Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Context: I'm on a work-experience program with a small web development program, supposedly writing content for websites but in reality doing whatever is needed.

Boss: Hey, Phill! I need you to draw up some designs for our new business cards. They need to look good

Me: Um, ok, I'll give it a shot, but I'm not a graphic designer and I can't draw worth a damn.

Half an hour later

Boss: Hmm, these aren't very good, are they the best you can do?

Me: Yeah, I did say I wasn't an artist, I'm an accountant.

Boss: Yeah well you should have been able to do better than this.

Ten minutes later, after I return to my initial task.

Boss: Phill, how come that article has taken you so long?

Me: You had be spend half an hour drawing up business card designs.

Boss: Did I? Oh well, just hurry the fuck up will you?

I am so glad tomorrow is my last day. I could tolerate this shit if I was getting paid (I could count to ten and calculate how many extra pennies that gets me.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

So, right in front of me, this customer opens up a cosmetic and tries it out. She makes approving noises, then puts the open on back on the shelf and takes an unopened one. She looks right at me, smiles, and says "I would never purchase an opened bottle?"

WTF? When did THAT become acceptable? It's not a generational thing - she was definitely older than me, and I remember being raised if you break it/open it/use it you bought it.

I swear, the cosmetic aisles are inhabited by invisible poo-flinging monkeys. Except messier.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Broomstick wrote:So, right in front of me, this customer opens up a cosmetic and tries it out. She makes approving noises, then puts the open on back on the shelf and takes an unopened one. She looks right at me, smiles, and says "I would never purchase an opened bottle?"

WTF? When did THAT become acceptable? It's not a generational thing - she was definitely older than me, and I remember being raised if you break it/open it/use it you bought it.

I swear, the cosmetic aisles are inhabited by invisible poo-flinging monkeys. Except messier.
Isn't that something your LP department should deal with? That counts as theft.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

After 30 long minutes of explaining to a client why I redacted his contract a particular way:

-Whathever you say goes, I was not really paying attention.

2 hour later, I receive a call from said client:

- Why did you do X!!??
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Borgholio wrote:
Broomstick wrote:So, right in front of me, this customer opens up a cosmetic and tries it out. She makes approving noises, then puts the open on back on the shelf and takes an unopened one. She looks right at me, smiles, and says "I would never purchase an opened bottle?"

Isn't that something your LP department should deal with? That counts as theft.
Yes, but we minions are under strict orders not to confront anyone. We can report it to security, but in the overall scheme of things a lipstick or an eyeshadow may not be worth pursuing. They just write off the loss. Of course, that all adds up over time, it's truly an amazing sum how much the company loses over the course of a year to this sort of thing.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

DRUNKEN FRATBOY: So then I tell the hot Russian bartender chick with the tits like basketballs that I want to buy us both a shot of whatever she wants-

YOUR DRIVER: She's Israeli.

DRUNKEN FRATBOY: Huh?

YOUR DRIVER: Nevermind, go on.

DRUNKEN FRATBOY: So she tells me she wants to drink this shot that has a real scorpion in it! She's actually got a jar of real scorpions behind the bar!

YOUR DRIVER: How'd that go?

DRUNKEN FRATBOY: It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Hey, are you sure we're going the right way?

YOUR DRIVER: Let me get this straight: You let a hot girl who you're not taking home right now talk you into paying to drink a scorpion, and you're questioning my judgment..?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Drink a scorpion? Whatever happened to the good old-fashioned tequila worm?
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:Drink a scorpion? Whatever happened to the good old-fashioned tequila worm?
That was apparently just not enough of a choking hazard. The funny part is that I totally know this girl; I've driven her home a bunch of times. We talk about movies, mostly.
Last edited by Raw Shark on 2014-07-03 08:16am, edited 1 time in total.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

And THAT explains how you knew she was Israeli. :)
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

DRUNK AMERICAN GIRL: [out the window] HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY! AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!! WHOOOOOOO!

SEMI-DRUNK BRITISH GUY: [to me] This is why we call 4/7, "Good Riddance Day..."

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Spoiler: We don't.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zaune wrote:Spoiler: We don't.
Meh; he's still funny. ;]

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Raw Shark wrote:
Zaune wrote:Spoiler: We don't.
Meh; he's still funny. ;]
Nitram did, but only because I kept trying to drag him to celebrations.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Zaune is wrong.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

One of my co-workers had to leave early as he wasn't feeling well, so another was sent to my section. I asked the guy if he ever used an ultrasonic welder before and he said no. The moment he said that the lights in the warehouse flickered. I turned to him and said, "Next time I ask you a question, don't say no."

