Thanas
55%
None of the Above
14%
Abstain
10%

Total votes: 29

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Re: [VOTE] January Membership

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Grr. where's the none of the above option?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

seanrobertson wrote:I know there isn't supposed to be any "chatter" in nomination threads,

That rule has been suspended per my august new authority :D
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

As Thanas is now a forum mod, isn't he technically already a member of the Senate? Or am I missing something?

Goes back and read the HoC thread.

He isn't? Well, we can't have that, can we?

Thanas
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Frankly, the nominations made without supporting threads should not have been included as a matter of course.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Hotfoot wrote:Frankly, the nominations made without supporting threads should not have been included as a matter of course.
The reason they were was in direct response to the idea of the "old boys club." Essentially the bar for membership nomination was set as low as practicable. I've tried to be clear, and obviously one could be mroeso, that any and all nominations would be considered but don't be suprised if folks don't vote for people if you don't provide support for their candidacy. Much as in the real world if you get the petition filled out you too could run for elected office, but if you never bother to show the voters who you are well then do't be suprised that nobody voted for you.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Hotfoot wrote:Frankly, the nominations made without supporting threads should not have been included as a matter of course.
Indeed. We should petition the mods of HoC to enforce that particular caveat.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Voted.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Christ, Wilkens, spamming up my PM inbox? The hell?

... err, voted. :wink:
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Hooray for voting.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Given the various points of contention surrounding the current candidates and voting procedures, I abstain.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Bounty, though J and Thanas deserve it too.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Voted.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I hereby change my vote from "Abstain" to a vote for Thanas.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Voting is now closed, with 44 votes recorded we have a quorum to do business. There are 6 votes for Ace Pace, 3 for Bounty, 4 for J, and 11 for Thanas. All other votes were recorded as "Abstain." With a plurality of all votes vast Thanas is elected to the Senate.

-Kingdom of Heaven
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Point of order several people asked for the none of the above option. This months voting did not allow people to vote against having adding anyone new to the Senate.

Therefor it was impossible to vote not to add someone to the Senate. I hereby call this vote rigged and demand a re-vote

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Mr Bean wrote:Point of order several people asked for the none of the above option. This months voting did not allow people to vote against having adding anyone new to the Senate.

Therefor it was impossible to vote not to add someone to the Senate. I hereby call this vote rigged and demand a re-vote
Do you have a second for you motion to recommit?

-Kingdom of Heaven
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

I'll second the motion, but not because I've anything against Thanas: I think he, J and Bounty are all worthy senators.

The reason I second stems from the fact that, given my rather limited time, I'd like to bring as much attention possible to the supposed "joke" nominations made via the HoC. If the Senate was indeed a "good ole' boys only" member club -- an assertion which, I might add, no one has backed up with a fucking shred of proof -- I don't see that the HoC nomination process is at all an improvement.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Considering that the motion is seconded, I will refrain from posting in the senate from now on.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Point of order: The motion to recommit is out of order. The rules of the Senate specifically state that a plurality is all that is required to pass a Category C vote (3.D.I), and that a vote to abstain counts toward establishing a quorum but does not count against the passage of the question (3.C.III). Therefore, each Senator who abstained automatically consented to the main motion's validity as entered. With 44 votes recorded, a quorum to do business is established and Thanas's election is completely correct and valid as per the rules. If the motion were considered objectionable, the proper course of action would have been to move to table the question or to refuse to vote and kill the motion by denying a quorum. Abstention is not a valid means of killing a motion. Thanas's election is proper and valid by the rules of order, and is as full and equal a member as any of this community. As the senior Senator of the board, this member feels an obligation to uphold Thanas's rights as a duly and properly elected Senator. Therefore, this Senator shall also refrain from posting or voting in the Senate so long as Thanas does.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Indeed. This one should go through, with Thanas being a full member without any negative connotations. Go vote in the rules update I've proposed durring the current vote and issue at hand to change the problem instead of fighting what has already come to pass.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Edit: Voted.
Last edited by Eleas on 2009-02-01 05:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

And I again punch the ticket for Thanas.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Pat Buchannan! Err . . . I mean Thanas!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

voted
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet