US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Prop 8 now at
52% yes
48% no
43% reporting
Isn't that narrower? So it might still go either way?

Still, unfortunate that its even that close.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I saw McCain's mob booing him when he announced he had lost. The other posters are right that it shows the nasty side of McCain's campaign. However, I think the real reason is that these people simply have no fucking class and don't know how to act halfway dignified in public.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Ghetto edit:
sketerpot wrote:It's much better to vote Prop 8 down. That would make the beatdown complete, and all we'd be hearing for a few days would be lamentations of their women.
Not really, you'd be hearing lamentations of their men. Women are more liberal on social issues. :P CNN said women split evenly on Prop 8 in exit polls, while men were barely in favor of it.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Isn't that narrower? So it might still go either way?

Still, unfortunate that its even that close.
CNN has it back to 53-47 now.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Metatwaddle wrote:You do? I'm all in favor of gay rights, but I think the analysis is more like hyperbole. Prop 8 is about being allowed to marry. Prop 2 was about being allowed to stand up and turn around.
Both are about compassion and decency.

@ Romulan Republic:

The problem right now is that according to the provided country tracker, San Francisco and a lot of areas in Northern California are largely reported it seems, while LA and San Diego (the two largest counties with the two largest cities of the same names) are trending towards yes. It's going to take a strong push from these areas, and unfortunately Southern California is much more conservative than the North.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

"A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over, their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight, restore their government to its true principles. It is true that in the meantime we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the horrors of a war and long oppressions of enormous public debt.
If the game runs sometimes against us at home we must have patience till luck turns, and then we shall have an opportunity of winning back the principles we have lost, for this is a game where principles are at stake."

- Thomas Jefferson
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for voting in the guy that's significantly less likely to fuck up the rest of the world.

You did good.
:D
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

47/52 Obama in the popular vote. An actual majority, instead of that 49/49 crap.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:wtf: Is Alaska passing Floriduh for the dumbest state? First they produce Palin, now they are voting a CONVICTED FELON back into the Senate. What. The. Fuck. Over?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

If Stevens wins, then resigns, Caribou Barbie gets to appoint his replacement. It's not stupid, just slimy.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

There are tears streaming down my face as I woke up this morning to discover the result and hear his acceptance speech. Congratulations President Elect Obama, congratulations Americans.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Jim Starluck
Redshirt

Post by Jim Starluck »

For the first time in my life, I can say "Yeah, I'm from America and I voted for our President" and be proud of it. :mrgreen:

*goes to bed happy*
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger starship and try again.
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

I am not hopeful for what Obama's Presidency will turn out, but I accept the results in good democratic spirit.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Latest report from Alaska: Stevens +1, 3100 votes ahead. 66% of Alaska counted.

Remaining senate seats:
Martin- 98% in; Chambliss 50%, Martin 46%. If Chambliss falls below 50%, the Democrats can try to take the seat during a runoff in December.

Franken- 96% in; Franken tied. +1,000 Franken. Franken's a weak candidate, and his winning of this is in doubt.

Merckley- 45% in; Smith tied. +3,000 Smith. Merckley is unexpectedly weak, his victory isn't assured. However, the urban areas have not come in yet.

With these 4, we would reach 59+Lieberman. 57 + Lieberman or Moderate Republicans would be good, 59 would be better.

House Report:
248 Democratic
168 Republican
19 Uncalled

Democrats need to win 12 of the 19 uncalled to own 60% of the House, which is more of a cool thing than necessary- the bigger the majority, however, the better.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

C'mon Franken, pull through for me! Hopefully the remaining precincts from Hennepin county will put him over the top.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

You know what, republicans? Stop whinnying about the fact that being republicans or voting for republicans means you are doing something that is patriotic.

What Obama has done, what the voters and supporters has done, is to show to everyone that voting for Obama can allow many Americans to be proud of their nation for once.

In the midst of a depressed outlook at life and in the midst of darkness, we have seen brightness and a light that has been lid. The world as a whole can finally be happy and celebrate since we celebrated the millennium.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Based on the information I can find Arizona looks like it is going to pass a constitutional amendment defining marriage as "one man, one woman". :?

It looks like my county (Pima) is the only county to vote against it and even that was within a few thousand votes of going the other way. :|

My county also went for Obama even though McCain won the state.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

The 4 Remaining Senate Seats:

Alaska: Stevens is now back up to +4600 and +3%, with 72% reporting in. This one looks tough for Begich if the remaining parts aren't urban democratic areas.
Georgia: Chambliss is frozen at 50%, with 99% of precincts reporting in. This one looks like it'll barely avoid being a reunoff. Perhaps a recount will occur.
Minnesota: Franken has lost the lead again, down 1600 votes in the tie. 97% of the votes are in.
Oregon: Smith, the Republican, is ahead by a scant 500 votes. 55% of the state is counted.

Current Senate: 54 Democrats, Sanders, Lieberman, and 40 Republicans. 4 Uncalled.

Current House:
250 Democrats
16 Uncalled
169 Republicans
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

8 long, painful years....

Its not the good times, not yet, but now we just might have a chance to push forward against the challenges with confidence and vigor...rather then crashing and burning.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and drink the tears of all the conservatives over on Spacebattles crying their hearts out...
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

"Some very weird things are going on in Georgia, as the total vote is much, much lower than expected. Some speculation has the early vote not being counted, which would strongly suggest that Saxby Chambliss will have to face a runoff in four weeks.

If Franken holds on, if Jeff Merkley in Oregon can win (Multnomah is the big Portland Democratic engine and is largely outstanding), then it is increasingly likely that the Dems will converge on Georgia for the next four weeks to try to win the 60th Senate seat." --Nate Silver
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Some Early Votes in Georgia Not Included

Chambliss could definitely face a runoff that he will lose if 2 million votes went into the system even if they were barely in Martin's favour.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Here is California. Being fucking stupid. Votes by county on Prop 8.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I think one reason prop eight manage to suceed is due to the fact that moderates simply don't care about the issue enough to vote 'no'

The moderates is simply, indifferent towards the rights of homosexuals. On the other hand, the religious community actually care about the issue to vote 'yes'

By the way, Obama was right about the road to do the right thing is hard. Certain members on SB.com is already planning to screw the nation upside down, just because of the fact that, his candidate did not win the election.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Daily Kos has Franken +3000 now and it looks like much of the remaining precincts are in blue counties in the north east of the state. That could be a good sign, but I'm still cautious.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

By the way, Obama was right about the road to do the right thing is hard. Certain members on SB.com is already planning to screw the nation upside down, just because of the fact that, his candidate did not win the election.
How so? If anyone's suggesting acts of violence, they should be reported to law enforcement.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
How so? If anyone's suggesting acts of violence, they should be reported to law enforcement.
It doesn't look like anyone is making specific threats, just that they think he will be assassinated and soon.

But uhhh... remind me not to go there again. I'm still trying to wipe the idiot smears off my screen. :|
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)