:)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Caller : "Hi, when I launch your software it's giving me an licensing error."

Me : "Ok, in the bottom-right hand corner of the screen do you see the icon for our update software (licensing is handled by the update software)?"

Caller : "No, I don't."

Me : "Ok it needs to be running for you to launch our software. Go to the program folder and launch the update service."

Caller : "How do I do that?"

Me : "First, click on the Start button..."

Caller : "What's that?"

Me : "The round button in the bottom left corner of the screen."

Caller : "I don't see one."

Me : "Do you see any round buttons anywhere on the screen in any of the corners or any button named Start?"

Caller : "No."

Me : "Ok, I will have to connect to your computer to troubleshoot. Please open a web browser and go to our remote support website."

Caller : "What's a web browser?"

Me : "The Internet."

Caller : "I don't know how to do that."

Me : "What operating system are you running?"

Caller : "What's an operating system?"

Me : "You might have to have your local IT tech call us so we can get connected. K, thanks...bye."

Seriously, this is so basic it boggles the mind how you can use a computer without knowing how to launch a program from the Star menu or open a web browser. It's like trying to teach someone how to drive a car and you first have to instruct them on what keys are and how to use them.
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

Co-worker: Are you trying to reproduce?
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Borgholio wrote:Seriously, this is so basic it boggles the mind how you can use a computer without knowing how to launch a program from the Star menu or open a web browser. It's like trying to teach someone how to drive a car and you first have to instruct them on what keys are and how to use them.
They probably never were trained to use a computer, not beyond the absolute bare minimum needed to do their job.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Zaune wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Seriously, this is so basic it boggles the mind how you can use a computer without knowing how to launch a program from the Star menu or open a web browser. It's like trying to teach someone how to drive a car and you first have to instruct them on what keys are and how to use them.
They probably never were trained to use a computer, not beyond the absolute bare minimum needed to do their job.
My 8-year-old knows what the start button is and how to open 'webpages'. My 3-year-old knows how to 'hit the round button'. There is no excuse for an adult not being able to follow such basic instructions.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I know a fair number of businesses who have their business computers rigged up to do only one or two things and nothing else. The end user has zero access to the operating system, the "Start" button, or anything else. If anything goes wrong there is nothing the user can do and IT must be called.

If that is a person's only experience with computer no, they won't have a clue about following your instructions to go to the start button or do a lot of other things taken for granted. Quite a few adults still don't have computers outside of work, as remarkable as that sounds. It's getting rarer, but it's far from inconceivable for that sort of situation to occur.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Most schools have their PCs similarly locked down, ostensibly to prevent vandalism, but it also makes actually learning anything beyond how to use the supplied programs excessively difficult. You can't learn if you aren't allowed to make mistakes.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

YOUR DRIVER: Okay, sure, I guess I can buy that it's possible that the government built a secret city / military base under DIA, but what would they use it for? I mean, they've already got Buckley Air Force Base right there, which is kind of huge...

NOT EVEN THAT DRUNK: Right, that's what I was talking about before with the illegals, man!

YOUR DRIVER: I don't follow.

NOT EVEN THAT DRUNK: Think about it! Why do you think it's so easy to get a green card in this country?

YOUR DRIVER: Uh, I thought it was really hard to get a green card unless you have a lot of money or a good job. That's why so many people try to sneak in.

NOT EVEN THAT DRUNK: Right, that's how it was, but now Obama's bringing millions of illegals in and hiding them in plain sight by giving them green cards. They're stockpiling military weapons under DIA for it. That's why they're building the light rail line out to the airport, so they can send train after train full of guns out there. That way, we won't realize what's happening until they rise up and take away the country from us!

YOUR DRIVER: But if they have green cards, they're here legally. And why would Obama want a foreign uprising on American soil? Wouldn't that end his presidency?

NOT EVEN THAT DRUNK: He's not afraid of them, he's afraid of real Americans because we have guns and we're not afraid to fight him for what's ours!

YOUR DRIVER: So, let me get this straight: You think Obama wants to provide a disorganized mob numbering in the millions with military weaponry, in order to disarm and control the country?

NOT EVEN THAT DRUNK: [goes broken record; stops being funny; doesn't tip]

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I can practically smell his brain smoking from here. Did you smell an exhaust leak by any chance during that ride? :)
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:I can practically smell his brain smoking from here. Did you smell an exhaust leak by any chance during that ride? :)
I was mostly just watching dipshit for sudden moves at that point.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

No security barrier?