US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by Guardsman Bass »

RedImperator wrote:EDIT: Left out the Utah governor's race, such as it is.
There's no point in even mentioning it. Huntsman is going to glide into re-election with something like 60-70% of voters casting their votes for him (I heard from my pollster/teacher that he's trying to reach 75+%, which would be a new Utah record for gubernatorial victory). Springmeyer (the local Democratic Sacrifice) was polling at something like 18% a few days ago; the same pollster/teacher told me that breaking 40% would be considered a "win" for them.

One thing you Californians should really keep an eye on is the Proposition that would change California's re-districting system, taking it away from the state legislature and giving it to a bipartisan committee. It's gotten almost no attention since Proposition 8 has been sucking up all of the political oxygen, but if it passes, it will have an enormous effect on the Californian political system (California's state legislature is insanely gerrymandered).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The Romulan Republic wrote:So far I've only heard Kentucky called. Have any others been called clearly for one or the other?
Vermont for Obama, no numbers.
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

Bounty wrote: Is CNN's coverage tolerable?
yes it is.
Holograms are way cooler than reports on schools.
ditto man.
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

2% counted in Florida, 55 Obama.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Race in Georgia.

54% Chambliss
43% Martin
3% Libertarian Guy

"Too Close To Call", MSNBC
Strider
Youngling

Post by Strider »

The vote in Pasco county FL is apparently 52% Obama, 0% McCain, with 0% (assumed round down) precincts. This is probably causing the weird ghost 3rd party effect in Florida. MSNBC and CNN both seem confused.
“I can kill demons. I can crash cars. Things are looking up!”
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Bounty wrote:2% counted in Florida, 55 Obama.
That's because 20% of Orlando just thunked into play, which went for Obama by +19.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I'll shut up now.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Strider wrote:The vote in Pasco county FL is apparently 52% Obama, 0% McCain, with 0% (assumed round down) precincts. This is probably causing the weird ghost 3rd party effect in Florida. MSNBC and CNN both seem confused.
Check the detailed tab on CNN, it's fixed. It appears to be a typo.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Bounty wrote:I'll shut up now.
Why? I'm just adding details as to why Florida is wildly fluctuating, since living here I know what the heck is going on with the votes. It's a very divided state, between the cubans and the white liberal cities in the middle and the northern alabama sections. So which section is counted first will cause distortions with what side seems to be winning.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Bounty wrote:I'll shut up now.
Honestly don't.

Kinda in the way that yes we've jumped Tribun relentlessly about the polling but at the same time if he never asked the questions or spouted the ridiculous notions then it woudl have been hard to get a hook for folks like Red or I to provide some context to others. The big thing here is that Tribun kept doing it for weeks, for one night its understandable that anxiety runs high and crazy questions are going to come out there. If you stay quiet then its gonna have to be someone else asking the questions.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think any of us should censor ourselves because hell I've already recognized my own craziness in early optimism for Lunsford in what is likely gonna be an all night battle so tonight is the kind of night that detached judgement requires putting everythign out on the board so we can all process together.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Grant Park looks crazy. Blitzer can't even get a word in over the cheers.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Bloody fucking hell. I know they've not done counting, but 70 % McCain in Georgia is not encouraging.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

A few hundred thousand cuban votes in Miami just entered into the florida count- Obama 56 McCain 43. Obama's now leading by 150,000.

MSNBC just called South Carolina for McCain with only 15,000 votes in (less than 1% of the state), with 53% of them for Obama and 46% on McCain. I think they're going too fast, relying on polls. I'm not an expert on the areas that have been polled, if it's a statistical fluctuation due to counting a lot of African Americans first by random chance, but it might be pretty close.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Bloody fucking hell. I know they've not done counting, but 70 % McCain in Georgia is not encouraging.
It's the south. What do you expect?
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Bloody fucking hell. I know they've not done counting, but 70 % McCain in Georgia is not encouraging.
It's Georgia. I'm pretty sure it's been red forever.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

MSNBC just called South Carolina for McCain with only 15,000 votes in (less than 1% of the state), with 53% of them for Obama and 46% on McCain. I think they're going too fast, relying on polls. I'm not an expert on the areas that have been polled, if it's a statistical fluctuation due to counting a lot of African Americans first by random chance, but it might be pretty close.
What. The. Bloody. Fuck? :shock:

Obama's leading by a wide margin, with one percent in, and they call it for McCain? :evil:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

T-10 minutes to ten polls closing. Interesting times ahead. And CNN, is this really the right time for Seattle travel ads?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It's Georgia. I'm pretty sure it's been red forever.
I was under the impression that Georgia was closer this year. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

MSNBC has SC for McCain when he's 12% behind? The hell?
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

9% of Florida is in. Obama is leading by 180,000. Obama has reached 1,000,000 votes. 55% Obama, 45% McCain. Third Party Negligible.
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

350,000 vote lead in Florida for Obama with 10% reporting in; NOVA just beginning to trickle in.
Diocletian had the right idea.
Strider
Youngling

Post by Strider »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
What. The. Bloody. Fuck? :shock:

Obama's leading by a wide margin, with one percent in, and they call it for McCain? :evil:
They're calling it for McCain probably based on where those votes are coming from in SC. Those are probably some of the most democratic counties in the state, and using comparison estimation those totals make it clear that SC will go republican. Or, incidentally, they could just be blindly trusting a huge divide in the pre-election polls.
“I can kill demons. I can crash cars. Things are looking up!”
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Just read on another forum that Virginia's been called for McCain. Is this true?

D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

You have to remember that only 1% of the vote is in.

When you get into the region of maybe 10-20% in you can start looking for a trend. When you get up to 50% or so then you can start predicting stuff from it.

Obviously the news organisations call earlier where possible through exit polling and the like, especially in states like Kentucky, Vermont, etc that were already extremely obviously going for McCain or Obama.

The fact that they had to wait before now calling South Carolina for McCain is extremely bad for McCain.
Bounty wrote:MSNBC has SC for McCain when he's 12% behind?The hell?
I guess that they got in more polling. Or something ;)