sources of historical GDP

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

sources of historical GDP

Post by mr friendly guy »

I have heard it said that the GDP of the Soviet Union never got any where close to the US GDP. Since the USSR doesn't exist anymore, sources like the IMF won't display historical GDP for it. I am was wondering if there is any source listing both the countries GDP for comparison, or at least the Soviet GDP from say 1950 until its collapse in 1991. US GDP I can get from the IMF website.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Re: sources of historical GDP

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Late Agnus Maddison site has excellent data:
Excel file:Statistics on World Population, GDP and Per Capita GDP, 1-2008 AD
1928-1990 USSR GDP as percentage of US GDP at Purchasing Power Parity:
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Is there one at GDP nominal as well?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

I doubt there is reliable data for nominal value of USSR GDP since it was a communist country however usually a country with middle income level will have nominal GDP about 50%-80% of PPP GDP.
For example here is nominal/PPP GDP ratio of some middle income countries today:
Russia 77%
Ukraine 50%
Poland 66%
Turkey 72%
Thailand 57%
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman