US Civil War (2011-2015) Sesquicentennial -- Important Note!

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

US Civil War (2011-2015) Sesquicentennial -- Important Note!

Post by MKSheppard »

If you are planning on attending a re-enactment for the 150th, I suggest you do a google search for that battle's 150th; e.g. Shiloh 150 to find out as much as you can about the re-enactment and whether you need tickets or not.

This is crucially important, and hence why I'm stickying this, for I tried to go to the Balls Bluff 150th, only to be told that you needed tickets to get in, and the last tickets sold out the night before. :x

Upcoming:

Shiloh -- March 29, 2012 to April 1, 2012 (actual battle anniversary is on 6-7 April)
Antietam and South Mountain -- September 8 to 9, 2012
Battle of Hampton Roads (USS Monitor - CSS Virginia) - March 9 through 11, 2012

EDIT:
You may also use this thread to discuss random items found in the news related to the 150th.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Re: US Civil War (2011-2015) Sesquicentennial -- Important N

Post by Metatwaddle »

Hope this is relevant: the NYT has a series called Disunion that publishes articles about Civil War events, roughly corresponding to the 150th anniversary of whenever they happened. They're coming out frequently: one every few days. I'm not a historian and can't speak to the scholarship, but the articles are written for interested laypeople and some are quite good. You can find them here.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
MKSheppard

Re: US Civil War (2011-2015) Sesquicentennial -- Important N

Post by MKSheppard »

added

Antietam and South Mountain -- September 8 to 9, 2012

Battle of Hampton Roads (USS Monitor - CSS Virginia) - March 9 through 11, 2012
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944