Crows and magpies using anti-bird spikes to build nests

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Crows and magpies using anti-bird spikes to build nests

Post by bilateralrope »

Crows and magpies using anti-bird spikes to build nests, researchers find
Dutch study identifies several examples of corvids’ ‘amazing’ ability to adapt to the urban environment

Ian Sample Science editor
@iansample
Tue 11 Jul 2023 15.41 BST

Birds have never shied away from turning human rubbish into nesting materials, but even experts in the field have raised an eyebrow at the latest handiwork to emerge from urban crows and magpies.

Nests recovered from trees in Rotterdam in the Netherlands and Antwerp in Belgium were found to be constructed almost entirely from strips of long metal spikes that are often attached to buildings to deter birds from setting up home on the structures.

The discovery prompted researchers at the Natural History Museum in Rotterdam and the Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden to scour the internet for further examples, leading to the identification of two more anti-bird spike nests: one in Enschede in the Netherlands and another in Glasgow.

“I really thought I’d seen it all,” said Kees Moeliker, the director of the Natural History Museum Rotterdam, who studied the crow’s nest found during tree maintenance near the city’s main railway station. “I didn’t expect this. These anti-bird spikes are meant to deter birds, they are supposed to scare them off, but on the contrary, the birds just utilise them.”

While the Rotterdam nest was made by crows, the other three were built by magpies, which construct large dome-like nests. The crows used the anti-bird spikes as a sturdy construction material, but the magpies may have appreciated their intended use: they placed most of the spikes on the nest’s roof where they could deter predators, including other birds and weasels.

Auke-Florian Hiemstra, a biologist at the Naturalis Biodiversity Center, said: “Even for me as a nest researcher, these are the craziest bird nests I’ve ever seen.”

It is not the first time birds have been found to incorporate urban materials into their nests. In 1933, a South African museum reported a crow’s nest fashioned from hard-drawn copper, galvanised iron and barbed wire. Nails, screws and even drug users’ syringes have all found their way into birds’ nests.

About 25 years ago, Moeliker collected a pigeon’s nest from an oil refinery in Rotterdam harbour, a place he described as having “nothing green, only industry, concrete and bad air”.

The nest was made not from twigs but chicken wire. As an example of birds’ ability to adapt to the urban environment, he considered it the ultimate. “It turns out that it wasn’t,” he said, in view of the latest crow and magpie nests. They are described in Deinsea, the annual of the Natural History Museum Rotterdam.

Rather than finding old strips of anti-bird spikes at rubbish dumps, Moeliker, who previously won an Ig Nobel prize for documenting the first known case of homosexual necrophilia among ducks, says crows and magpies appear to be finding and removing the metal strips from buildings. “They are ripping the stuff off. It’s been observed in several kinds of birds,” he said.

On Monday, a European team of researchers warned that nearly 200 bird species build nests with potentially dangerous human litter ranging from cigarette butts to plastic bags and fishing nets. Dr Jim Reynolds, an ornithologist at the University of Birmingham, who took part in that work said he was “amazed” at the anti-bird spike nests, but added that if any group of birds was going to do it, it would be the corvids, who are known for their cognitive skills.

“I was really struck by the irony, to take anti-bird devices and use them to their own ends,” Reynolds said. “They are even more amazing than I think they are.” As well as helping to protect the nests, the spikes may also serve as a display to impress potential mates, he said.

Anti-bird spikes are not only attached to building ledges to deter birds from nesting. In 2017, residents in the leafy Clifton neighbourhood of Bristol fixed bird-repelling spikes to trees to stop pigeons perching on the branches and creating a mess on parked cars below.

“We should not deter birds, we should embrace birds and live together with them,” said Moeliker. “These birds are very smart and they always find ways to cope with the harsh urban life. I’m very sympathetic towards these crows and magpies. They are my heroes.”
So much for those spikes preventing birds.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Crows and magpies using anti-bird spikes to build nests

Post by Broomstick »

I agree, though, that if any birds would find a way to use anti-bird spikes for their own ends it would, indeed, be the corvids. They are scary smart. The magpies using the spikes to deter predators is just genius.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I'm guessing the magpies only want the shiniest of spikes.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

As this is Crows and Magpies making these nests, you know they are teaching their kids/grandkids/cousins how to do this as well.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Moeliker, who previously won an Ig Nobel prize for documenting the first known case of homosexual necrophilia among ducks,
Wait, go back to that part.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Male mallard ducks are rapists. To the point they sometimes drown their mates during sex. There's also this bizarre evolutionary dance between duck genders resulting in progressively more elaborate genitals. On top of that, there's a high rate of homosexual encounters in mallards, including homosexual rape. Anyhow, if you know about mallard duck sex/rape then you wouldn't really be surprised by homosexual necrophilia in mallard ducks.

Have a TED talk on the subject
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Something that I don't think was covered in the OP Article --

WHERE are the magpies and crows getting the strips? Are they removing them from roofs and other places? Is this scrap metal they found and reused?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

They're removing them from roofs and the like. If you go on YouTube you can find an abundance of birds doing just that. Apparently in Australia Cockatoos don't use them to build nests, they just yank them off buildings and throw them on the ground.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

There are also pigeons who build their nest on the spikes.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I had a magpie like 40 centimeters away from my face this morning, saw it through half closed blinds as it stood on the window sill.

That's my story.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.