Pointing out racists makes racist more racist

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Pointing out racists makes racist more racist

Post by Zac Naloen »

"I have to say, I have no problem with a sector of society getting greater scrutiny at airports etc as a result of profiling, it's just common sense to look closer at a young muslim with no baggage travelling alone on a one way ticket rather than an 80 year old grandmother.

The problem with the bed wetting, hair shirt wearers is that their desire to see racism and discrimination at every turn trivialises genuine racism and discrimination as well as upping the ranks of the BNP voters by feeding into their mindset of the dissaffected. At least it makest them feel good about themselves though."

Here's the post I need to respond to, the problem I'm having is that I know it's flawed I just can't work out how... anybody got any thoughts on a correct response to this?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Re: Pointing out racists makes racist more racist

Post by spaceviking »

What the fuck is a hair shirt wearer?
Regarding the actual question, point out that huge improvement in airport security can be made by profiling based on behaviour and not race, the ‘real racism’ is easy to deal with the race that seems reasonable is what reasonable people perpetuate..
(sorry I can’t provide any references I am remembering from a radio interview.)
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I had to google that as well, apparently a hair shirt is a shirt course top that leaves you in a permanent state of discomfort.

New one on me as well :lol:
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
d'Artagnan
Redshirt

Post by d'Artagnan »

Zac Naloen wrote:I had to google that as well, apparently a hair shirt is a shirt course top that leaves you in a permanent state of discomfort.

New one on me as well :lol:
It's almost certainly a reference to its use in Roman Catholic penance rituals, where it was used to remind the user of their sin via the unpleasantness of the horsehair. Essentially, this person is saying that the current backlash against racism is a form of penance that whites are inflicting on themselves and that we should aspire to some pseudo-Nietzschean system of self-defined morals that let us single out brown people with funny names.
"Some people might call me lazy. I call it stopping to smell the roses and taking advantage of weak people." -My friend Kate

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?” -Mark Twain
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

EDIT: sorry, didn't see the date