Denial of the African origins of Ancient Egypt?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

PharaohMentuhotep
Redshirt

Re: Denial of the African origins of Ancient Egypt?

Post by PharaohMentuhotep »

Thanas wrote:Was Kleopatra VII a broad-featured African?
Cleopatra VII was of Macedonian Greek ancestry having descended from Ptolemy I, a general of Alexander the Great who took over the Egyptian territory and declared himself Pharaoh after Alexander's death. That is well known.

It is interesting to note that, according to some anthropologists, there is anthropometric evidence of intermingling between native "Black" Egyptians and Cleopatra's family members:

Perhaps the Ptolmaic family was not as purely European as originally thought.

As far as artwork is concerned as Keita noted they are suspect as data given that the Ancient Egyptians used conventions
however I think it would be fair to say that the artwork was not completely divorced from reality.

Given the realistic skintones, clothing and hair textures the Ancient Egyptians used in art it is reasonable to suggest that, especially in life-like settings, the paintings were meant to depict reality. Obviously people do not have green or blue skin and women are not universally a different shade of skin in any human population however artwork can give us clues about the physical characteristics present in Ancient Egypt that can be further supported by anthropological evidence.

On a side note I would argue that the morphological features of the Berlin bust of Nefertiti would not be unusual in tropical East Africa:

Image Image

The arguments in this thread are getting long-winded and a bit hostile (though I see hostility is not against the rules on this board).

Maybe it would be helpful if people made a list of their disagreements with other posters.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

PharaohMentuhotep wrote:It is interesting to note that, according to some anthropologists, there is anthropometric evidence of intermingling between native "Black" Egyptians and Cleopatra's family members:

Perhaps the Ptolmaic family was not as purely European as originally thought.
I'd find it odd if her family hadn't "intermingled" with the natives. The Ancient world didn't have many of our modern day cultural taboos against inter-ethnic marriages (which, honestly, have faded significantly during the latter half of the 20th Century) and marrying the native royalty/aristocrats has long been a way for conquerors to legitimize their claims to the throne.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Broomstick wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:
Big Triece wrote:Case and point look at what Broomstick did in his analysis of Egyptian art.
Broomstick is a she.
While that is true, I don't feel my gender is relevant to the debate and therefore never corrected BigT. Given that most people on SD.net are, in fact, male that's not an unreasonable guess on his part.
Ah. I had missed that. I do not criticize Triece for the guess; I just tend to correct people on this by default. I hope you don't mind.
Broomstick wrote:I'd find it odd if her family hadn't "intermingled" with the natives. The Ancient world didn't have many of our modern day cultural taboos against inter-ethnic marriages (which, honestly, have faded significantly during the latter half of the 20th Century) and marrying the native royalty/aristocrats has long been a way for conquerors to legitimize their claims to the throne.
True, but then the Ptolemaic dynasty did have a family tree which bore a disturbing resemblance to a telephone pole. Cleopatra VII was the product of a truly unreasonable amount of inbreeding.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Broomstick wrote:While that is true, I don't feel my gender is relevant to the debate and therefore never corrected BigT. Given that most people on SD.net are, in fact, male that's not an unreasonable guess on his part.
Ah. I had missed that. I do not criticize Triece for the guess; I just tend to correct people on this by default. I hope you don't mind.
No, as I said, it's not really relevant either way. In some ways, my being addressed by the wrong pronouns seems to disturb others more than it does me.
I'd find it odd if her family hadn't "intermingled" with the natives. The Ancient world didn't have many of our modern day cultural taboos against inter-ethnic marriages (which, honestly, have faded significantly during the latter half of the 20th Century) and marrying the native royalty/aristocrats has long been a way for conquerors to legitimize their claims to the throne.
True, but then the Ptolemaic dynasty did have a family tree which bore a disturbing resemblance to a telephone pole. Cleopatra VII was the product of a truly unreasonable amount of inbreeding.
Well, the Egyptian royals did practice incest on a regular basis, I'm assuming the Ptolemies picked it up from them.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

PharaohMentuhotep
Redshirt

Post by PharaohMentuhotep »

Spoonist wrote:@PharaohMentuhotep
Thanks for your reply. It was what I was hoping I'd get from bigT but didn't.
"by that he means it has no connections with the rest of the cultures in Africa"
Could it be a difference in epocs? Predynastic egypt would have a much easier geographic tie to all of africa while later much of those paths would be closed of by the expanding desert? Because IIRC there is some items in the bissau region which shows trade links with the amratians so no connections would be a strange position to hold.
I'm always happy to help move discussion along and provide my own insights.

Regarding Hawass's comment you can hear it in more detail from this link (click audio link at bottom of page; use Real Alternative to play):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/afric ... ter5.shtml

If you listen to Hawass he claims that Ancient Egyptian civilization was unique from any other culture in history with no surrounding influence. While certainly Ancient Egypt was unique it obviously had cultural roots outside of the Nile Valley. That is where African scholars would disagree with Hawass.

Ancient Egyptian as an African Language, Egypt as an African Culture

Christopher Ehret
Professor of History, African Studies Chair
University of California at Los Angeles

Ancient Egyptian civilization was, in ways and to an extent usually not recognized, fundamentally African. The evidence of both language and culture reveals these African roots.

The origins of Egyptian ethnicity lay in the areas south of Egypt. The ancient Egyptian language belonged to the Afrasian family (also called Afroasiatic or, formerly, Hamito-Semitic). The speakers of the earliest Afrasian languages, according to recent studies, were a set of peoples whose lands between 15,000 and 13,000 B.C. stretched from Nubia in the west to far northern Somalia in the east. They supported themselves by gathering wild grains. The first elements of Egyptian culture were laid down two thousand years later, between 12,000 and 10,000 B.C., when some of these Afrasian communities expanded northward into Egypt, bringing with them a language directly ancestral to ancient Egyptian. They also introduced to Egypt the idea of using wild grains as food.

A new religion came with them as well. Its central tenet explains the often localized origins of later Egyptian gods: the earliest Afrasians were, properly speaking, neither monotheistic nor polytheistic. Instead, each local community, comprising a clan or a group of related clans, had its own distinct deity and centered its religious observances on that deity. This belief system persists today among several Afrasian peoples of far southwest Ethiopia. And as Biblical scholars have shown, Yahweh, god of the ancient Hebrews, an Afrasian people of the Semitic group, was originally also such a deity. The connection of many of Egypt's predynastic gods to particular localities is surely a modified version of this early Afrasian belief. Political unification in the late fourth millennium brought the Egyptian deities together in a new polytheistic system. But their local origins remain amply apparent in the records that have come down to us.

During the long era between about 10,000 and 6000 B.C., new kinds of southern influences diffused into Egypt. During these millennia, the Sahara had a wetter climate than it has today, with grassland or steppes in many areas that are now almost absolute desert. New wild animals, most notably the cow, spread widely in the eastern Sahara in this period.

One of the exciting archeological events of the past twenty years was the discovery that the peoples of the steppes and grasslands to the immediate south of Egypt domesticated these cattle, as early as 9000 to 8000 B.C. The societies involved in this momentous development included Afrasians and neighboring peoples whose languages belonged to a second major African language family, Nilo-Saharan (Wendorf, Schild, Close 1984; Wendorf, et al. 1982). The earliest domestic cattle came to Egypt apparently from these southern neighbors, probably before 6000 B.C., not, as we used to think, from the Middle East.

One major technological advance, pottery-making, was also initiated as early as 9000 B.C. by the Nilo-Saharans and Afrasians who lived to the south of Egypt. Soon thereafter, pots spread to Egyptian sites, almost 2,000 years before the first pottery was made in the Middle East.

Very late in the same span of time, the cultivating of crops began in Egypt. Since most of Egypt belonged then to the Mediterranean climatic zone, many of the new food plants came from areas of similar climate in the Middle East. Two domestic animals of Middle Eastern origin, the sheep and the goat, also entered northeastern Africa from the north during this era.

But several notable early Egyptian crops came from Sudanic agriculture, independently invented between 7500 and 6000 B.C. by the Nilo-Saharan peoples (Ehret 1993:104-125). One such cultivated crop was the edible gourd. The botanical evidence is confirmed in this case by linguistics: Egyptian bdt, or "bed of gourds" (Late Egyptian bdt, "gourd; cucumber"), is a borrowing of the Nilo-Saharan word *bud, "edible gourd." Other early Egyptian crops of Sudanic origin included watermelons and castor beans. (To learn more on how historians use linguistic evidence, see note at end of this article.)

Between about 5000 and 3000 B.C. a new era of southern cultural influences took shape. Increasing aridity pushed more of the human population of the eastern Sahara into areas with good access to the waters of the Nile, and along the Nile the bottomlands were for the first time cleared and farmed. The Egyptian stretches of the river came to form the northern edge of a newly emergent Middle Nile Culture Area, which extended far south up the river, well into the middle of modern-day Sudan. Peoples speaking languages of the Eastern Sahelian branch of the Nilo-Saharan family inhabited the heartland of this region.

From the Middle Nile, Egypt gained new items of livelihood between 5000 and 3000 B.C. One of these was a kind of cattle pen: its Egyptian name, s3 (earlier *sr), can be derived from the Eastern Sahelian term *sar. Egyptian pg3, "bowl," (presumably from earlier pgr), a borrowing of Nilo-Saharan *poKur, "wooden bowl or trough," reveals still another adoption in material culture that most probably belongs to this era.

One key feature of classical Egyptian political culture, usually assumed to have begun in Egypt, also shows strong links to the southern influences of this period. We refer here to a particular kind of sacral chiefship that entailed, in its earliest versions, the sending of servants into the afterlife along with the deceased chief. The deep roots and wide occurrence of this custom among peoples who spoke Eastern Sahelian languages strongly imply that sacral chiefship began not as a specifically Egyptian invention, but instead as a widely shared development of the Middle Nile Culture Area.

After about 3500 B.C., however, Egypt would have started to take on a new role vis-a-vis the Middle Nile region, simply because of its greater concentration of population. Growing pressures on land and resources soon enhanced and transformed the political powers of sacral chiefs. Unification followed, and the local deities of predynastic times became gods in a new polytheism, while sacral chiefs gave way to a divine king. At the same time, Egypt passed from the wings to center stage in the unfolding human drama of northeastern Africa.

A Note on the Use of Linguistic Evidence for History

Languages provide a powerful set of tools for probing the cultural history of the peoples who spoke them. Determining the relationships between particular languages, such as the languages of the Afrasian or the Nilo-Saharan family, gives us an outline history of the societies that spoke those languages in the past. And because each word in a language has its own individual history, the vocabulary of every language forms a huge archive of documents. If we can trace a particular word back to the common ancestor language of a language family, then we know that the item of culture connoted by the word was known to the people who spoke the ancestral tongue. If the word underwent a meaning change between then and now, a corresponding change must have taken place in the cultural idea or practice referred to by the word. In contrast, if a word was borrowed from another language, it attests to a thing or development that passed from the one culture to the other. The English borrowing, for example, of castle, duke, parliament, and many other political and legal terms from Old Norman French are evidence of a Norman period of rule in England, a fact confirmed by documents.

References Cited:

Ehret, Christopher, Nilo-Saharans and the Saharo-Sahelian Neolithic. In African Archaeology: Food, Metals and Towns. T. Shaw, P Sinclair, B. Andah, and A. Okpoko, eds. pp. 104-125. London: Routledge. 1993

Ehret, Christopher, Reconstructing Proto-Afroasiatic (Proto-Afrasian): Vowels, Tone Consonants, and Vocabulary. Los Angeles: University of California Press, Berkeley. 1995

Wendorf, F., et al., Saharan Exploitation of Plants 8000 Years B.P. Nature 359:721-724. 1982

Wendorf, F., R. Schild, and A. Close, eds. Cattle-Keepers of the Eastern Sahara. Dallas: Southern Methodist University, Department of Anthropology. 1984

Broomstick wrote:I'd find it odd if her family hadn't "intermingled" with the natives. The Ancient world didn't have many of our modern day cultural taboos against inter-ethnic marriages (which, honestly, have faded significantly during the latter half of the 20th Century) and marrying the native royalty/aristocrats has long been a way for conquerors to legitimize their claims to the throne.
According to Mary Lefkowitz the Ptolmaic Dynasty was very culturally xenophobic except when it came to adopting the traditions of the Pharaohs and that they had little contact with the Egyptian populace as well as practiced an incestuous mating to keep the royal bloodline pure. This is the basis for the idea that the Ptolemies and therefore Cleopatra had purely Macedonian heritage.

This is actually taught in some colleges. My Western Civilization professor told us that Cleopatra did not have a drop of Egyptian blood. I found this revelation for that documentary on Arsinoe to be interesting because of conventional thinking on the issue.

I do not think Cleopatra VII herself was a dark-skinned women of mostly African descent however the idea of her and her family being purely European may be exaggerated.
Big Triece
Padawan Learner

Post by Big Triece »

Simon_Jester wrote:I will attempt to explain, as I would to a retarded child.
:lol: More insults, with no threats of banning! I guess I'll just excercise this forum right the next time one is hurled at me, and boy can I dish them!
The grownups don't like it when you throw temper tantrums, Triece. They don't like it when you stick your fingers in your ears and go "hmm hmm hmm I'm not listening."
:wtf: Grown up? Being a grown up doesn't mean a damn thing, maturity does! Throughout my exchange with Broomstick and others in this thread prior to me referring to your little buddy as "naive" (gee, what a nut kicker) the only people throwing "temper tantrums" out of frustration from their down trottin argument as apparent by the shitty language used in "her" replies to me was Broomstick, NOT me!

And also let me clarify what I mean when I called your little buddy naive. Is ancient Egyptian art work the most reliable source of evidence to come to this sort of conclusion, Hell no! Is ancient Egyptian art the most realistic art work on Earth, Hell No. But as Mentuhoptep just stated it was not entirely void of realism due to those facts. It is naive to deny that this bust of queen Tiye represents a dark skinned African women:

Why would forensic experts analyze Egyptian art such as the sphinx if it had no basis is realism?

They conclude that the Sphinx displayed representative of a broad featured "African" individual. Though they do not take into account African physical diversity or contemporary research (Keita 1990) of the time in their New York times piece.

Just prior to me posting the pictures of the Sphinx and Menes to note their APPARENTLY broad African features, I provided peer reviewed evidence that broad featured Africans were found in substantial numbers in the Sahara and in early ancient Egypt (some studies place the percentage as up to between a fourth and a third of the entire early population). Thanas then goes on to state that by me posting those two picture that I'm exaggerating the prevalence of these statues that show such morphological trends. Which he ironically later attempts to explain away by stating that the ancient Egyptians showed generally broad features in their art (not true). That is a contradiction right there! He just stated that the proportion was somehow exaggerated by me, then goes on later to say that this is general in Egyptian art as evident by the difference he observed in the Cleopatra statues. :wtf:
They don't think people should do that. So if you keep doing that, the grownups will make you go away and you won't be able to come back. And everyone will remember what a big whiny stupid baby you were, Triece.

OK, and I don't think that a moderator should behave in such a way. Sure I've come across moderators who share different view points on a range of different topics who kindly and maturely show through a civil debate that they disagree with my stance, but NEVER in my days have a come across a moderator (Edi) who shows such overt biasedness and who is intentionally trying to end civility on my part to incite a flame war between those he disagrees with.

Oh and by the way I just read one of the last threads and the situation is CLEARLY the OPPOSITE of how some of you all have made it out to be. I saw the OP present his case, which was INSTANTLY insulted, not refuted, but INSULTED. When another poster entered on behalf of the OP's stance he/she SIMPLY presented the evidence that some of the particpants on the opposite end denied existed, he was then clearly and INSTANTLY insulted which incited the flame war.

Then I'm constantly hearing this bs about a "hidden agenda" that I suppositely have. Let me set this straight I am not nor have a ever been a fucking coward, likewise I NEVER hid my beliefs about the subject from a single damn one of you. My stance once again:
  • The early ancient Egyptians were an indigneous Northeast African population, who were most closely related Bio-Culturally to more southerly Northeast African populations both ancient and modern. This ancient African populations was proven (via the ecological principals of limb proportions) to be a dark skinned population like other super tropically adapted African populations. Dark skinned Africans are considered "black" where I'm from, so the ancient Egyptians would be considered "black". Melanin dosage testing also corresponds with the ancient Egyptians being dark skinned like other dark skinned African populations to the south of them.
Likewise the other members of this forum are debating me, but not specifying what particular points of the stance above that they wish to refute.They are instead relying on strawman arguments in an attempt to gain "points". For example:
  • When I say that the ancient Egyptians were dark skinned Africans that statement (which Keita states in his Cambridge lecture) is not and cannot specify a specific dark skin tone. Since according to you all we can't use the correlations that I made between the general skin tone of ancient Egyptian artwork and certain Northeast African populations to help specify the specific skin tone, then the safest statement to make regarding their skintone is that the ancient Egyptians were an indigenous "dark skinned" Northeast African population.
Rather than just having the genitalia to say specifically what they disagree with in my stance, they want to nit pick and make petty BS arguments to display a general point. Point being be man or woman enough to say what you believe pertaining to this debate and my stance that you are obviously not love with, and have the descency to back up your assertions with legit or up to par counter sources. If you cannot than like the other moderator stated set your pride aside and "concede".
And you won't have gotten them to think your story about Egyptians being really dark-skinned is true, which is what you want, right?
You know, that is pathetic! I showed everyone specifically on the previous pages the specific skin tone of modern Northeast Africans whom I believe based on the "suspect" artwork presented from Seti's tomb and Bio-cultural evidence that the ancient Egyptians had. I also showed everyone the darkest people on Earth (the Dinka) and stated that the ancient Egyptians were likely not generally as dark as them. Thus showing that there is not a monolithic tropical African skintone, and just who the ancient Egyptians most likely had the most similar skintones with.

It's not my problem if applying common sense based on the Bio-cultural evidence to this dissucussion will reveal a conclusion that some of you simply DON'T LIKE! That's something that you all need to work out on your own. I've made my stance clear numerous times, if you have something to comment on then make sure that it something that I've actually stated and not a silly ass strawman argument!
You miss the point. The point is that "broad features" on a statue are not a reliable guarantee that the person in question is part of the genetic group you associate with broad features.
No I didn't miss a damn thing! Just prior to me posting those two pictures I proved via peer reviewed evidence that African with broad features were present in the ancient Sahara and in the early settlement of the Egypt:
"The M2 lineage is mainly found primarily in "eastern", "sub-saharan", and sub-equatorial African groups, those with the highest frequency of the "Broad" trend physiognomy, but found also in notable frequencies in Nubia and Upper Egypt, as indicated by the RFLP TaqI 49a, f variant IV (see Lucotte and Mercier, 2003; Al-Zahery et al. 2003 for equivalencies of markers), which is affiliated with it. The distribution of these markers in other parts of Africa has usually been explained by the "Bantu migrations", but their presence in the Nile Valley in non-Bantu speakers cannot be explained in this way. Their existence is better explained by their being present in populations of the early Holocene Sahara, who in part went on to people the Nile Valley in the mid-Holocene, according to Hassan (1988); this occurred long before the "Bantu migrations", which also do not explain the high frequency of M2 in Senegal, since there are no Bantu speakers there either."

Source: S. Keita. Exploring Northeast African Metric Craniofacial Variation at the Individual Level: A Comparative Study Using Principal Components Analysis. Am J Hum Biol. 2004 Nov-Dec;16(6):679-89.
No one touched or attempted to refute this fact. They instead chose to deny that Egyptian statues and monuments that obviously depict broad featured Africans, were not a realistic portrayal of actual people. Basically denial, and this is why I called your buddy "naive".
If you want to argue genetics, do so. But relying on Egyptian art as evidence that a significant fraction of Egyptians look in any particular way is foolish.
Yet every piece of Bio-Cultural evidence that is has been presented in this thread shows that the ancient Egyptians looked just like the Northeast Africans populations to the south of them:
"There is now a sufficient body of evidence from modern studies of skeletal remains to indicate that the ancient Egyptians, especially southern Egyptians, exhibited physical characteristics that are within the range of variation for ancient and modern indigenous peoples of the Sahara and tropical Africa.. In general, the inhabitants of Upper Egypt and Nubia had the greatest biological affinity to people of the Sahara and more southerly areas." (Nancy C. Lovell, " Egyptians, physical anthropology of," in Encyclopedia of the Archaeology of Ancient Egypt, ed. Kathryn A. Bard and Steven Blake Shubert, ( London and New York: Routledge, 1999) pp 328-332)

http://books.google.com/books?id=XNdgSc ... =firefox-a
It's very telling of "hidden agendas" when some of you cannot even concede to what this clear authoratative statement is saying about who the ancient Egyptians most closely resembled physically.
No, it is not....

Point three:
Let us ignore point two, and assume that the Egyptians always tried to portray skin colors accurately, and did the best they could to pick a pigment that would do that. If so, and if the Egyptians were generally of the same color as Nubians, then one would expect Egyptians and Nubians to be consistently portrayed using the same color or range of colors.

We can look at the art and ask if this was the case. If it was not, it casts grave doubt on the claim that the Egyptians were the same color, or nearly the same color, as the Nubians.
EITHER ART WORK CAN BE USED TO HELP IN THIS DISSCUSSION OR IT CAN'T, MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!

You are doing the same damn thing that Broomstick did! You are dismissing both the statue representation and the skintones in Egyptian artwork as a possible representation of realism in one breath, then you are saying that art work can be used to physically distinguish the Egyptians from the Nubians in another :wtf:

I've presented earlier art work in which some of the Nubians were depicted as the SAME reddish brown color as the Egyptians, thus proving that not all Nubians were pitch black. You are essentially equating Nubian with the Sudanese Dinka, when it's been understood even by Broomstick that the Egyptian term Nubian included all known populations south of Egypt. Wether they be the Beja, Ethiopians, or the Dinka!
Because what you call 'evidence' I call 'incompetently assembled tissue of nonsense' or, more generously, 'cherry-picking your evidence in an attempt to prove that which cannot be proved by the angle of attack you have chosen to prove it.'
What particular piece of evidence do you think that I've cherry picked to come to relay that fact? Did you not take the five minutes out of your day to hear the National Geographic interview with Keita that I posted on page one in which he states:

That there is no evidence to suggest that the ancient Egyptians were anything other than of "local origin"..."of Northeast African origin":

Did you not watch his Cambridge lecture in which he goes through the numerous lines of evidence that helped him come to that concluison? Please tell me what I cherry picked from this bio-anthropologist? Did you not read the linguist Christopher Ehret article in which he demonstrates through archaeological and lingustic evidence that the origins of the ancient Egyptian ethnicity "lies to the south"? The full article is above! Show me what is cherry picked out his conclusion. I provided text and linked you to the Oxford Encyclopedia of the archaeology of Ancient Egypt in which state that the biological affinities of the ancient Egyptians lie with African population in the ancient Sahara and further southward.

As I stated earlier some of you all have displayed how Hell bent you all are on denying the proven FACT that the ancient Egyptians were an indigenous Northeast African population most closely related to more southerly Northeast African populations, whom they most closely resembled. You all are the ones who are running from my arguments and building up strawmans just to say that you replied back. Why else does it erk some of you so damn much to state the fact that based on ecological principal "the ancient Egyptians were simply an indigenous dark skinned African population"?
On the other hand, I have no clue what color said ancient Egyptians were.
That's the thing evidence has been presented to give you a clue as to what their color looked like. Based on that empiracle evidence they were simply a dark skinned African population. Without art work of their relative complexion, we cannot state with certainty anything further than that as with regard to specific skin tone.
So if you can question my motives, I think I have a right to question yours.
No no no don't fake the deal! The moment that I created this thread MY motives were questioned. It was suggested that I have a "hidden agenda" which I am DYING to know what it is! I ask what your "motives" are when you conciously chose to delegitamize what the Bio-Cultural evidence clearly indicates about where the ancient Africans migrated from and what they looked like.
Why is the skin color of ancient Egyptians so important to you, as you insinuate that it is important to us?
It seems to be more of issue with people opposed to my stance than with me! I am content with just stating the fact that they were dark skinned Africans, OTHERS for one reason or another simply cannot except that statetment and have attempted to dwelve into frivilous arguments about specific dark skin tones. What does that say about their motives?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Big Triece wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I will attempt to explain, as I would to a retarded child.
:lol: More insults, with no threats of banning! I guess I'll just excercise this forum right the next time one is hurled at me, and boy can I dish them!
Since it is now painfully obvious you have not read the threads on forum rules and conduct please go back and do at this time. You clearly have mistaken this message board for some other one if trot out "more insults, with no threats of banning!". We don't ban people for insults around here (with a few exceptions, which you will find out about if you read the forum rules) and at times actually seem to encourage them.
:wtf: Grown up? Being a grown up doesn't mean a damn thing, maturity does! Throughout my exchange with Broomstick and others in this thread prior to me referring to your little buddy as "naive" (gee, what a nut kicker) the only people throwing "temper tantrums" out of frustration from their down trottin argument as apparent by the shitty language used in "her" replies to me was Broomstick, NOT me!
Yes, we've noted your objection to my use of the four-letter word "P-A-L-E" :lol:
OK, and I don't think that a moderator should behave in such a way.
Unfortunately for you, you are not the one who makes such decisions here. As already mentioned, you can spot the moderators because the user-name over their avatar picture is GREEN.
Then I'm constantly hearing this bs about a "hidden agenda" that I suppositely have. Let me set this straight I am not nor have a ever been a fucking coward, likewise I NEVER hid my beliefs about the subject from a single damn one of you. My stance once again:
Oh, you've made your beliefs quite clear. And no one called you a coward. However, you came here to SD.net and have only been active in this one thread, you obviously haven't read the forum rules, and you are entirely clueless as to who the moderators are around here. It appears your only interest is in this thread and this issue, which is fine, of course, but you're an idiot if you think we wouldn't notice you're a one trick pony.

Personally, at this point, I'm MUCH more interested in discussing something other than the biology here, such as cultural, linguisitic, and other non-biological "origins", as well as things like trade routes and conflicts. But I don't expect you do so, BigT, as you are so fixated on the biology, as if that determined everything about a person, a people, or a nation.

Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

@bigT
Just for reference. Did you just put me up on that 'ignore list' that you refered to? Cause you made a lot of unbased personal comments regarding me which I then had to adress instead of continuing the more mature dialog with faraoM. If you are going to ignore me it would be better if you say so clearly, especially since you claim not to be a coward.

Regarding your dialog I don't think that you come across as clearly as you think. Now neither do some of the responses to you either, but still.

Then regarding the insults, even if you can dish it please note the exceptions of hate speech or their weaker variants. So no racism or sexual preference stuff. Slandering the other's intelligence etc is par for the course.
Big Triece
Padawan Learner

Post by Big Triece »

Broomstick wrote:We don't ban people for insults around here
Great to know
Yes, we've noted your objection to my use of the four-letter word "P-A-L-E" :lol:
Ok point being? Who in the Hell refers to the skin tone variance of different African populations, whom are considered "black" with the relative term "pale"? The usage of that word is deceptive on your part and you know it.
Oh, you've made your beliefs quite clear.
Ok then, Shut the Hell up with this "hidden agenda" bullshit!
Personally, at this point, I'm MUCH more interested in discussing something other than the biology here
:lol: I bet your ass your ass would want to drop it! With biological evidence there isn't too much that you can do to push your "agenda" driven spin on their conclusive findings. Instead you just have to sit down and look silly with your arms folded and pout, because it proves a point that you DON'T LIKE!
such as cultural,

Ok:
  • "The evidence also points to linkages to
    other northeast African peoples, not
    coincidentally approximating the modern
    range of languages closely related to
    Egyptian in the Afro-Asiatic group
    (formerly called Hamito-Semetic). These
    linguistic similarities place ancient
    Egyptian in a close relationship with
    languages spoken today as far west as
    Chad, and as far south as Somalia.
    Archaeological evidence also strongly
    supports an African origin
    A widespread
    northeastern African cultural assemblage,
    including distinctive multiple barbed
    harpoons and pottery decorated with
    dotted wavy line patterns, appears during
    the early Neolithic (also known as the
    Aqualithic, a reference to the mild
    climate of the Sahara at this time).

Saharan and Sudanese rock art from this
    time resembles early Egyptian
    iconography. Strong connections
    between Nubian (Sudanese) and
    Egyptian material culture continue in
    later Neolithic Badarian culture of Upper
    Egypt.
    Similarities include black-topped
    wares, vessels with characteristic
    ripple-burnished surfaces, a special
    tulip-shaped vessel with incised and
    white-filled decoration, palettes, and
    harpoons...

Other ancient Egyptian practices show
    strong similarities to modern African
    cultures including divine kingship, the
    use of headrests, body art, circumcision,
    and male coming-of-age rituals, all
    suggesting an African substratum or
    foundation for Egyptian civilization
    .."

Source: Donald Redford (2001) The
    Oxford encyclopedia of ancient Egypt,
    Volume 3. Oxford University Press. p. 28
Oh wait the Oxford Encyclopedia must be trying to push their "agenda" :lol:
linguisitic
More lingustic evidence besides the Ehret article posted directly above:
  • "Ancient Egypt belongs to a language group known as 'Afroasiatic' (formerly called Hamito-Semitic) and its closest relatives are other north-east African languages from Somalia to Chad. Egypt's cultural features, both material and ideological and particularly in the earliest phases, show clear connections with that same broad area. In sum, ancient Egypt was an African culture, developed by African peoples, who had wide ranging contacts in north Africa and western Asia." (Morkot, Robert (2005) The Egyptians: An Introduction. Routledge. p. 10
"Oh snap" There must be this vast "Afrocentric" conspiracy to spread the fucking truth after centuries of racist Eurocentric lies about ancient Egypt's origins. This is some "sinister" shit!
and other non-biological "origins",
Oh you mean the like likely location of where the ancient Egyptians self described homeland of Punt was located? A 2010 hair analysis study of mummified baboons have narrowed the homeland generally considered somwhere in Northeast Africa to be Eritrea or Ethiopia the article is here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 54547.html
But I don't expect you do so, BigT, as you are so fixated on the biology
Broomstick what the Hell have we been debating thus far? I proved my case on every piece of the criteria that you've just listed, evident by how you quickly shut the fuck up with your shitty arguments. Which were nothing more than strawman pleas of how after I proved (via numerous scholarly sources) that Dynastic culture was an indigenous product of Upper Egypt that I was somehow ignoring the contributions of Lower Egypt and how "the damn goats" from the Levant were incorporated in Egypt's indigenous foraging system. If I'm not mistaking I asked you show me so many of these other Levantine influences that influenced Pre-Dynastic Egypt, YOU COULDN'T !
Last edited by Big Triece on 2011-03-12 09:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Big Triece wrote:It is naive to deny that this bust of queen Tiye represents a dark skinned African women:
There is however a small problem in using Tiye in anything, as her father's name suggests she was actually of Asiatic descent on her father's side (as do features of his mummy), with egyptologists actually theorizing that her political views were due to being of an asiatic heritage. Yet one more example why art cannot be used to prove your claims.

References are: Lawrence M Berman, Overview of Amonhotep III and his reignmm, in: O'Connor, D., and Cline, E. (eds)., Amonhotep III, Perspectives on His Reign, University of Michigan, 1998, p.5

BTW, there are records of at least four marriages with Asiatic princesses, one with an Anatolian and maybe even an Aegean, though the last is speculation.
Why would forensic experts analyze Egyptian art such as the sphinx if it had no basis is realism?
Because they are not historians and therefore unfamiliar with the subject matter. I doubt any forensic expert can even read Egyptian script.

The early ancient Egyptians were an indigneous Northeast African population, who were most closely related Bio-Culturally to more southerly Northeast African populations both ancient and modern. This ancient African populations was proven (via the ecological principals of limb proportions) to be a dark skinned population like other super tropically adapted African populations. Dark skinned Africans are considered "black" where I'm from, so the ancient Egyptians would be considered "black". Melanin dosage testing also corresponds with the ancient Egyptians being dark skinned like other dark skinned African populations to the south of them.
For the record: I personally do not care if the Egyptians were black, white, green, blue or yellow, I only care about what can be proven.

I do not follow your attempt to deny Levantine influences on Egyptian culture, as well as your attempt to claim that Egyptian culture evolved on its own without outside influences. This is not an acceptable stance, as the levantine influence is well attested and played a significant role in the formation of Egyptian culture. The Egyptians also do belong in the same row with the other high cultures of their era, which together formed the basis of Western Civilization. There is no "African" civilization which takes its roots from Egypt. If you want to look for such a civilization, I'd suggest trying the Bantus.

I also do not much care for your attempt to use ancient statues and modern photographs to prove your point, as has been shown several times in this thread statues are not much of an indicator for anything due to not being photo-realistic, but idealistic back then. (Get this: statues. I am not talking about frescos).

Now, on to the topic of whether the Egyptians were black - it may well be that they were of a darker skintone than say, the greeks. But the only authoritative source we know of which speaks of direct comparisons compares them to the colchians, which are from the caucasus. Which covers a wide variety of brownish tones, but not dark black. Meanwhile, Egyptian frescos show a difference in color, meaning they saw themselves of a lighter skintone than their southern neighbors. So my opinion is that they were probably of a brownish color.

Oh, and I also would not advice Big Triece to ignore any points, as refusal to debate is grounds for instant banning.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Big Triece
Padawan Learner

Post by Big Triece »

Spoonist wrote:@bigTIf you are going to ignore me it would be better if you say so clearly, especially since you claim not to be a coward.
I made my stance clear! If you have something that you dispute in my stance then specify what it is so that we can disscuss it. Everything else in my opinion is tit tat.
Regarding your dialog I don't think that you come across as clearly as you think. Now neither do some of the responses to you either, but still.
No I made my stance clear on page one, at I believe it was YOUR request. Some people just have a problem with my stance, yet not dare to challenge because they all know damn well that I can back everything that I believe.
Then regarding the insults, even if you can dish it please note the exceptions of hate speech or their weaker variants. So no racism or sexual preference stuff.
No worries I don't do that type of the thing. In all honestly I WISH that this could have remained civil, but it didn't thanks to you know who and I am not biting my tongue on a damn else!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

PharaohMentuhotep wrote:Regarding Hawass's comment you can hear it in more detail from this link (click audio link at bottom of page; use Real Alternative to play):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/afric ... ter5.shtml
Alas, I cannot make that play on my machine, which is unfortunate. I have listened to Hawass in other contexts, however, and am assuming that your audio clip is consistent with the rest of his statments.

Now, Hawass was, until very recently the Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs in Egypt which gives him a formal blessing by The Government (which, as we all know, has undergone some abrupt changes recently) but he is also a somewhat controversial figure and not all of his views are universally held. (paragraph largely provided for anyone lurking who is not up to speed on these matters, I assume the thread participants known who Hawass is.)
If you listen to Hawass he claims that Ancient Egyptian civilization was unique from any other culture in history with no surrounding influence. While certainly Ancient Egypt was unique it obviously had cultural roots outside of the Nile Valley. That is where African scholars would disagree with Hawass.
That's where not just African scholars but a lot of other people would disagree with him. The evidence is overwhelming that the Egyptians did not live in an isolated bubble.

Of course, this is the guy who throws a hissy fit if someone suggests Tutankhamun was black. It's a legitimate question, especially as it is known unequivocally that at least some Egyptians, including some of their pharoahs, were from points south such as Nubia, or, as it was known back then, Kush. He also opposes using DNA analysis on mummies - personally, I think he's afraid that it will refute some of his pet theories - despite recent advances in the technology and its use in other fields.

I think some of his stance on Egypt being so unique and isolated stems from two forms of bigotry - he doesn't want to be identified with the darker peoples in Africa (where, exactly, he gets that I'm not sure but it's hardly an uncommon prejudice) and he's definitely an anti-Semite. If Egyptians aren't unique unto themselves, what are the two most likely influences on them? Those darker southern peoples, and the Semitic people to the east. Oh, horrors! Egyptians might be related to blacks and Jews!!!!! Well, if they are, so what?

On the other hand, the man is driven to preserve Egyptian artifacts. Supposedly, looting and tomb robbing has dropped significantly under his tenure. Granted, the European museums are unlikely to return the artifacts looted in the 19th Century but Hawass does have a point that those objects are Egyptian and were most likely removed without any official permission, i.e. looted or stolen.
The origins of Egyptian ethnicity lay in the areas south of Egypt. The ancient Egyptian language belonged to the Afrasian family (also called Afroasiatic or, formerly, Hamito-Semitic).
In case anyone is unclear on the history of that language family - It was coined in the 19th Century and has definite roots in scientific racism. "Semitic", of course, is often used as a synonym for "Jewish" (although many semitic peoples aren't and never have been Jewish - Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Arabs, and Ethiopians among others). "Hamitic" is less well known to the general public, but it refers to one of the Biblical sons of Noah (Semetic is also of the same etymology) who was "cursed" and his descendants were to be the "servants of servants". Under the Biblical "history" Ham's sons founded Canaan, Egypt, Cush, and Libya, and supposedly they were also cursed with dark skin (but note this would still set them apart from other dark-skinned Africans, and let's just forget the Canaanites and Libyans were probably lighter than the Egyptians and Cushites/Kushites/Nubians). This just-so story was used to, among other things, justify enslaving the dark-skinned of Africa. It was also used to explain away the achievements of Africans - it was all done by those "real people" who were "cursed" to look like those dark people, but not really done by those dark people. Any accomplishment by "true negroes" was dismissed as actually being a Hamitic achievement.

So... a "Hamito-Semitic" language family is basically "what those blacks and Jews speak" dressed up to look respectable, and the grouping is based in Biblical mythology and not real history. Which might be why, in the 20th Century, it was found that the 19th Century group of languages called Hamito-Semitic weren't, actually, a valid grouping as it included languages that were unrelated to the core group.

Hence, "Afroasiatic" these days, which is not racially loaded, is not based on mythology, and the name of which refers to the geography of the language family, straddling part of Africa and part of Asia. My only issue with it are those people who don't read past the first four letters of the name and forget that it does, yes, include territory outside of Africa. The people living in that region 5,0000-10,000 years ago did not have our knowledge of geography and didn't call half that territory "Africa" and the other half "Asia", to them it was all part of the world. It is a distinction we make, not one they made.

Thus, I argue that to deny all connection to Asia (more specifically, the Middle East) is as much a distortion as to deny all connection to Africa. The truth is not served by going from one extreme to another.

I will say, though, that the older I get the more offensive the term "Hamito-Semitic" becomes. Unfortunately, because the term became so entrenched and so many people learned it as part of history we'll still have to suffer terms like "Afroasiatic, (formerly Hamito-Semitic)" so people educated a generation ago will know what the hell is being discussed.

And, of course, since recent scholarship puts most of this language family squarely in Africa is does get the white racists pissed off - instead of their favored group marching into Africa to give civilization to the "darkies" it sure starts to look like those "darkies" gave quite a bit to the folks in the Middle East, that the flow of civilization and ideas might have gone the other way from what was asserted in the 19th Century.

Which is why "what color were the Ancient Egyptians" is such a powder keg - it's not really about the Egyptians, it's about racial prejudices. Otherwise, we'd all agree on "brown" and have polite discussions over tea and scones on the particular shades of brown concerned then move on discussing hairstyles as portrayed on tomb wall paintings.
The first elements of Egyptian culture were laid down two thousand years later, between 12,000 and 10,000 B.C., when some of these Afrasian communities expanded northward into Egypt, bringing with them a language directly ancestral to ancient Egyptian. They also introduced to Egypt the idea of using wild grains as food.
I'm curious - what grains are referred to there? My understanding is that native African grains are things like millet and sorghum, which certainly can form a solid basis for agriculture - indeed, these are major grains in the sub-Saharan region of Africa to this day. However, it is also my understanding that wheat and barley were of Middle Easter/Levant/Anatolia origin (that's where they grow wild). Thus, is this suggesting that the Egyptians had a native agriculture based on grains such as millet and sorghum, then imported wheat and barley from the Levant (as they did goats) and incorporated it into their already existing agricultural systems?
And as Biblical scholars have shown, Yahweh, god of the ancient Hebrews, an Afrasian people of the Semitic group, was originally also such a deity.
And... that statement is certain to piss of some of the ignorant Jews who will be mightily offended at the notion of being African. Of course, real history is full of facts that piss people off. And many Jews of European descent get very huffy when confronted with Jews who look different than them (Jews went all over the old world, including as far as China, where, not surprisingly they intermarried with locals sufficiently to start looking Chinese). DNA studies are confirming that many of these folks' oral histories are true - they are of Jewish descent with ancestry reaching back to the Middle East, even if they don't look like stereotypical Jews.

As I mentioned in a prior post, if the Jews did spend significant time in Egypt, as the Bible recounts, then they no doubt did some "intermingling" (whether voluntary or forced) and came to resemble the Egyptians to some degree. Thus, if the Egyptians are black Africans then by extension every Jew is part black African. It is understandable that, in the 19th Century where "one drop" rules meant any black African ancestry made one black, and thus subject to second class status and severe restrictions if not outright slavery, Jews strenuously resisted such a notion. It's not like they were well liked anyhow. These fears have carried over into the present day for some, though more enlightened people have recognized the kinship of black African Jews to other Jews worldwide.

Again, it's back to skin color being a volatile subject in the modern world, and an illustration how modern issues can lead to bias in scholarly research and theories.
The connection of many of Egypt's predynastic gods to particular localities is surely a modified version of this early Afrasian belief. Political unification in the late fourth millennium brought the Egyptian deities together in a new polytheistic system. But their local origins remain amply apparent in the records that have come down to us.
This has been known for a long time - I remember this sort of thing even back in the 1970's when I first became interested in Ancient civilizations. Almost every text noted alternate names and spellings for Egyptian deities and the localized nature of practice. It's polytheistic in that there are many gods, but there's that conflation of many localized deities into one "national" level one or holding that all those local gods are just "aspects" of the larger god.

I've never been quite sure if that reading is a modern interpretation, or if the Ancient Egyptians saw it that way. I do know that how the Egyptians thought of religion was very different from how modern people do, so it's a little hard to get into their headspace. The Greeks and Romans tended to see foreign gods as their own on a certain level, even to the point of saying "God-so-and-so of that tribe over there is their name for Jupiter". Does that practice, which is well known, influence scholars view of ancient Egyptian religion? Of course, Roman adoption of the cult of Isis just further confuses things - the Romans were not adverse to adopting other peoples' gods. That does not, of course, mean that Roman era worship of Isis was the same as Egyptian worship of Isis in the Old Kingdoms.
One major technological advance, pottery-making, was also initiated as early as 9000 B.C. by the Nilo-Saharans and Afrasians who lived to the south of Egypt. Soon thereafter, pots spread to Egyptian sites, almost 2,000 years before the first pottery was made in the Middle East.
This, of course, is one of the things that piss off those who are emotionally invested in the idea that the Levant was the origin of civilization - proof that the Africans were quite inventive in their own right.
But several notable early Egyptian crops came from Sudanic agriculture, independently invented between 7500 and 6000 B.C. by the Nilo-Saharan peoples (Ehret 1993:104-125). One such cultivated crop was the edible gourd. The botanical evidence is confirmed in this case by linguistics: Egyptian bdt, or "bed of gourds" (Late Egyptian bdt, "gourd; cucumber"), is a borrowing of the Nilo-Saharan word *bud, "edible gourd." Other early Egyptian crops of Sudanic origin included watermelons and castor beans. (To learn more on how historians use linguistic evidence, see note at end of this article.)
Just a point here - the "edible gourd" referred to here is the plant family Cucurbitaceae which encompasses gourds, squashes and melons. More and more, the evidence is pointing towards ALL of them originating in sub-Saharan Africa. The reason things like cucumbers, squash, and melons grow all over the world is because humans domesticated them early and carried them on their migrations. The people who first domesticated them were sub-Saharan Africans.

I'm always surprised the Afrocentrists don't bring this up more often as a very clear example of African origin for a significant contribution to agriculture and as a clear example of knowledge/items diffusing from Africa to everyone else in the world. Maybe cucumbers and zucchini aren't as sexy as tombs full of dead kings or something.
One key feature of classical Egyptian political culture, usually assumed to have begun in Egypt, also shows strong links to the southern influences of this period. We refer here to a particular kind of sacral chiefship that entailed, in its earliest versions, the sending of servants into the afterlife along with the deceased chief. The deep roots and wide occurrence of this custom among peoples who spoke Eastern Sahelian languages strongly imply that sacral chiefship began not as a specifically Egyptian invention, but instead as a widely shared development of the Middle Nile Culture Area.
My only quibble with this is the fact that such "sacral kingship", complete with dispatching living humans to the afterlife to serve him, is not limited to Africa - we see it in plenty of other places, too. So while it is indicative of a link it's not solid proof, as "sacral kingship" apparently can arise independently in human groups with ease.
According to Mary Lefkowitz the Ptolmaic Dynasty was very culturally xenophobic except when it came to adopting the traditions of the Pharaohs and that they had little contact with the Egyptian populace as well as practiced an incestuous mating to keep the royal bloodline pure. This is the basis for the idea that the Ptolemies and therefore Cleopatra had purely Macedonian heritage.
There's evidence that pharoahs always tended to be apart from the general population, with little contact, and practiced incest to keep the bloodline "pure". However, lines that actually practiced that to an extreme invariably died out (usually after a couple generations of only daughters being born). In practice, there were usualy bastards and half siblings, products of concubines and junior wives, that brought a trickle of outside genes into the family. If the Ptolemies did marry any of the native aristocracy upon arrival in Egypt, well, that explains that "mixed heritage" thing, and certainly establishing a family connection to the prior ruling regime would help them cement their claim - as I said, it's a common thing for incoming foreign rulers to do throughout history.
This is actually taught in some colleges. My Western Civilization professor told us that Cleopatra did not have a drop of Egyptian blood. I found this revelation for that documentary on Arsinoe to be interesting because of conventional thinking on the issue.
Yes, but I remember that also being refuted decades ago, on the basis of what I mentioned above - new conquerors marrying into the local royals/nobles, and long term incest not working out so well. Granted Cleopatra's family did apparently suffer from incest-related problems, so there's little dispute that they practiced that custom, but if they did, why not the custom of marrying some of the locals of high rank from time to time?
I do not think Cleopatra VII herself was a dark-skinned women of mostly African descent however the idea of her and her family being purely European may be exaggerated.
Almost certainly she wasn't "pure" European - yet I agree she wasn't mostly African. I've known some of my local Afrocentrists to assert she WAS a black person. In this case, the evidence would seem to indicate that she likely was mostly of Greek descent and accordingly would probably "look Greek" for the most part.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

There is also the point of the Hsyskos as further intermingling, mass settlers from the Levante eventually displacing the pharaohs due to their superior technology. Some people back then thought of it mostly as an asiatic invasion, but nowadays people tend to show it more of a settlement issue at first (Egyptian Pharaohs not only brought back massive prisoners, but also encouraged immigration of tradesmen) which then resulted in clashes and the Egyptians losing.

It is also where a lot of people got the original idea of "europe bringing civilization to africa" from, despite the Hsyskos being no Europeans and this happening during 13th century B.C.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Big Triece wrote:
Ok point being? Who in the Hell refers to the skin tone variance of different African populations, whom are considered "black" with the relative term "pale"?
People who don't have a racial agenda who are capable of distinguishing between different shades of brown without having a nervous breakdown. Words such as "paler" and "lighter skinned" have long been used in discussing the differences between groups like the Khoi-San and the Bantus who have notable differences in appearance. People without a chip on their shoulder can also use these words in discussing people in the region of north east Africa, the north coast of Africa, and the Middle East.

[..snip long, poorly formatted stuff we've already gone over...]

Are you trying to occupy as much page space as possible or something? My scroll button is starting to wear out. Look - no one is disputing that Egypt is located in Africa. I can't fathom why you continue to beat that dead horse.
Broomstick what the Hell have we been debating thus far?
As near as I can tell, you've been maintaining that Egyptians are African with NO outside influence. The rest of us say they are African with some outside influence, which needn't be biological.
that I was somehow ignoring the contributions of Lower Egypt and how "the damn goats" from the Levant were incorporated in Egypt's indigenous foraging system.
[nitpick] The goats were incorporated into indigenous AGRICULTURAL systems, not a "foraging system". The proto-dynastic Egyptians were agricultural, not hunter-gatherers. [/nitpick]
If I'm not mistaking I asked you show me so many of these other Levantine influences that influenced Pre-Dynastic Egypt, YOU COULDN'T !
Goats, sheep, wheat, barley, and wood products (the famous cedars of Lebannon were a much prized import all over that area) to name a few. But you've been talking so much about biology that you've completely ignored the trade and cultural contributions that didn't include human genes.

Big Triece
Padawan Learner

Post by Big Triece »

Thanas wrote:There is however a small problem in using Tiye in anything, as her father's name suggests she was actually of Asiatic descent on her father's side (as do features of his mummy)
What's your point it's been postulated by some, but never proven. Contrary to that postulation Tiye doesn't appear Asiactic in her facial features.
Yet one more example why art cannot be used to prove your claims.

What does a scholar's postulation have to do with the realism of Egyptian art? It's down right ridiculous to rule out Egyptian art as "suspect" evidence for the reason that you note. Hell even Keita makes correlative comparisons using this "suspect data":
  • "Art objects are not generally used by biological anthropologists. They are suspect as data and their interpretation highly dependent on stereotyped thinking. However, because art has often been used to comment on the physiognomies of ancient Egyptians, a few remarks are in order. A review of literature and the sculpture indicates characteristics that also can be found in the Horn of (East) Africa (see, e.g., Petrie 1939; Drake 1987; Keita 1993). Old and Middle Kingdom statuary shows a range of characteristics; many, if not most, individuals depicted in the art have variations on the narrow-nosed, narrow-faced morphology also seen in various East Africans. This East African anatomy, once seen as being the result of a mixture of different "races," is better understood as being part of the range of indigenous African variation"(S. O. Y and A.J. Boyce, "The Geographical Origins and Population Relationships of Early Ancient Egyptians", in Egypt in Africa, Theodore Celenko (ed), Indiana University Press, 1996, pp. 20-33)

You see there it can't be completely ruled out as you want it to.
BTW, there are records of at least four marriages with Asiatic princesses, one with an Anatolian and maybe even an Aegean, though the last is speculation.

Point being? We are well into the Pharonic Egyptian history, Asiactic migration has been noted none the less at this time period the biological affinities of the ancient Egyptians still lie with Africans to the south and not yet with Asiactic populations in the East. Here are the X-ray analysis of Egyptian crania:
  • "In terms of head shape, the XVIV and XX dynasties look more like the early Nubian skulls from the mesolithic with low vaults and sloping, curved foreheads.The XVII and XVIII dynasty skulls are shaped more like modern Nubians with globular skulls and high vaults."
    (An X-ray atlas of the royal mummies. Edited by J.E. Harris and E.F. Wente. (The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1980.) Review: Michael R. Zimmerman, American Journal of Physical Anthropology, Volume 56, Issue 2 , (1981) Pages 207 - 208)
  • "The late XVII Dynasty and XVIII Dynasty royal mummies display the strongest Nubian affinities. In terms of maxillary protrusion as measured by SNA, the mean value for these Pharaohs is 84.21 comparable to that of African Americans. .. They exceed the latter in terms of ANB and SN-M Plane, but are closer to Caucasians in regards to SNB. However, the ability of SNA and SNB to predict maxillary and mandibular protrusion respectively has been questioned. Some studies suggest that measuring prognathism from the Frankfort horizontal would produce more reliable results (See RM Ricketts, RJ Schulhof, L Bagha. Orientation-sella-nasion or Frankfort horizontal. Am J Orthod 1976 Jun;69(6):648-654; also JW Moore. Variation of the sella-nasion plane and its effect on SNA and SNB. J Oral Surg. 1976 Jan; 34(1): 24-26).

In regards to head shape, the late XVII and XVIII dynasty mummies are very close to Nubian samples intermediate between the Mesolithic and Christian periods. The zygomatic arches are almost always vertical or forward and not receding."

--James Harris & Edward Wente, X-ray Atlas of the Royal Mummies (Chicago: University of Chicago, 1980)
I wasn't aware of a mass Nubian invasion prior to the 25th Dynasty. Therefore why would the royal crania that they access have features most similar to Nubians? Why does this correlate so well with Keita's statement earlier that Nubians, ancient Saharan, and early ancient Egyptians were essentially biologically the same?
Because they are not historians and therefore unfamiliar with the subject matter.

No, because they don't have a biased "agenda" to disregard artwork because it proves a point that they don't like. They found that the largest facial structure in Egypt (and probably the world) represents realism and is consistant with the facial structure of broad featured Africans, through their criteria in their EXPERTISE of foresenic analysis.
For the record: I personally do not care if the Egyptians were black, white, green, blue or yellow, I only care about what can be proven.
Nothing wrong with that, but everything that I just stated IS proven! Some people are just having a harder time accepting it than others.
I do not follow your attempt to deny Levantine influences on Egyptian culture
Provide the quote where I stated that there was no Levantine influence in Pre-Dynastic Egypt, if you can't than what you just did was make a strawman argument! The only influence that scholars have noted to have penetrated the Nile Valley prior to the origination of Dynastic culture was Goats and other livestock. This minor influence does not stop scholars from labeling Egyptian culture as "indigenous" or "African".
as well as your attempt to claim that Egyptian culture evolved on its own without outside influences.
Provide me with a quote where I stated this otherwise this is yet ANOTHER strawman argument put up against mine, just as I detailed in my post earlier.
This is not an acceptable stance, as the levantine influence is well attested and played a significant role in the formation of Egyptian culture.

If Levantine influence was signifigant then why is it a scholarly concensus that Egyptian culture was an indigenous product of AFRICA? Do you not see my sources above proving my case and basically refuting yours? Better yet where are your sources that state that signifigant influence from the Levant was an instrumental part in the origination of Dynastic culture?
The Egyptians also do belong in the same row with the other high cultures of their era, which together formed the basis of Western Civilization.
:lol: No one denies that! In fact it is the basis of a lot of "Afrocentric" arguments that proceeding some civilizations such as Greece was an offshoot of Egyptian culture.
There is no "African" civilization which takes its roots from Egypt.

Actually the mysterious Nok culture of West Africa that sprang up during Late Dynastic periods, is actually postulated to have been heavily influenced the ancient Egyptians as evidence by them worshipping the same Egyptian Gods:

A Nok sculpture resident at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts portrays a sitting dignitary wearing a "Shepherds Crook" on the right arm and a "hinged flail" on the left. These are symbols of authority associated with ancient Egyptian pharaohs and the god Osiris and suggests that an ancient Egyptian style of social structure, and perhaps religion, existed in the area of modern Nigeria during the late Pharonic period.

http://www.artsmia.org/viewer/detail.ph ... =8&op=1449
If you want to look for such a civilization, I'd suggest trying the Bantus.
What are talking about? Don't bring up a strawman that I never put fourth!
I also do not much care for your attempt to use ancient statues and modern photographs to prove your point
You seem to be frustrated at the fact that just about every relevant piece of evidence needed to determine the origins and physical appearance of the ancient Egyptians proves that they were no different from other African populations to the south of them. You see that is what I base my arguments on! Egyptian art is secondary as it is very apparently subjective to individual viewpoints (as evident by how you view Cleopatra's Egyptian statue).
Now, on to the topic of whether the Egyptians were black - it may well be that they were of a darker skintone than say, the greeks.
:lol: Here we are talking about the skintone of tropically adapted Africans and you reference the ancient Europeans clearly on the opposite end of the color spectrum as a relative point. They were dark skinned Africans, who had the same melanin content of other Africans whom we consider "black". I'm not going to force you to call a spade a spade however, but don't insinuate that their skin tone looked anything like Europeans or any other non tropically adapted population.
But the only authoritative source we know of which speaks of direct comparisons compares them to the colchians, which are from the caucasus.
You chose to call the objective testimony of ancient Greek writers "authoratative", over what else exactly?

Secondly I mean did you not read the quote? They are not saying that the ancient Egyptians look like the Colchians because they have "white skin" and "straight hair" they are saying that the Colchians are the descendants of the ancient Egyptians because they too had "black skin" and "whooly hair" like the Egyptians.

For what it's worth recent cranial and genetic studies actually do sugguest the spreading of Haplogroup E into that general region from a migration from Egypt:
  • "A late Pleistocene-early Holocene northward migration (from Africa to the Levant and to Anatolia) of these populations has been hypothesized from skeletal data (Angel 1972, 1973; Brace 2005) and from archaeological data, as indicated by the probable Nile Valley origin of the "Mesolithic" (epi-Paleolithic) Mushabi culture found in the Levant (Bar Yosef 1987). This migration finds some support in the presence in Mediterranean populations (Sicily, Greece, southern Turkey, etc.; Patrinos et al.; Schiliro et al. 1990) of the Benin sickle cell haplotype. This haplotype originated in West Africa and is probably associated with the spread of malaria to southern Europe through an eastern Mediterranean route (Salares et al. 2004) following the expansion of both human and mosquito populations brought about by the advent of the Neolithic transition (Hume et al 2003; Joy et al. 2003; Rich et al 1998). This northward migration of northeastern African populations carrying sub-Saharan biological elements is concordant with the morphological homogeneity of the Natufian populations (Bocquentin 2003), which present morphological affinity with sub-Saharan populations (Angel 1972; Brace et al. 2005). In addition, the Neolithic revolution was assumed to arise in the late Pleistocene Natufians and subsequently spread into Anatolia and Europe (Bar-Yosef 2002), and the first Anatolian farmers, Neolithic to Bronze Age Mediterraneans and to some degree other Neolithic-Bronze Age Europeans, show morphological affinities with the Natufians (and indirectly with sub-Saharan populations; Angel 1972; Brace et al 2005), in concordance with a process of demic diffusion accompanying the extension of the Neolithic revolution (Cavalli-Sforza et al. 1994)."

"Following the numerous interactions among eastern Mediterranean and Levantine populations and regions, caused by the introduction of agriculture from the Levant into Anatolia and southeastern Europe, there was, beginning in the Bronze Age, a period of increasing interactions in the eastern Mediterranean, mainly during the Greek, Roman, and Islamic periods. These interactions resulted in the development of trading networks, military campaigns, and settler colonization. Major changes took place during this period, which may have accentuated or diluted the sub-Saharan components of earlier Anatolian populations. The second option seems more likely, because even though the population from Sagalassos territory was interacting with northeastern African and Levantine populations [trade relationships with Egypt (Arndt et al. 2003), involvement of thousands of mercenaries from Pisidia (Sagalassos region) in the war around 300 B.C. between the Ptolemaic kingdom (centered in Egypt) and the Seleucid kingdom (Syria/Mesopotamia/Anatolia), etc.], the major cultural and population interactions involving the Anatolian populations since the Bronze Age occurred with the Mediterranean populations form southeastern Europe, as suggested from historical and genetic data."

""In this context it is likely that Bronze Age events may have facilitated the southward diffusion of populations carrying northern and central European biological elements and may have contributed to some degree of admixture between northern and central Europeans and Anatolians, and on a larger scale, between northeastern Mediterraneans and Anatolians. Even if we do not know which populations were involved, historical and archaeological data suggest, for instance, the 2nd millennium B.C. Minoan and later Mycenaean occupation of Anatolian coast, the arrival in Anatolia in the early 1st millennium B.C. of the Phrygians coming from Thrace, and later the arrival of settlers from Macedonia in Pisidia and in the Sagalassos territory (under Seleucid rule). The coming of the Dorians from Northern Greece and central Europe (the Dorians are claimed to be one of the main groups at the origin of the ancient Greeks) may have also brought northern and central European biological elements into southern populations. Indeed, the Dorians may have migrated southward to the Peloponnese, across the southern Aegean and Create, and later reached Asia Minor." F. X. Ricaut, M. Waelkens. (2008). Cranial Discrete Traits in a Byzantine Population and Eastern Mediterranean Population Movements Human Biology - Volume 80, Number 5, October 2008, pp. 535-564
Here is a new 2011 genetic study also suggesting settlement Northern Africa into southern Europe:
  • A New Topology of the Human Y Chromosome Haplogroup E1b1 (E-P2) Revealed through the Use of Newly Characterized Binary Polymorphisms

Beniamino Trombetta1, Fulvio Cruciani1, Daniele Sellitto1,2, Rosaria Scozzari

"The new topology here reported has important implications as to the origins of the haplogroup E1b1. Using the principle of the phylogeographic parsimony, the resolution of the E1b1 trifurcation in favor of a common ancestor of E-M2 and E-M329 strongly supports the hypothesis that haplogroup E1b1 originated in eastern Africa, as previously suggested [10], and that chromosomes E-M2, so frequently observed in sub-Saharan Africa, trace their descent to a common ancestor present in eastern Africa.

Within E-M35, there are striking parallels between two haplogroups, E-V68 and E-V257. Both contain a lineage which has been frequently observed in Africa (E-M78 and E-M81, respectively) [6], [8], [10], [13]–[16] and a group of undifferentiated chromosomes that are mostly found in southern Europe (Table S2). An expansion of E-M35 carriers, possibly from the Middle East as proposed by other Authors [14], and split into two branches separated by the geographic barrier of the Mediterranean Sea, would explain this geographic pattern. However, the absence of E-V68* and E-V257* in the Middle East (Table S2) makes a maritime spread between northern Africa and southern Europe a more plausible hypothesis. A detailed analysis of the Y chromosomal microsatellite variation associated with E-V68 and E-V257 could help in gaining a better understanding of the likely timing and place of origin of these two haplogroups."
Which covers a wide variety of brownish tones, but not dark black. Meanwhile, Egyptian frescos show a difference in color, meaning they saw themselves of a lighter skintone than their southern neighbors.
AGAIN why does art only depict realism when you all perceive it as seperating the ancient Egyptians from their southern neighbors. This is blatant hypocrisy which is why I ignore any of you all's implications about Egyptian art!
So my opinion is that they were probably of a brownish color.
The had the same amount of melanin as African populations whom are considered "black". Check the melanin dosage test that Mentuhotep posted earlier.
Oh, and I also would not advice Big Triece to ignore any points, as refusal to debate is grounds for instant banning.
How, by not paying attention to utter bullshit (meaning non scholarly, overtly biased crap regarding art)?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Big Triece wrote:
Thanas wrote:There is however a small problem in using Tiye in anything, as her father's name suggests she was actually of Asiatic descent on her father's side (as do features of his mummy)
What's your point it's been postulated by some, but never proven.
Well, the evidence of the name being of Asiatic descent is backed up by the mummy. So it is about as likely as anything else.
Contrary to that postulation Tiye doesn't appear Asiactic in her facial features.
Oh Geez. Circular logic much? Artistic convention, also just because somebody is descended from something does not mean those features will be prominent etc.

What does a scholar's postulation have to do with the realism of Egyptian art? It's down right ridiculous to rule out Egyptian art as "suspect" evidence for the reason that you note.
How so? There are several examples posted in this thread alone of Egyptian statues being archetypical in nature and not realistic. That alone makes Egyptian statues highly suspect and not any good indicator of race. To show such a correlation, you would essentially have to show that the Egyptian statues you want to use do not conform to the norm of the other statues.

Quite frankly, I am getting a bit tired of you trying to claim statues show photorealistic depictions when it has been shown over and over again that this is not the case.

Hell even Keita makes correlative comparisons using this "suspect data":
Keita also is no art historian, nor any historian at all. That he does not consider any of the problems with using art is not any proof that such art is flawless and photorealistic, rather it is proof of his lack of knowledge on the suspect.
  • "Art objects are not generally used by biological anthropologists. They are suspect as data and their interpretation highly dependent on stereotyped thinking. However, because art has often been used to comment on the physiognomies of ancient Egyptians, a few remarks are in order. A review of literature and the sculpture indicates characteristics that also can be found in the Horn of (East) Africa (see, e.g., Petrie 1939; Drake 1987; Keita 1993). Old and Middle Kingdom statuary shows a range of characteristics; many, if not most, individuals depicted in the art have variations on the narrow-nosed, narrow-faced morphology also seen in various East Africans. This East African anatomy, once seen as being the result of a mixture of different "races," is better understood as being part of the range of indigenous African variation"(S. O. Y and A.J. Boyce, "The Geographical Origins and Population Relationships of Early Ancient Egyptians", in Egypt in Africa, Theodore Celenko (ed), Indiana University Press, 1996, pp. 20-33)

You see there it can't be completely ruled out as you want it to.
Yeah, I am sure going to follow a line of thinking that goes "highly suspect data, but I am going to use regardless". Especially as the Narrow nosed, narrow faced morphology can also be shown in Minoan art. And even if there was an "African" archetype, there is no reason to assume that it continues to realistically depict the following centuries. Look at how Augustus is portrayed, how Cleopatra is portrayed. That egyptian art followed an archetype when it came to statues cannot be denied.
I wasn't aware of a mass Nubian invasion prior to the 25th Dynasty. Therefore why would the royal crania that they access have features most similar to Nubians?
Wasn't keita earlier saying that the issue is still not settled with regards to cranial shape?

No, because they don't have a biased "agenda" to disregard artwork because it proves a point that they don't like. They found that the largest facial structure in Egypt (and probably the world) represents realism and is consistant with the facial structure of broad featured Africans, through their criteria in their EXPERTISE of foresenic analysis.
The problem is that they assume the art is photorealistic.

If Levantine influence was signifigant then why is it a scholarly concensus that Egyptian culture was an indigenous product of AFRICA?
Indigenous does not mean the same thing as no outside influence. Fact is, without the influences Broomstick has already highlighted there would not be much of an Egyptian culture to speak of. Yet it still is indigenous.
Actually the mysterious Nok culture of West Africa that sprang up during Late Dynastic periods, is actually postulated to have been heavily influenced the ancient Egyptians as evidence by them worshipping the same Egyptian Gods:

A Nok sculpture resident at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts portrays a sitting dignitary wearing a "Shepherds Crook" on the right arm and a "hinged flail" on the left. These are symbols of authority associated with ancient Egyptian pharaohs and the god Osiris and suggests that an ancient Egyptian style of social structure, and perhaps religion, existed in the area of modern Nigeria during the late Pharonic period.
No. Just no. Unless you have straight proof from trade routes or anything else, this may just be a parallel development. After all, just because something evolved somewhere else does not mean it was copied.
Secondly I mean did you not read the quote? They are not saying that the ancient Egyptians look like the Colchians because they have "white skin" and "straight hair" they are saying that the Colchians are the descendants of the ancient Egyptians because they too had "black skin" and "whooly hair" like the Egyptians.
Yeah, but the people of the Caucasus have nowhere near as black skin as the Nubians. Which is what I mean by the Egyptians having a different skintone than those to the south of them.

AGAIN why does art only depict realism when you all perceive it as seperating the ancient Egyptians from their southern neighbors. This is blatant hypocrisy which is why I ignore any of you all's implications about Egyptian art!
[/quote]

Wrong. If you cannot understand the difference between archetypical statues and colors used in frescos then I really doubt you understand much about art.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

As for the genetic angle, I have been reading up on the subject a bit and have to say that unlike what Triece claimed, the evidence mainly points to ancient egyptians being largely the same as modern Egyptian, that is to say a mixture of various types. I'll write a huge post about it later on.
------------
------------
My LPs
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

BigTriece:

I would like to know what your personal background qualifications are that you feel you can dismiss such great swathes of argument as "not scholarly", for example the very relevant point Thanas has raised about Egyptian art being archetypal and which others have already brought up.

That line of argument is pretty hilarious in light of the fact that Thanas actually has a university degree in history and is a scholar of the ancient world (of Rome in particular, but by no means only that). He's established that well enough in the years he has been on this board and he is the main moderator of the History subforum for a very good reason.

Your qualifications on the other hand are unknown and unstated and are only backed up by various lines of very poorly thought out argument that have holes big enough to drive entire legions through even at a casual glance, never mind a more rigorous examination.

That is why you are having such a hostile audience here and why your arguments are met with skepticism and suspicion.
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die
Big Triece
Padawan Learner

Post by Big Triece »

Broomstick wrote:People who don't have a racial agenda
:lol: No, you are just trying to be deceptive! You use code wording to try to distinguish the ancient Egyptians from Africans whom are considered "black". For example you earlier baselessly and repetitively asserted that the tropically adapted early ancient Lower Egyptians were "paler " then other tropically adapted populations further south, and made the straw man plea about how I was somehow minimizing their contributions to Egyptian culture. You were making a biological argument void of any biological evidence. Your clear "agenda" was to "lighten" up the early Lower Egyptians.

Another example of your deceptive coding was noticed when I was reading your analysis of Christopher Ehret's article. I notice that you've referred to ancient Egyptians as a "brown" population. Why can't you just call them what you and most others in the Western world would call an Ethiopian or Somali (like the people posted two pages ago), which is "black"? If this is not coding then please name the other populations which you would you consider "brown"?
Words such as "paler" and "lighter skinned" have long been used in discussing the differences between groups like the Khoi-San and the Bantus
"Light/"fairer" skinned" or "dark skinned" tend to be the only relative phrase that I've heard used with "black" populations. Never have I heard the term "pale" used to describe variation in skin tone between "black" populations.
People without a chip on their shoulder can also use these words in discussing people in the region of north east Africa, the north coast of Africa, and the Middle East.
What about East Africans:

Why are they darker than the Nigerian woman above? Why are you considering their skin tone to be in the range of the people in the geographic populations that you just listed? The make generalizations that you can’t back.
Look - no one is disputing that Egypt is located in Africa. I can't fathom why you continue to beat that dead horse.
Then what specifically in my stance below:
  • The early ancient Egyptians were an indigenous Northeast African population, who were most closely related Bio-Culturally to more southerly Northeast African populations both ancient and modern. This ancient African population was proven (via the ecological principals of limb proportions) to be a dark skinned population like other super tropically adapted African populations. Dark skinned Africans are considered "black" where I'm from, so the ancient Egyptians would be considered "black". Melanin dosage testing also corresponds with the ancient Egyptians being dark skinned like other dark skinned African populations to the south of them.
Are you disputing?
As near as I can tell, you've been maintaining that Egyptians are African with NO outside influence. The rest of us say they are African with some outside influence, which needn't be biological.
Another fucking straw man argument that you are attributing to me! Read the statement that I made on page 3 below:
Big Triece wrote:That's the thing! You are over attributing the "trickle" of outside influence (which is goats as far as you've proven) to somehow separate it from the rest of Africa
Is that or is that not acknowledging Levantine influences in early ancient Egypt? I've made that damn statement countless times in our exchange, yet you opt to blow right past it to build a sloppy ass straw man argument.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Big Triece wrote:Why can't you just call them what you and most others in the Western world would call an Ethiopian or Somali (like the people posted two pages ago), which is "black"? If this is not coding then please name the other populations which you would you consider "brown"?
I remember when Iman first hit the modeling scene - she was frequently and mistakenly described as "biracial" in the media despite being entirely African in heritage because compared to many other Africans her group is relatively pale and has a narrow nose, though, clearly she is darker than any European group. Although referred to as "black" clearly she is brown, and a lighter brown than many neighboring peoples, just as she is darker than many other groups. The same can be said of Waris Dirie. There is no "agenda" in noting this. There might have been agenda in calling them "multi-racial", making it more acceptable for some bigots to feel attracted to them, but that's not quite the same thing. Yes, these people are "black" but they are in reality a more medium-brown color on the spectrum of human skin tones. It is entirely accurate to say either one of those women is paler than many other Africans. I don't know why you have such an issue with this. They're still African. They're still among the dark half of humanity.

Most Ethiopians (which actually refers to as many as 80 separate ethnic groups, so they're hardly homogeneous) are darker than the Somali groups Iman and Waris come from, this is true. However, BOTH sets of people are "northeastern Africans" to the same degree, there is every reason to believe all those groups have been in the area similar lengths of time, and just shows that there is a considerable range of traits indigenous to that area. Thus, the Egyptians who came from that general area of Africa could have ranged in skin color anywhere from the pale end represented by Somalians such as Iman and Waris to the Ethiopian Selassie emperors. The upper north east quadrant of Africa has one of the widest ranges in skin colors in the world, claiming otherwise, or that the darker people there are somehow more legitimately African, is flying in the face of fact.
"Light/"fairer" skinned" or "dark skinned" tend to be the only relative phrase that I've heard used with "black" populations. Never have I heard the term "pale" used to describe variation in skin tone between "black" populations.
Now you have. You learn something new every day. Isn't that wonderful?
People without a chip on their shoulder can also use these words in discussing people in the region of north east Africa, the north coast of Africa, and the Middle East.

[...snip yet another long string of pictures, nearly all of which we have seen before in this thread]...

Why are they darker than the Nigerian woman above?
Because you're cherry picking to support your view The only time you pictured anyone from the lighter end of the East African continuum you put an " :lol: " after the picture. This is evidence you don't see those people as legitimately part of East Africa despite the fact they've been there just as long as anyone else.
Look - no one is disputing that Egypt is located in Africa. I can't fathom why you continue to beat that dead horse.
Then what specifically in my stance below:

[...snip information we've seen before...]

Are you disputing?
OK... I say we're not disputing something, then you turn around and say were disputing it. You're deliberately trying to incite an argument.

Big Triece
Padawan Learner

Post by Big Triece »

Thanas wrote:Well, the evidence of the name being of Asiatic descent is backed up by the mummy. So it is about as likely as anything else.
What about her mummy:

Is it her straight hair that you are basing your conclusions on?
  • Hair is made of keratin protein. Keratin is composed of amino acid chains called polypeptides. In a hair, two such chains are called cross-chain polypeptides. These are held together by disulphide bonds. The bulk of the hair, the source of its strength and curl, is called the cortex. The hair shafts are made of a protective outer layer called the cuticle.

We are informed by Afro Hair - A Salon Book, that chemicals for bleaching, penning and straightening hair must reach the cortex to be effective. For hair to be permed or straightened the disulphide bonds in the cortex must be broken. The anthropologist Daniel Hardy writing in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology, tells us that keratin is stable owing to disulphide bonds. However, when hair is exposed to harsh conditions it can lead to oxidation of protein molecules in the cortex, which leads to the alteration of hair texture, such as straightening.

