Large Roman hoard found in Devon

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Large Roman hoard found in Devon

Post by Dartzap »

Found no more than a few miles from where I am now. I suspect they were saving up for a ride on the trams
An East Devon metal detector enthusiast has stumbled upon one of the largest hoards of Roman coins ever found in Britain, prompting a local museum to launch a campaign to buy the “remarkable” collection for the nation.

The British Museum announced the discovery of the Seaton Down Hoard today. Comprising of about 22,000 coins dating back more than 1,700 years, it is the fifth largest find of Roman coins in Britain.

Laurence Egerton, 51, a semi-retired builder from East Devon, discovered two ancient coins “the size of a thumbnail” buried near the surface of a field with his metal detector in November last year.

After digging deeper, his shovel came up full of the copper-alloy coins. “They just spilled out all over the field,” he said. “It was an exciting moment. I had found one or two Roman coins before but never so many together.”

The metal detectorist called in the experts and watched amazed as archaeologists discovered thousands more coins buried about a foot deep. To ensure the site was not tampered with Mr Egerton slept in his car nearby “for three cold nights” until the dig was finished.

“It’s by far the biggest find I’ve ever had. It really doesn’t get any better. It is so important to record all of these finds properly because it is so easy to lose important insights into our history,” Mr Egerton said. He found the coins near the Honeyditches site in Devon where a Roman villa had previously been excavated.

Bill Horner, county archaeologist at Devon County Council, said: “We realised the significance and mobilised a team as fast as we could.” He continued: “The coins were in remarkably good condition. Coming out of the ground you could see the portrait faces; a family tree of the House of Constantine.”

Over the past 10 months the coins have been lightly cleaned, identified and catalogued at the British Museum, although there is still more work to do. They range from late AD 260 to almost AD 350. Mr Horner said the coins bore a range of portraits, describing it as a “family tree of the House of Constantine”.

The British Museum called the scale of the find “remarkable", adding that it was "one of the largest hoards ever found within the whole Roman Empire”. The largest find in Britain was the Cunetio Hoard of almost 55,000 coins discovered near Mildenhall, Wiltshire in 1978

The coins would not have been particularly valuable at the time; with experts estimated they would then have been worth about four gold coins, equivalent to a worker’s pay for two years.

The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery in Exeter hopes to raise money to buy the collection and appealed to the public to donate.

The hoard is yet to be fully valued, but one expert said it would be worth less than £100,000. The proceeds will be split between Mr Egerton and the landowner, Clinton Devon Estates.

One of the coins is particularly special. It marks the one millionth find of the Portable Antiquities Scheme, set up in 1997 to provide a record of all the finds brought in by members of the public.

The scheme is managed by the British Museum and funded by the Department for Culture, Media, and Sport’s grant-in-aid to the institution.

Neil MacGregor, director of the British Museum said: “You know what it’s like; you sit waiting for the millionth object to come along and 22,000 come along at once.”

The special coin, called a nummus, was struck by Constantine the Great to celebrate the inauguration of the new city of Constantinople, now Istanbul.

The scheme was set up to keep track of all the finds by metal detectorists and enthusiasts and provide a resource for scholars to study historical objects. Since 1997 a total of 500 Roman coin hoards have been discovered across the country.

Major finds since the PAS scheme was set up include the Staffordshire Hoard, dating to the 7th century, the largest Anglo-Saxon hoard of gold and silver ever found. There have also been significant Viking and Bronze Age finds.

The British Museum said recording the finds has helped revolutionise the understanding of battlefields including Naseby in 1645 and the Battle of Bosworth in 1485. There, the find of a silver-gilt boar badge helped pinpoint where Richard III met his death.

Successful metallers

The Staffordshire Hoard

Terry Herbert found the largest ever Anglo-Saxon hoard of gold and silver with his metal detector in 2009. It consisted of over 3,500 items, almost exclusively “war-gear”.

The Frome Hoard

A collection of 52,500 silver and copper alloy coins were discovered in a round clay pot by hospital chef Dave Crisp in 2010. They dated to the reign of Carausius

The Vale of York Hoard

David Whelan and his son Andrew used metal detectors to discover the treasure in 2007 in an empty field. The 10th century Viking hoard included 617 silver coins and other items.

Boughton Malherbe Hoard

One of the largest Bronze Age hoards was discovered in Kent in 2011. The 346 artefacts, which date to 800BC were discovered by friends Wayne Coomber and Nick Hales.
One of the small bonuses of being in Gods Waiting Room is that everything stays where you left it :) Here's hoping the RAMM finds the money to acquire it. Can't think of a better museum around here.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Large Roman hoard found in Devon

Post by Thanas »

The most important thing right there is the date range - a hoard from 260 to 350 AD is very interesting, especially with regards to the history of that day. This got me pumped.

EDIT: However, it looks as if most of the coins are already known types, so this doesn't seem that interesting. The Constantinian coinage is pretty well known and I'd be surprised if any new type comes to light.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

This is stilll a great find for all involved. The landowner and the discoverer get a nice sum of money and the museum gets a fine collection of historical coins (even if they're nothing super special, they still deserve to be preserved and displayed).

I wonder though, what are the sources of these caches? Are they savings deposits (heh) that someone buried and never came back for? Are they places where a battle was fought and a bag of coins fell to the ground only to be overlooked and buried?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Borgholio wrote:I wonder though, what are the sources of these caches? Are they savings deposits (heh) that someone buried and never came back for? Are they places where a battle was fought and a bag of coins fell to the ground only to be overlooked and buried?
In the news report I saw earlier tonight someone speculated it might have been workers' wages for a farm or industrial site or something, and Something Nasty™ might have happened before payday.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

SpottedKitty wrote:
Borgholio wrote:I wonder though, what are the sources of these caches? Are they savings deposits (heh) that someone buried and never came back for? Are they places where a battle was fought and a bag of coins fell to the ground only to be overlooked and buried?
In the news report I saw earlier tonight someone speculated it might have been workers' wages for a farm or industrial site or something, and Something Nasty™ might have happened before payday.
That is almost certainly impossible. Farms that large did not exist and fabricae of that size did not exist either in Britain. Meanwhile, soldiers were paid in silver, so that is out too.

Borgholio wrote:This is stilll a great find for all involved. The landowner and the discoverer get a nice sum of money and the museum gets a fine collection of historical coins (even if they're nothing super special, they still deserve to be preserved and displayed).

I wonder though, what are the sources of these caches? Are they savings deposits (heh) that someone buried and never came back for? Are they places where a battle was fought and a bag of coins fell to the ground only to be overlooked and buried?
There were no banks in ancient times, so people buried their money. Sometimes they also buried it when enemies arrived to come back later to retrieve it. As to the battle theory, that is a bit less likely as there is no way 22.000 coins would have been overlooked. The most likely cause of explanation is either a deposit or an official collection (tax or temple).
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

A most impressive find.

And I didn't write that just to remark about how amusing it is that this is the one thing that might make our dear History mod go SQUEE. Nope. Not at all.... ;)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

As Thanas points out, there's no way that twenty-two thousand coins would be just casually overlooked on a battlefield or anywhere else looters would be moving around freely.

Looking at the passage in the article, if true... that says that the whole mass of coins was 'only' two years' wages for a common laborer. Then again, two years' wages for a common laborer today might only be around, oh, forty to fifty thousand dollars.

So you might say that this is the equivalent of losing a large suitcase stuffed with twenty thousand one and five dollar bills in bundles, or some such. It could happen, it probably has happened, but it wouldn't be easy unless some kind of foul play or truly amazing stupidity were involved.

EDIT: Also, I honestly don't know what typical Roman coins weighed, but a sack of twenty thousand pennies would weigh roughly fifty kilograms- too much for one person to carry except with extreme difficulty. Assuming Roman coins were as heavy as, or heavier than, pennies (which seems likely to me, but I emphasize that I don't know), the overall size of this hoard could easily be a man's weight or more in metal.

Which probably explains why Thanas thinks it likely that these coins were a stash collected from taxes or temple donations.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:Which probably explains why Thanas thinks it likely that these coins were a stash collected from taxes or temple donations.
The explanation I would think most likely would be a local toll collector, the tolls on goods being those exacted when one would cross from one province into the next. Given that this happened in Devon, I would most likely think it to be tolls from goods crossing into/out of Britannia via ports, or tolls from the late 3rd century subdivision of Britannia Prima (West country and Wales) into Maxima Caesariensis (London and east).

It is quite likely that a local toll collector got ambushed or lost the money while travelling.
Simon_Jester wrote:Looking at the passage in the article, if true... that says that the whole mass of coins was 'only' two years' wages for a common laborer. Then again, two years' wages for a common laborer today might only be around, oh, forty to fifty thousand dollars.
This number is most likely wrong. Even assuming these coins are all the lowest value of bronze coins, this would still be about five years of wages for an unskilled worker. (monthly wage for an unskilled farmhand would be around 400 as per the price edict of Diocletian).

Your analogy with dollars is apt, but too generous. This would be the equivalent of carrying it around in low value coins, literally pennies stuffed in a suitcase. It really does not make any sense except in toll collections. Any farmhand who would carry that amount of money with him would probably have changed at least parts of it into silver coins. But these are apparently coins of a single value - and a low one to boot.
------------
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:This number is most likely wrong. Even assuming these coins are all the lowest value of bronze coins, this would still be about five years of wages for an unskilled worker. (monthly wage for an unskilled farmhand would be around 400 as per the price edict of Diocletian).
Yeah, I'd been a bit suspicious myself. Although note, then, that in US terms, five years' wages for an unskilled worker is likely to be a hundred thousand dollars, and a month's wages would be around 1500 dollars.

So each of those low-denomination bronze coins is in a real sense equivalent to a five dollar bill today, hence my analogy.
Your analogy with dollars is apt, but too generous. This would be the equivalent of carrying it around in low value coins, literally pennies stuffed in a suitcase. It really does not make any sense except in toll collections. Any farmhand who would carry that amount of money with him would probably have changed at least parts of it into silver coins. But these are apparently coins of a single value - and a low one to boot.
Come to think of it, an American tollbooth would end up accumulating a LOT of five dollar bills...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

If it's really mostly nummi (as said in the article) found there, then it's the more like the equivalent to a barrel of quarters. 22000 nummi would be like 2 or 3 solidi.

Might be a bridge or road toll. You'd collect a nummus from everyone passing it.

Gets heavy after a while, and dangerous, since you only get visited by the tax collectors once a week or month. So you'd bury them somewhere nearby to keep them safe. Cue heart attack or someone vehemently opposed to paying, or a simple murder-robbery, and nobody knows where the monthly bridge toll has gone.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

LaCroix wrote:If it's really mostly nummi (as said in the article) found there, then it's the more like the equivalent to a barrel of quarters. 22000 nummi would be like 2 or 3 solidi.
I think you mean the Byzantine coin. The follis you mean was worth a lot more than that. 180 of them = 1 solidus. If that is the case it is worth a lot more.
------------
------------
My LPs
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

If you say so - you are the professional in this topic, after all. The value of roman coins was quite fluid over time, after all ...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.