OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by weemadando »

Corsair by Jack Du Brul on behalf of Clive Cussler

to be followed by

Corsairville by Graham Coster which is about flying boats and their history, primarily around Africa it would seem. A fortuitous find that cropped up in the same library catalogue search as the above book.

I also have:

The Losers - the new version, not the old "Ghost Tank" one, queued up and ready to be read.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I just finished reading the autobiography of Fanny Lewald (translated from German, obviously). Fucking fascinating; a great read. She was a middle-class Prussian Jew in the 19th century who became a self-supporting writer. She also witnessed an amazing amount of history. Professor Kant walked by her house and waved to her dad every day on his philosopher's walk, for instance. Way cool.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds and The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

I've been reading the Tales of Alvin Maker by Orson Scott Card and the Song of Fire and Ice by George R. Martin.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed. -Rowan Atkinson
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

After finishing American Gods I felt compelled to re-read my Sandman collection.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Kodiak wrote:the Song of Fire and Ice by George R. Martin.
Nitpick; It's Ice and Fire by George RR Martin.

I've been re-reading my Culture books. 'Consider Phlebas' and 'The Player Of Games'

Before that I read Stephen King's The Gunslinger. Which I found a really weird book. I read it described as dream like, which is really quite accurate. I felt entirely detached from the book and characters. I did like the flashbacks to Roland's gunslinger training but the rest of it? Not so much.

Would it be adviseable to try and read more of The Dark Tower series? Or is it more of the same?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Crazedwraith wrote: Before that I read Stephen King's The Gunslinger. Which I found a really weird book. I read it described as dream like, which is really quite accurate. I felt entirely detached from the book and characters. I did like the flashbacks to Roland's gunslinger training but the rest of it? Not so much.

Would it be adviseable to try and read more of The Dark Tower series? Or is it more of the same?
They change, but for the worse. I didn't read past book 3 or 4 or so (and I really liked the first and second books). A definite overall decline. You might want to give the comic series a go, they're all in Roland's past so far, and they're quite good.

Currently reading: "Best Served Cold", Joe Abercrombie. Author of "The first law", lots of mercenaries and betrayals so far in the first 10 pages :).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Crazedwraith wrote: Would it be adviseable to try and read more of The Dark Tower series? Or is it more of the same?
Yes, it is worth it to read some more, and no it is not all the same. In fact, books two, three and four are quite different from the first book or from the last three and are very good reads. Books 5 and 6... not so much. Book 7 is pretty good, but the underlying themes of the book are a slap in the face to longtime fans, and the continuity leaves something to be desired. Personally, I think your best bet is to read books 2, 3 and 4, and then just leave the rest up to your imagination.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Just read The Diary of Ma Yan, a look into the life of a very poor Chinese farmer girl. Well, poor until her diary got published, anyway. It was all right, and a quick read. Pretty enlightening, sometimes horrifying. It was a little dull, though.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Julian, by Gore Vidal.

If you haven't already, go read it immediately. One of the last great historical novels.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
momochan
Youngling

Post by momochan »

I just finished The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. It rambles, but the territory it rambles over is absolutely fascinating. I must visit Cappadocia.
Next up is Bonk.
"If you had fought like a man, you would not have had to die like a dog."
-said the swashbuckling Anne Bonney to her pirate lover "Calico" Jack Rackham, as he was awaiting the gallows in a Nassau jail. Only Bonney and one other crew member were left on deck fighting during a sea battle with authorities in which Rackham surrendered.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I picked up a used copy of Flight: The Complete History by RG Grant for spare change a few days ago. It's currently my take-anywhere book to read in fits and starts whenever I have five minutes, and it's really quite good. The formatting is a bit haphazard but there are many good photos with call-outs in the style of the Eyewitness books (unsurprisingly, also by DK), short pilot bios, and the text is an easy read.
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

I'm re-reading "The Naked Ape" by Desmond Morris

and re-reading L. Frank Baum's "The Wizard of Oz" for the political intrincacies.

and something called "Sartre and existentialism" by some author, obscured by the editors, to help me get reacquainted with real existentialism (the real deal, not the posing-pretentious "I'm not part of anything" kind of stuff).
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative:
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Currently reading: "Best Served Cold", Joe Abercrombie. Author of "The first law", lots of mercenaries and betrayals so far in the first 10 pages
Man, that book is seriously dark and cynical, even more so than the First Law Trilogy.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
Currently reading: "Best Served Cold", Joe Abercrombie. Author of "The first law", lots of mercenaries and betrayals so far in the first 10 pages
Man, that book is seriously dark and cynical, even more so than the First Law Trilogy.
Oh yeah. He's being pretty damn brutal with the characters so far, the first book just had the Cripple being, well, crippled (and without using any "magic solutions" for it), so far there have been eyes bubbling a plenty :D. I'm enjoying it, Abercrombie can write nasty characters pretty well (that was the best part of The First law), and this book has a lot more of them :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Just finished The Player of Games a week or two ago, and plowed through Jhereg on wednesday while sick. I have Yendi on order and The Domino Men, which is kind of a sequel to Jonathon Barnes The Somnambulist. And The Somnambulist was fucking awesome.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Going through the CAT C15 engine manual, the Cummins ISX engine manual, and the Peterbilt 367 Owner's Manual. I finished the transmission manual earlier. I'm just re-reading all of them, so it's not really new for me.

I tried starting The Odyssey (Oxford Classics edition), but I fell asleep before I cracked the cover. Been sitting in the "To Read" pile for two years now, I think.
XXXI
Dralan
Youngling

Post by Dralan »

Just finished reading The Grey Knights Omnibus by Ben Counter. That is one hell of a triology..

Before that I read through By Heresies Distressed by David Weber. I love the mix between fantasy and science fiction that he is combining in the Safehold series. It is also very interesting how he is presenting religion in this series. Would definitively advice people who like scifi/fantasy mix to check out the first book Off Armageddon Reef.
Violets are red and roses are blue, if you open up photoshop and fuck with the hue!

"Killboy. 35 missions flown, 35 replacement Fighta-Bommerz, an' 35 major bionik surgery procedures.
67 Konfirmed kills, includin' 43 actually belongin' to the enemy--
'E may 'ave been a total madboy, but 'e knew 'ow to get the job done."

~Kommander Uzgob (AKA "Maverork"), Deff Skwadron.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay. Interesting, so far, or at least poetically written.

Just finished Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger. Interesting look at history, even if his whining about Nixon being misunderstood is hilarious. Ultimately, though, it's better as a book about how diplomacy works than it is as a history. Which, um, given the title isn't surprising, I guess.

Fuck, I went batshit at a bunch of Borders and B&Ns on my U.S trip. Got everything from Brandon Sanderson to Richard Dawkins to plow through.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I've just discovered Brehm's "Animal kingdom" book in my library. Fascinated, I found that it is now public domain.

I know he's not very scientific, but that's actually a bit of a charm: he doesn't try to make big, educated guesses, he just writes down what he knows. I wonder what the board's biologists would have to say about him.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

-The Darkness that Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker, on a friend's recommendation.
-Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett for the obvious reasons.
-The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynche, for a local book club.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Faqa wrote:The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay. Interesting, so far, or at least poetically written.

Just finished Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger. Interesting look at history, even if his whining about Nixon being misunderstood is hilarious. Ultimately, though, it's better as a book about how diplomacy works than it is as a history. Which, um, given the title isn't surprising, I guess.

Fuck, I went batshit at a bunch of Borders and B&Ns on my U.S trip. Got everything from Brandon Sanderson to Richard Dawkins to plow through.
Were you in California? Orange County, specifically? In either case, I'm sure you saved a lot of money because of the exchange rates.

I'm reading Nightworld, Cadian Blood and a book about Mythology currently. It's a lot of fun.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Reading Trudi Canavans Black Magician trilogy, after that I'm going to try Larry Bonds Dangerous Ground and then see what else I can try, maybe reread Feists Magician.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Don Quixote by Cervantes. I'm up to chapter 15.

Is it bad that the most interesting part of the book so far was the short bio of Cervantes in the front of the book?
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie