invasion scenario but rather capturing the mood of the times. Marsden never even revealed who the invaders were supposed to be IIRC.

Also I am not sure about the South Australia point you mention, from my recollection the invaders generally came from the north and moved downwards. But who knows.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Wirrawee was a town fairly close to the coast IIRC so a landing on the East Coast was likely (and logical really - why bother trying to fight through thousands of kilometres of useless terrain when you can do unopposed landings near/in major population centres?

And given the timeframe, even the most aggressive and best supported army couldn't come down from a Northern beach-head to take the NSW/VIC grain belt areas in the timeframe the book gives.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

The idea that the Tomorrow series is some kind of commentary on Australian national security is ludicrous. It was children's literature FFS - you got introduced to it from Grade 5 onward. Marsden wanted to create an adventure story that put teenagers (the target audience) in an extremely difficult situation - and in doing so posed questions not just about 'how would you feel about killing a guy in a war with your bare hands?' but also the shit that was directly relevant to that target audience. The narrator comes of age in the first two books - losing her virginity and trying to choose between Lee and Homer. One of the original band becomes an alcoholic, the group has to struggle with how to deal with him, and then he dies in a car crash. In as much as security gets addressed it's in the broadest of broad terms - Ellie and Homer have an argument over whether or not the invasion is proof Australia should introduce conscription or increase foreign aid, with some metaphor about fences and ambulances thrown in.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, it's all childrens lit, but FFS SW is a kids film too.

But that doesn't stop people.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Stofsk wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:So did the author give thought to how a neighbouring power would actually successfully manage the logistics to attack us? Because from other threads the invaders apparently land in South Australia, which makes no sense logistically when all other powers of note are North of us.
The Tomorrow series may not actually be about a plausible invasion scenario but rather capturing the mood of the times. Marsden never even revealed who the invaders were supposed to be IIRC.

Also I am not sure about the South Australia point you mention, from my recollection the invaders generally came from the north and moved downwards. But who knows.
thejester wrote:The idea that the Tomorrow series is some kind of commentary on Australian national security is ludicrous.
Thats sort of my thought, so I was surprised when Alkaloid mentioned that the author was "alarmed at the complete lack of thought the country was giving to its own defence."
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.