What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Darth Nostril »

Although the Girdle of Melian made me raise an eyebrow, how fat was this elf chick that her girdle could encompass a whole country?
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Reading the God Delusion, by Dawkins. Not that I need convincing, rather for school. That said, his descriptions of the 'short cuts' of the mind to process faster 'misfiring' on stimuli that they weren't necessarily designed for being a basis of religions, or accumulating the memes in the same manner, is fascinating. Most people envision themselves as... well themselves inside their bodies, to view it as basically a computer with an app for that, if cool as hell.

I especially like his descriptions of natural selection. I understood it before, but his crane metephors, along with Mount Irreducible was awesome. I also have never heard of the Cargo Cults before and find that fascinating as well, if a bit sad.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yeha I really liked Children of Hurin, but yes Silmirillion is a headache....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Right now, I'm reading Jewell Parker Rhodes' Voodoo Season, which appears to be set in a New Orleans that only exists in badly cliched movies about the city. Can't wait to see just how she's mangled the New Orleans vodou tradition in the bargain.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
The Yosemite Bear

lol, I keep having to explain to the local fundy hicks that it's a catholic sect combining animism/ancestor worship into a whole slew of new saints and angels. Which seems fine to me given how much christians have taken in european paganism into the official christian lists (Hint: Valentines used to be Lupracal, Christmas used to be a pagan holiday, and the Roman census was NOT in the winter time.)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Well, actually, vodou is an animism/ancestor worship religion which disguised itself as a Catholic sect and, slightly later, as a slew of "Christian Spiritualist" churches which still thrive in New Orleans. Today, the vodou practise is much more open and the current high priestesses (one of whom is a white Jewish woman) are quite public about their roles and the rituals they stage. But I've already seen hints —though I may be mistaken (as I haven't read quite so far yet)— that Rhodes has depicted zombification or something like it, which has actually no part in the local tradition and never has. There is the belief in spirit-possession, but that's an entirely different concept altogether.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Just finished The Samurai's Wife, the fifth book in the Sano Ichiro mystery series. Another good installment, with character development for Sano, Reiko, and even Chamberlain Yanagisawa. It also looks like the series has picked up a new recurring antagonist.

So 5 books down, 10 to go until I'm caught up.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

"Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" at the moment. Twelve hundred pages of knee-slapping entertainment, and I'm about 40% of the way through. It follows on the heels of "All Quiet on the Western Front". I'm also reading "That Is All" in my "spare" reading time.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

SCRawl wrote:"Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" at the moment. Twelve hundred pages of knee-slapping entertainment, and I'm about 40% of the way through. It follows on the heels of "All Quiet on the Western Front". I'm also reading "That Is All" in my "spare" reading time.

Isn't 'Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" supposed to be terrible?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'm currently reading A.J.P. Taylor's Struggle for the Mastery of Europe (and avoiding Thanas' wrath in the process), but it's only a holdover until Amazon gets me my copy of the fifth Dresden novel Death Mask.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

spaceviking wrote:
SCRawl wrote:"Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" at the moment. Twelve hundred pages of knee-slapping entertainment, and I'm about 40% of the way through. It follows on the heels of "All Quiet on the Western Front". I'm also reading "That Is All" in my "spare" reading time.

I found it thick going, but as histories go I wouldn't call it 'terrible.' Really almost too subjective a matter, to meaningfully comment upon.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Kanastrous wrote:
spaceviking wrote:

I found it thick going, but as histories go I wouldn't call it 'terrible.' Really almost too subjective a matter, to meaningfully comment upon.
Probably, I just remediable a prof specifically describing it as such.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I've read a heap of Doctorow lately - most recently Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.

Currently on Mass Casualties by Michael Anthony. It's a pretty dark picture he's painting.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Steve wrote:I'm currently reading A.J.P. Taylor's Struggle for the Mastery of Europe (and avoiding Thanas' wrath in the process)
My god does my lecturer love that man.
I'm currently trekking through the dross that is Duncan Falconer's 'The protector'. It is quintessentially awful, but I can't not finish a book.
It did however give me the pleasure of having a fellow student come over to me in class and tell me how much he loves it. It really gives me an insight into the literary interests of my... contemporaries.

I did just finish 'Surface Detail' by Ian M. Banks, which was magnificent if a little sardonic at times, as well as 'Arc light' by Eric Harry which was a very well written romp into WW3.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Just finished Know No Fear, which I'm sure Conner will like. Currently reading through the Jag In Space series. Wish I had encountered Jack Campbell earlier on.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I've been reading Knocking on Heaven's Door by Lisa Randall. It's been a mostly good read, although she needs to ease off on the descriptions of the Large Hadron Collider (Randall is a particle physicist, so it's not surprising that she's enthusiastic about the LHC).

I'm also on an Interplanetary Space Opera kick, and I've been reading Charles Sheffield's Cold as Ice. Great stuff so far - I just wish I could find the sequel, The Ganymede Club, at the library.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

I'm reading Catch-22 for the first time and loving it. It really relates to my military service, I like Yossarian, was privy to massive amounts of incompetency. :lol:
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

currently attacking the enormus linkage site that is http://bestsciencefictionstories.com/

They haven't steered me to a dud one yet.

EDIT: actually be careful of ones where the autohr has requested to be put up and the gatekeeper has openly said she's not read. that one was not so hot.
Last edited by madd0ct0r on 2012-03-07 02:57am, edited 1 time in total.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Finished the latest Ciaphas Cain book, the Last Ditch.

Going to polish off Firestorm (generic title I know) latest book in the destroyermen series before reading an alt history trilogy recommended to me by Thanas.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I just downloaded A Princess of Mars for free. Let's see how good it is.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Yosemite Bear

I am currently reading several books and awaiting my hardback collections of Charles Addams family, and St. Tirian's School for Young Ladies the whole appaling affair.

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

I'm in the middle of The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL. It appears everyone thinks fighting is an integral part of the game, and everything that is bad happens because The Code isn't being followed thanks to the instigator rule and the third man in rule.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I am reading my Kindle :)

Yes, I have been drawn into dark side e-book universe. Just finished To Kiss or To Kill from a series I'd be very surprised if anyone else here has heard of, and have started on something called Wool which I can apparently borrow for free. Also recently read Peter Watt's Maelstrom, also in e-format.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

You have a Fire, Broomstick?

I just picked up the LOTR Nook book for ten bucks. That's a damn good price.

Also from what I hear Google's new store thingy is running daily 25¢ sales...which Amazon is quietly matching.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

How's A Princess of Mars? I got that for free for Kindle, too, and read a couple of pages into it before going to another book. It wasn't bad, so I'll probably go back to it later.

I've just finished Dark as Day, part of a loose trilogy of SF novels by Charles Sheffield set in the Outer Solar System. Both it and Cold as Ice were great, although the former was the better of the two. The library doesn't have The Ganymede Club, so I'm going to get it off amazon for cheap.

My only quibble is that Sheffield may have had a "dirty old man" thing going on, like Harry Turtledove. Almost every POV character in the books has a sex scene, except for the 550 lb obese guy (thank cthulu).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood