Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

R.I.P Frank Frazetta

Post by Darth Quorthon »

N.Y. Times
Frank Frazetta, Illustrator, Dies at 82; Helped Define Comic Book Heroes
By BRUCE WEBER and DAVE ITZKOFF
Published: May 10, 2010

Frank Frazetta, an illustrator of comic books, movie posters and paperback book covers whose visions of musclebound men fighting with swords and axes to defend scantily dressed women helped define fantasy heroes like Conan, Tarzan and John Carter of Mars, died on Monday in Fort Myers, Fla. He was 82.

The cause was complications from a stroke, said Rob Pistella and Stephen Ferzoco, Mr. Frazetta’s business managers.

Mr. Frazetta was a versatile and prolific comic book artist who, in the 1940s and ’50s, drew for comic strips like Al Capp’s “Lil’ Abner” and comic books like “Famous Funnies,” for which he contributed a series of covers depicting the futuristic adventurer Buck Rogers.

:(
I always loved his "death dealer" paintings, I used to have one on the door to my bedroom when I was a kid. R.I.P.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Re: R.I.P Frank Frazetta

Post by Patrick Degan »

That's still just a little too early. Frazetta was my favourite fantasy artist. I had several books of his works in my collection which was lost to the Flood and have only recently gotten two of them back as replacements.

Damn... He will be missed.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

in memorium your most famous creation, and aptly named creation...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I actually have a Death Dealer "action figure" on the shelf above my computer monitor. I also have the series of novels staring the Death Dealer character.

To tell you the truth I didn't know that he was still alive. Most of the time when I read something relating to his art it was the "Estate of Frank Frazetta" something or other so I just assumed that he had passed away. :(
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Quite simply, when I think of Swords & Sorcery, I think of Frank Frazetta's paintings. His artwork made Robert Howard's novels into international best-sellers.

Publishers used to ask him for his paintings to use as book covers, whether they had anything to do with the book or not. He had a real knack for depicting desperate, furious action and suspense:

His art fueled the imagination of millions.

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

I especially liked his John Carter of Mars works. He also did a series of promo paintings for Battlestar Galactica back in 1978 and the one of those which really grabbed my attention was his concepiction of Count Iblis being confronted by three Colonials which ran for the ABC print ad for "War Of The Gods" in that week's edition of TV Guide. The full colour plate of that piece can be seen in one of the three-volume series of his life and works (Icon, Legacy, Testament), but I can't recall which one at the moment.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

R I P

He will be missed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hats off, one last time, to the master. :(

R.I.P.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Shit. :cry:

He was the fantasy artist; hell, probably the first artist aside from historical figures who I knew by name.

I used to see adds for his work in the back of everything from comics to Starlog magazines since as far back as I can remember.

Goodbye Great One

R.I.P.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

He was one of my heroes. He greatly influenced my own artwork, not that my artwork is any good. He definitely left his mark on the world.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett