US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Bounty wrote:Why does this Blitzer character have to shout every question?

My map's showing an Obama lead in Texas with 1% counted. I'm guessing that's another Democratic county fluking up the numbers?
Well, maybe he could actually win it. :mrgreen:

Nah, of course he won't, but I can dream. :wink: And it certainly illustrates the folly of jumping to conclusions based on early results.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

33% of Kentucky in, McConnell up 20,000 +4%. Chambliss is leading by 70,000 +21% with 7% in.

Looks like the Republicans keep their leaders.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Bounty wrote:My map's showing an Obama lead in Texas with 1% counted. I'm guessing that's another Democratic county fluking up the numbers?
Most likely, E-V is reporting +52% McCain.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

I love the FNC / MSNBC characterizations being thrown out there.

FNC: "Florida is like Moby Dick for the Democrats. They won't be happy unless they have it."
MSNBC: "Pennsylvania is fool's gold for Republicans!"
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I think it's kind of weird that the media called Pennsylvania for Obama so quickly, especially since they've spent the last couple weeks acting as if McCain had a chance there.

Also, I'm watching the results for Virginia coming in, and Obama is behind by double digits. I know it's probably just because the rural count- er, "Real Virginia" is reporting first, but how's he doing relative to John Kerry four years ago?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

As of now, Indiana is 52% McCain and 47% Obama, but Lake County hasn't reported yet which is a solidly Democratic county, and quite populous.

Remarkably, PORTER county went blue.

Many counties haven't even started to report in, most that have are rural and quite conservative. Indiana is too close to call, it could tip to Obama once the urbanized NW fully reports in.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

New Hampshire called for Obama on CNN.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

N. Hampshire just called for Barack.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

MSNBC calls for Hagan, against Dole. Dole accused Hagan of being an Atheist and taking Godless Dollars from "Godless Americans" but got backlash.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Lol, Arkansas is too early to call.

Oh and 4 Senate seat pickups so far for the Democrats.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

MRDOD wrote:MSNBC calls for Hagan, against Dole. Dole accused Hagan of being an Atheist and taking Godless Dollars from "Godless Americans" but got backlash.
Good for the bitch. She needs her ass kicked in the polls for that 'lol atheism horror!' terroristic bullshit.
Image Image
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Yup, Indiannapolis still has probably another 100k+ votes to count and its trending huge towards Obama...and the first batch from Lake County comes in 12k Obama vs 4k McCain. This is gonna go down to the wire. I'm betting Washignton and Oregon get called before Indiana.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Georgia called for McCain by MSNBC
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

CNN projects Pennsylvania for Obama.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

CNN calls Pennsylvania.

And Texas is 51% lead, I think for McCain but I'm not sure.

Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

64-36 in favour of banning gay adoption in Arkansas, preliminary results only. Would make it the second state after Florida to do so.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The Romulan Republic wrote:CNN calls Pennsylvania.

And Texas is 51% lead, I think for McCain but I'm not sure.
50/50 tied for me, 1% counted, so it's not significant.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

MSNBC has called that the Massachusetts repeal of Income Tax will not pass, and that Missouri will change Governor from Republican to Democrat.

Current Senate:
37 Democrats, +7 Projected
2 Independents
26 Republicans, +4 Projected
24 Uncalled

Current House:
34 Democrats
17 Republicans
384 Uncalled
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I have electoral collage math at 107 Obama, 27 McCain based on CNN. Is that about right, or am I missing anything?

Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

41% in, Obama leading 150,000 in Florida. 51% Obama, 49% McCain. Getting close. Panhandle still uncounted. Miami and Palm Beach mostly uncounted.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Wait, is there a Fox News ad on CNN?
The Romulan Republic wrote:I have electoral collage math at 107 Obama, 27 McCain based on CNN. Is that about right, or am I missing anything?
102 - 34.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I have electoral collage math at 107 Obama, 27 McCain based on CNN. Is that about right, or am I missing anything?
CNN themselves have 102/34.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

MSNBC has it at 103-58 so far.

10 minutes to go until the next huge batch of states comes in.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

CNN themselves have 102/34.[/quote]

107 was a typo. How much is S. Carolina worth? That's probably where I've got the discrepancy.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The Romulan Republic wrote:CNN themselves have 102/34.
107 was a typo. How much is S. Carolina worth? That's probably where I've got the discrepancy.[/quote]

A few minutes to the next batch.