Gyrojet - any way to improve it.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Gyrojet - any way to improve it.

Post by Zixinus »

There are two niche applications that I imagine to be useful with gyrojets as they are:

- The first, and immediately obvious, is that of underwater work. The problem with bullets underwater is that water has more resistance to pass trough than air. The kinetic energy of the bullet is wasted just getting to the target. With a gyrojet, that problem is at least partially solved, as the mini-rocket constantly gives acceleration. Range is thus improved.

- Long-range sniping. Gyrojets have longer range and less drop due to it accelerating mid-way. The fact that it does not immediately reveal the shooter's position by flash (or by the sound of the projective exiting the barrel) is a bonus, especially considering that it does this without special modification.

That said, I'd like to see this thing being fired into ballistic gel, to see how a constantly-accelerating rocket will do inside the body.

About the price: there is no way to truly reduce that, at least not to the level of regular cartridges. This is due to the precision required to make the vents is more complicated to do than making regular cartridges. Not to mention how the rocket works, which I have no idea.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I don't really think the range thing holds water. Remember, those things keep steady through vents in the back of the projectile. So even a very slight misalignment of these could, over sniper ranges compound to something massive. You don't even need shoddy engineering like the original rounds. Even a very slight variance will add up. If anything, I would examine options to have the thing fin stabilized instead or fired from a rifled barrel with a primary charge bolter style.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

You're better off removing flash and sound by using a suppressor. Fin stabilization won't be all that great on a gyrojet round either, since at low speeds, your aerodynamic stabilization provided by the fins is rather low, so it'll tend to wander for the first bit after leaving the barrel. Also, with fin stabilization, you've got the counter intuitive factor of wind causing the projectile to drift upwind. You're better off with the bolter idea.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

*Bows*

Just as a side note, but the Germans were big on rocket munitions during the war and I seem to remember that a lot of them were spin stabilized. Would such retro applications be of benefit/value?

Much cheers to you and yours.
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

German rocket munitions didn't have a high degree of accuracy required, since they were primarily bombardment devices.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

seems the best bet would be a small traditional powder charge for out of the barrel acceleration of a few hundred m/s. the price of the ammo might be considerably cheaper now than it was in the 60s and 70s due to the proliferation and advancement of small scale fabrication.

a bit off topic, but the mention of using gyrojet rounds underwater made me remember a thought i had, has anybody tried to use supercavitating or otherwise stabilized rounds as sort of an anti-torpedo CIWS?
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?