What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Karza
Jedi Knight

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Karza »

D-Day: The Battle for Normandy (finnish translation). Got it as a birthday present. Also in the works are The Good Soldier Švejk books and Imperial Infatryman's Uplifting Primer :D .
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Simplicius wrote:Presently between books; I rolled through Pratchett's Nation this morning, and Iain M. Banks's Matter is next up.
Am I the only one who didn't like Nation? It wasn't bad like "Monstrous regiment", but I ended up reading it only once, then sticking it under a pile of boxes.
Matter is great, I reread it a few weeks back. Have you read any of the Culture books?

Currently reading: The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks (overrated) and The penguin history of the world.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Now I'm chewing through (pun intended) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

It delivers on all three.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Alferd Packer wrote:Now I'm chewing through (pun intended) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Hopefully the zombies are an improvement.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Hey Darcy could go all Ash like....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

So I'm on a Keegan kick lately and have moved on to A History of Warfare which if nothing else has been a very interesting dissertation on what Clausewitz got wrong (with examples :) ) and that is just the first chapter.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

For the past week I have been reading Pesticide Applicator Course for Agricultural Producers. Before that was a re-read of the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton.
Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

[R_H] wrote:
Alferd Packer wrote:Now I'm chewing through (pun intended) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Hopefully the zombies are an improvement.
Yes, the zombies make the book at least ten times better.
Are you accusing me of not having a viable magnetic field? - Masaq' Hub, Look to Windward
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I am reading the Deepgate trilogy: Scar Night, Iron Angel, and The God of Clocks.

It's weird, a sort of steampunk fantasy.

It's also very, very dark. At one point I'm thinking "this is a very icky place, I wish they'd go back to X". Then I realize "X" is in hell. That's right, some spots are so awful you'd rather be in hell. Well, maybe not, but one character was waxing nostalgic for her time there at one point. As I said, very strange.

If you don't like fantasy/magic don't read it, but as I said, there's a definite steampunk aspect to this, and there are certainly not pretty fairies and unicorns in this one. In fact, the angels are pretty fucking scary and nasty, and they're the good guys.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Just finished reading American Facists and this wonderful little novel entitled All You Need is Kill, which basically is basically the combat version of Groundhog Day. I'm rereading the Sprawl trilogy now, hoping to pick up on some new details.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Meh, I've got to get kicking on Something Wicked this way Comes. Need to do a presentation on it in a month.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Cigar Insider magazine and Classic Ships of Islam by Dionisius A. Agius.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Struggle for the Middle Sea, which is about the Med during WW2.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

'The Command of the Ocean' by N.A.M Rodger - got it and 'The Safeguard of the Sea' about a week ago and love every page both. I'm eagerly waiting for part 3 of his history of the Royal Navy.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I'm reading Ptolemy's Gate to finish out the Bartimaeus trilogy. So far they've been fun reads. I also have some kid's sci-fi to zip through.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I'm reading Nineteen Eighty-Four and re-watching Spaced.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Having finished "Toll the Hounds", I have now finished my total reread of all 8 Malazan books of the fallen (except for book 2). Over the past month and a bit, I have read almost a million words just in those series, now I just need to pick up "Dust of Dreams" when i'm in london :).
As for what I'm reading right now? Most of the comics and manga section of Iceland's national library, I just spent the past 5 hours there. Mostly rereads to be honest, but a lot of them :).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Right now I'm juggling between:
- "Így éltek a lovagkorban" ("This is how they lived in the knight-age" or "age of knights") by Kulcsár Zsuzsanna, a fairly comprehensive effort from the part of a historian to give insight into the everyday lives of your average medieval person, let it be peasant, towny, priest or noble.
- "A természettudományokról mindenkinek" ("About the natural sciences for everybody") by John & Mary Gribbin. Haven't got far, but I hope to gain even more insight into the scientific method and try to cut the edges of my patches of ignorance here and there.
- "How to win friends & influence people" by Dale Carnegie, yes it may sound like a stupid self-help book but it actually contains stuff about social skills. It mostly gives fairly reasonable advice on how to deal with people and there is nothing like "reach into your inner self". The advice is the kind that sounds quite logical, the author tries to establish them the best he could without resorting to scientific hypothesises (for example, on the subject on asking people for things, he shows us a badly-thought out advertising letter and points out why he feels appalled after reading it).
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Zixinus wrote: - "How to win friends & influence people" by Dale Carnegie, yes it may sound like a stupid self-help book but it actually contains stuff about social skills. It mostly gives fairly reasonable advice on how to deal with people and there is nothing like "reach into your inner self". The advice is the kind that sounds quite logical, the author tries to establish them the best he could without resorting to scientific hypothesises (for example, on the subject on asking people for things, he shows us a badly-thought out advertising letter and points out why he feels appalled after reading it).
I liked it, even if it lacks technical detailed advice. Just don´t let Stark hear you.
Photography
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I just reread 'Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies' by Douglas Hofstadter and team. Primarily because I was checking the feasibility of implementing a version of Letter Spirit (classic AI program) on our engine as the next demo. Still a good book, but I was surprised how much my perception of it changed. When I first read it in 2003 it seemed incredibly insightful, now it seems very naive.

Last fiction book... probably The Dark Crusade, from the Dark Wing series? It's frankly pretty awful space opera, but I am compelled to read the series because it features anthropomorphic hawks as the main aliens (yeah, slight obsession there).

I have been meaning to continue the Discworld series (I am six books in), but I'm just too busy ATM.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

The Iliad. I liked The Odyssey, and I figured I might as well take a class that'll give me credit for something I wouldn't mind reading anyway.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Finished Grapes of Wrath and blew through The Thin Man this week (which is fun and made for an interesting unintentional opposing bookend to the class issues of the 1930s... Labor issues and Communist revolution are mentioned once by an unnamed minor character at a cocktail party...).

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Finished the Bartimaeus Trilogy and was surprised, for a young adult book, how few of the characters survived. I enjoyed them greatly.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia