US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Just read on another forum that Virginia's been called for McCain. Is this true?
No. None of the NOVA counties have been reported; Obama's actually doing relatively well, given all that's been called are the rural VA states.
Diocletian had the right idea.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Scratch that- at 10%, Obama pulls ahead to a 400,000 lead; 57-42. Southern Florida appears to be an Obama landslide even as north as Orlando and between Miami and there, save places that old people retire in. Unknown how big the population of North Florida is if that will counterbalance that, knowing where big cities are hasn't been my strong suit. Panhandle closes in 2 minutes, results will start filtering in. Florida seems efficient this year.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Pennyslvania immediately called for Obama. McCain has just lost.
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

PA to Obama!
Diocletian had the right idea.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

MSNBC just gave Obama 'projected win' in a shitload of states, including Pennsylvania.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Damn that was a significant amount of projections for Obama.

77 Obama 34 McCain
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Masami von Weizegger
Padawan Learner

Post by Masami von Weizegger »

The Beeb's also going all out with the Obama projections. 84-34 in his favour.
"That a man might embiggen his soul"
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Georgia's not been called yet because the big cities aren't in, I'm pretty sure.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

No celebrating yet, they're just projecting the call based on polls. No results in yet for PA. We'll be sure when results come in.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

The fact that states like Pennylvania are immediately called for Obama, while states like Alabama and Mississippi are "too close to call" though leaning McCain (and will go for him in the end) means we are looking at a landslide.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Exactly, CNN just said Pennsylvania not called. And Virginia's going towards McCain. It's not over yet.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

MRDOD wrote:MSNBC just gave Obama 'projected win' in a shitload of states, including Pennsylvania.
Speaking of MSNBC, Chris Matthews just said that "the McCain strategy for taking Pennsylvania has crashed."

Ouch.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Bounty wrote:MSNBC has SC for McCain when he's 12% behind? The hell?
South Carolina has been polling a double digit McCain lead for decades and there simply aren't enough AA votes to shift things that drastically. Its much the same reaosn why MD, CT, IL, DC, MA, etc all got called for Obama before a single precinct reported in. Oh sure there is a chance that they mgiht get egg on their face but its roughly a 99.5% chance that McCain takes South Carolina, that's the confidence interval most networks require before making a call.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

D.Turtle wrote:The fact that states like Pennylvania are immediately called for Obama, while states like Alabama and Mississippi are "too close to call" though leaning McCain (and will go for him in the end) means we are looking at a landslide.
Or overeager reporting?
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Surlethe wrote:Georgia's not been called yet because the big cities aren't in, I'm pretty sure.
Also, the exit polls and election day voting results should be skewed toward McCain because a disproportionate amount of Democrats voted early.

Speaking of early voting, when will votes be counted and added to the totals?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

11% of Florida Gay Marriage Ban in:
60% Yes, 40% No
needs 60% to pass.
Strider
Youngling

Post by Strider »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Just read on another forum that Virginia's been called for McCain. Is this true?
Probably about as true as MSNBC calling Pennsylvania for Obama with 0 votes.
“I can kill demons. I can crash cars. Things are looking up!”
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Probably about as true as MSNBC calling Pennsylvania for Obama with 0 votes.
Well the guy who posted it admitted he was watching Fox. I think that's the answer right their. :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

CNN's comparison between how Bush did in 2004 and how McCain is doing right now was very interesting. McCain is underpreforming, which doesn't bode well. Obama has got it.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Quetzalcoatl
Youngling

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I strongly recommend using the Times to track the election. They don't call states as early as some of the others have.
"Maybe next time a girl touches his scrote he won't jump and run away."
"Well Quetz doesn't seem like a complete desperate loser, and seems like an OK guy... almost to the point of being a try hard OK guy IMO "How dare you fondle my jewels young lady!"

-Sanchez and Havok, on my problems with women
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Obama's got a big lead in Ohio, though they've just started counting.

And its tightened a few points in Georgia. I don't think Obama will take it, but he might poll over 40%.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Ha, that bitch Dole has lost.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Obama reaches 2 million in florida, still has a 300k lead on McCain, 54-46 percentagewise. 25% of the State has reported in. The panhandle is still waiting- it's low population compared to the rest of the state but almost universally red. Could narrow a lot.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Obama's got a big lead in Ohio, though they've just started counting.

And its tightened a few points in Georgia. I don't think Obama will take it, but he might poll over 40%.
If the pre-election polling is even remotely accurate Obama should pull roughly 45% of the vote. Note that Atlanta (which shoudl go for Obama huge) isn't yet reporting.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Why does this Blitzer character have to shout every question?

My map's showing an Obama lead in Texas with 1% counted. I'm guessing that's another Democratic county fluking up the numbers?