Two British anthropologists, Brothwell and Spearman, have found evidence of cortex keratin oxidation in ancient Egyptian hair. They held that the mummification process was responsible, because of the strong alkaline substance used. This resulted in the yellowing and browning of hair as well as the straightening effect

http://wysinger.homestead.com/hair2.html
Her actual skull has morphological overlapping with Nubian populations:
  • "First identified as Queen Tiye the occipital bun is reminiscent of Mesolithic Nubians (see below). Sagittal plateau, rounded forehead with moderately projecting glabella; globular cranium with high vault. Protrusion of incisors, receding chin and steep mandible. Very vertical zygomatic arches and pronounced maxillary prognathism." Drs. James Harris & Edward Wente (X-ray Atlas of Royal Mummies).
Regardless Northeast Africans like this Beja girl for example also have straight hair:

What does a scholar's postulation have to do with the realism of Egyptian art? It's down right ridiculous to rule out Egyptian art as "suspect" evidence for the reason that you note.
How so? There are several examples posted in this thread alone of Egyptian statues being archetypical in nature and not realistic.
Did I not just explain my stance on Egyptian art earlier? While it may not be the most realistic art it would be down right silly to insist that it was COMPLETELY void of realism.
That alone makes Egyptian statues highly suspect and not any good indicator of race
Did I not just state that? How many damn times have I stated that Egyptian art is "suspect" evidence? Why are you trying so desperately to void it of any realism?
Quite frankly, I am getting a bit tired of you trying to claim statues show photorealistic depictions
It CAN lightly be used to help make some inferences. I just displayed to you how Bio-Anthropologist Keita just used Egyptian art work to make a light correlation between the ancient Egyptians and East African populations. If it was completely void of realism as you are making it seem then why would a man of his credentials and forensic experts use such "fictional" art to help make an inference on Egyptian individuals or the populace? It just seems to be YOUR opinion that it cannot be used AT ALL in this discussion.
Keita also is no art historian, nor any historian at all.
Did you not read the title of his lecture on page one? "The Bio-Cultural Origins of early ancient Egypt" is title of the lecture. How in Hell can he not have credentials as a historian if he is giving in dept lectures about the history of the Nile Valley and Africa to Cambridge university student? Here are some of his publications:

S.O.Y. Keita & A. J. Boyce, History in Africa, 32 pp. 221–246 (2005)

Studies and Comments on Ancient Egyptian Biological Relationships, S.O.Y. Keita, History in Africa, 20: 129-154 (1993): The Origins of Afro-asiatic, Ehret, Keita and Newman, Science (2004)
That he does not consider any of the problems with using art
Did not even glance over the first sentences of the passage that I just posted for you?
  • "Art objects are not generally used by biological anthropologists. They are suspect as data and their interpretation highly dependent on stereotyped thinking" (S. O. Y and A.J. Boyce, "The Geographical Origins and Population Relationships of Early Ancient Egyptians", in Egypt in Africa, Theodore Celenko (ed), Indiana University Press, 1996, pp. 20-33)
Keita is clearly disapproving over reliance on artwork as evidence for such a stance, while not completely ruling it out. Why can't you be content with that statement? Is it because of what it implies about certain pieces of art work presented in this thread?
is not any proof that such art is flawless and photorealistic, rather it is proof of his lack of knowledge on the suspect.
Don't criticize this man's credentials, as I'm certain that he has many more than you! As far as this subject is concerned S.O.Y Keita is THE authority on this matter. If he feels confident that Egyptian artwork might give us incite into the physical appearances of the ancient Egyptians than I'm going by his words not yours.
Yeah, I am sure going to follow a line of thinking that goes "highly suspect data, but I am going to use regardless". Especially as the Narrow nosed, narrow faced morphology can also be shown in Minoan art. And even if there was an "African" archetype
That is what he means by "suspect data". It can not and will not give us complete answers to this question. Coupled with biological research however his analysis that this they likely resembled East African populations to the south of Egypt is the most probable scenario, would you think?
Wasn't keita earlier saying that the issue is still not settled with regards to cranial shape?
No, it is settled and has been settled for over two decades now. Ancient Egyptian skeletal remains are most similar to African populations to the south.
Fact is, without the influences Broomstick has already highlighted there would not be much of an Egyptian culture to speak of. Yet it still is indigenous.
Well it's probable to think that way. None the less the culture that lead to Dynastic Egypt was proven empirically to be an indigenous product of Upper Egyptians.
No. Just no. Unless you have straight proof from trade routes or anything else, this may just be a parallel development
:wtf: From the structure that statue, actual qualified art historians determined that these ancient Nigerians worshipped an Egyptian God! Unless you're going to argue that Nigerians also somehow created the same religious spectrum as seen in ancient Egypt, then the most likely scenario is that they were influenced by the culture through the noted trade that the ancient Egyptians had with inner Africa.

What the Hell is up with all of your denial?

It is also postulated that the ancient Egypt was the birth place of Voodoo. Yes the ancient Egyptians did believe that created a figurine of an enemy and damaging it would harm or kill them. Voodoo is now seen mainly in the same general West Africa and of course in the Caribbean and New Orleans. Read the publication by Joseph J Williams.
Yeah, but the people of the Caucasus have nowhere near as black skin as the Nubians. Which is what I mean by the Egyptians having a different skin tone than those to the south of them.

:lol: Thanas how would know how you know how black the Nubian skin tone was?
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Has anyone noticed that some of the pictures of the black africans including the video on page of the guy stating this he was a real egyptian and black is not what most americans would consider black?

Maybe Brown.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Big Triece
Padawan Learner

Post by Big Triece »

Broomstick wrote:I remember when Iman first hit the modeling scene - she was frequently and mistakenly described as "biracial" in the media despite being entirely African in heritage because compared to many other Africans her group is relatively pale and has a narrow nose, though, clearly she is darker than any European group.
:lol: Are you talking about this Iman:

Her nose actually looks wider now, along with her obvious skin tone lightening.
Although referred to as "black" clearly she is brown, and a lighter brown than many neighboring peoples, just as she is darker than many other groups.
Then notice you are completely ignoring the Somali Children and the Afar Elder who are blacker than the West African Fula woman. In fact numerous examples of Northeast Africans have been given to you yet you seem fixated on Iman.
It is entirely accurate to say either one of those women is paler than many other Africans.
Sure the technical use of the word "paler" permits this, but who in the Hell uses the term to describe variance between populations whom are considered "black"? "Ligher skinned" is the general phrase to describe these variances, at least from another "black" individuals experiences.
Most Ethiopians (which actually refers to as many as 80 separate ethnic groups, so they're hardly homogeneous) are darker than the Somali groups
You base this on what? What Somali group does Iman come from?
The upper north east quadrant of Africa has one of the widest ranges in skin colors in the world, claiming otherwise, or that the darker people there are somehow more legitimately African, is flying in the face of fact.
No one ever insinuated that Northeast Africans who have a lighter skin variance are somehow not African. What should be noted however are that some populations do have signifigant admixture from the Near East which can and has altered some of their appearances. It should also be noted that such populations like modern Lower Nubians who are signifigantly admixed with haplogroup J do not group as closely to the ancient Egyptians as modern Somalis whom are absence of foreign admixture.
Now you have. You learn something new every day. Isn't that wonderful?
:lol: Deceptive BS
Because you're cherry picking to support your view The only time you pictured anyone from the lighter end of the East African continuum you put an " :lol: " after the picture.
I'm not cherry picking a damn thing! Somalis and Ethiopians are some of the darkest people on Earth, but do have high skin tone variance. Nigerians and West Africans in general likewise has a wide range of skin tones from the very black population of Senegal to the medium brown populations of Nigeria.

The reason why I put "lol" is because of Eddie Murphy's ugly ass in that picture.
This is evidence you don't see those people as legitimately part of East Africa despite the fact they've been there just as long as anyone else.
:wtf: Why the fuck would I post a picture of Eddie Murphy and IMAN to relay my point if I felt that they weren't a good representation of what early ancient Egypt looked like? You're talking out of your ass now. I in fact frequently use that same comparison between Iman and Nefertiti to relay this point.
OK... I say we're not disputing something, then you turn around and say were disputing it. You're deliberately trying to incite an argument.
No the point is, for 5 LONG ASS pages I have in an exchange with your ass, over something. The point below:
  • The early ancient Egyptians were an indigenous Northeast African population, who were most closely related Bio-Culturally to more southerly Northeast African populations both ancient and modern. This ancient African population was proven (via the ecological principals of limb proportions) to be a dark skinned population like other super tropically adapted African populations. Dark skinned Africans are considered "black" where I'm from, so the ancient Egyptians would be considered "black". Melanin dosage testing also corresponds with the ancient Egyptians being dark skinned like other dark skinned African populations to the south of them.
Is what I've maintained throughout this dissucussion? But hey if you agree with my stance than I guess this discussion with you is over.
Big Triece
Padawan Learner

Post by Big Triece »

ArmorPierce wrote:Has anyone noticed that some of the pictures of the black africans including the video on page of the guy stating this he was a real egyptian and black is not what most americans would consider black?
Let's look at the definition of Negro again:
  • Negro-of, pertaining to, or characteristic of one of the traditional racial divisions of humankind, generally marked by brown to black skin pigmentation, dark eyes, and woolly or crisp hair and including especially the indigenous peoples of Africa south of the Sahara.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Negro

Mulugeta Seraw was the Ethiopian immigrant who was beaten to death by skinheads in Portland back in the late 80's. While he was being beaten the skin heads kept calling him a n******.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... land-trial

By the way do you know what Rosa Parks looked like?
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Spoonist wrote:
Big Triece wrote:lol Well once you answer the questions above we'll see how well your interpretations of them hold up.
I'm sorry, you are again conflating me with others.
My interpretation of such studies would be that they claim that ancient egyptians is more closely related to modern egyptians than to any other tribe/people/group. Indicating that what we see today would be similar to what it was back then.
Big Triece wrote:
Spoonist wrote:@bigTIf you are going to ignore me it would be better if you say so clearly, especially since you claim not to be a coward.
I made my stance clear! If you have something that you dispute in my stance then specify what it is so that we can disscuss it. Everything else in my opinion is tit tat.
If so its your tit tat. You made claims regarding me that was untrue. When I pointed that out to you you ignored me. Nice to know that you wanted this to be kindergarten level of maturity.
It's ironic that you do such things when at the same time whining that everyone misunderstands your position. From where I'm looking you have so far misunderstood mine three times now and I'm a small percentage of this topic so far.
Big Triece wrote:
No I made my stance clear on page one, at I believe it was YOUR request. Some people just have a problem with my stance, yet not dare to challenge because they all know damn well that I can back everything that I believe.
Not this again, I even showed how unclear you was on p1 in my response on p2. So let me repeat; you are not coming across as clear as you think.
Thanas wrote:As for the genetic angle, I have been reading up on the subject a bit and have to say that unlike what Triece claimed, the evidence mainly points to ancient egyptians being largely the same as modern Egyptian, that is to say a mixture of various types. I'll write a huge post about it later on.
Even Keita mentions it as well.