Rating animal protection societies

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Rathark
Padawan Learner

Rating animal protection societies

Post by Rathark »

Do we have any experts on animal protection societies here? I know that PETA is at the bottom of the barrel, but I'd like to know how those with past knowledge / experience would rate other societies such as WSPA, ILPH, RSPCA, and CANFACT. What do you know of their honesty and integrity?
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I'm no expert, but I have yet to see any bad press about the RSPCA - they arent going round telling everybody to be vegetarians as that's not what they're there for, they are helping with pets, animal rights etc without being extreme about it. I'm very big on the RSPCA and RSPB, although am certainly no expert.

Not to say however, that there aren't more extreme animal rights groups in the UK, but at least the major ones arent involved.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Now that this is in a seperate threat.

What the heck is PETA?
Since I'm no American I don't have a clue what it is, only that it has to do something with animal protection.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Tribun wrote:Now that this is in a seperate threat.

What the heck is PETA?
Since I'm no American I don't have a clue what it is, only that it has to do something with animal protection.
People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

Seriously though, it's People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, and they're seriously wacked, going so far as to promote violence against humans in order to protect animals. I strongly suspect that they are the basis for the bad guys in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Hotfoot wrote:
Tribun wrote:Now that this is in a seperate threat.

What the heck is PETA?
People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

Seriously though, it's People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, and they're seriously wacked, going so far as to promote violence against humans in order to protect animals. I strongly suspect that they are the basis for the bad guys in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.
You mean that they are so brain-dead, that they whant that apes should get the right to vote? :roll:
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Tribun wrote:You mean that they are so brain-dead, that they whant that apes should get the right to vote? :roll:
More like we should almost worship animals as gods. Of course, they have no problem with the wonton slaughtering of plants. They still seem to think we evolved from vegitarians.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Hotfoot wrote:
Tribun wrote:You mean that they are so brain-dead, that they whant that apes should get the right to vote? :roll:
More like we should almost worship animals as gods. Of course, they have no problem with the wonton slaughtering of plants. They still seem to think we evolved from vegitarians.
That is more than brain-dead, that is only idiotic.

Well, I would say them: "Hey PETA! I'm proud of eating steaks and hamburgers, have shot my nighbors dog when it again violated my garden and sience should have the right to use animal tests! So drop dead!" :twisted:
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Tribun wrote:That is more than brain-dead, that is only idiotic.

Well, I would say them: "Hey PETA! I'm proud of eating steaks and hamburgers, have shot my nighbors dog when it again violated my garden and sience should have the right to use animal tests! So drop dead!" :twisted:
And now you know why we don't like them overly much.

As far as I'm concerned, they can just go take a hike naked through the Congo and become at one with nature.
The Realm of Confusion
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

PETA honestly doesn't give a shit what you think of them, as to them, any publicity is good publicity.

How's the American Humane Society's reputation?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The RSPCA are good, they go around picking up dangerous/neglected animals and the like.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

The quality of the initiatives of these non-profit save-the-world groups varies mainly by what they're trying to protect. For pets, local community groups do more and are more likely to actually do good for animals and people together than any large organization.

Most of the beef (har!) with activists logically comes with livestock, research stock, and wildlife, since they are invariably the ones getting their asses kicked by humans all over the world.

That said, what are you looking for? Governments, International groups, regional (and usually specific-to-environment) groups, or community action groups all look at a different slice of the pie and depending on what you want to protect, success comes from different directions. Are you trying to find out who's best at saving the whales, monitoring researchers, inspecting high-density cattle lots, or keeping people from beating Lassie?
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Annoying and stupid as they are PETA sometimes inadvertantly does something that isn't all bad. :D

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Still, it is PETA, therefor it is evil through association.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

The message is stupid, but I think, they should have made the second photo more showing.... :D
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The first picture looks delicious, though they probably should have consulted a butcher. Her parts are, in some places, mis-labeled. :lol:
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

they're mocking us with nearly naked hotties?![size=0]yes, i realize they're completely naked but unless we can see it it doesn't count. *s*[/size] now THAT is cruel and unusual punishment!
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

the bund-naturschutz are ok. they build up fences along streets which are known to be frog crossing areas. they collect the frogs in buckets and carry them over the street so the stupid frogs can get back to the pond where they were born and mate. stuff like that basicly.
The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

PETA promote animals over people- that's insane. What they do is borderline illegal, not to mention brain-dead.

Most local humane societies are quite good, they take in orphaned and abandoned animals, and put them up for adoptiong. Ours have collection boxes in most major stores, but aren't militant about it at all- most of their employees are volunteers, many of them teenagers. Essentially, if an organisation puts out its views without compelling anyone to join them or attacking those that choose to use animals for whatever the hell they wnat (hey, we evolved, they didn't- tough bananas), I'm fine with them.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

*is vegetarian and doens't wear fur*

I can look at the naked chicks with guilt-free impure thoughts.
Nyahnehneh-neh!
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

What makes you think the rest of us are feeling guilt? :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I'm an artist, so I don't feel any guilt. ;)

The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

The only way that will make you feel guilty is if you equate beautiful women- who can do many things for me and will mind being killed, with animals- who do little for me except make me full and who don't know up until they die what that big silver thing is.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

What big silver thing?

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

my thoughts were never pure in the first place. i can watch all the pr0n i want guilt free. :D
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

InnerBrat wrote:*is vegetarian and doens't wear fur*

I can look at the naked chicks with guilt-free impure thoughts.
Nyahnehneh-neh!
Guilt?

What is this guilt thing you speak of.

Either way PETA basically is an overhyped organization of idiots who don't realize how dumb they look to many.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete