SD+SB in Middle Earth

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Vympel wrote:Give me one T-55. I'll defeat Mordor myself.
On that note, give me a Hind-D with plenty of FFARs, a few Mistral missiles, few thousand rounds of 12.7mm for the gatling gun and 8 spec-ops guys in the back and I'll give you the helmet of Sauron himself.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Darth Wong wrote: Secure sources of food and water. All the firepower in the world won't do you a damned bit of good if you starve to death. Given the length of time we're in field (at least one year, and possibly many years), this is not a trivial concern at all. We must be self-sufficient, so we need to dig for water and learn to be farmers. Living off MRE's inside the base would be crazy; they will run out eventually, and we would need them for siege situations (although our vastly superior weapon range would mitigate the effect of a siege).
I know a bit about agriculture...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
On that note, give me a Hind-D with plenty of FFARs, a few Mistral missiles, few thousand rounds of 12.7mm for the gatling gun and 8 spec-ops guys in the back and I'll give you the helmet of Sauron himself.
Take a HIND-E. They're not an interim model and have better ATGMs to kill those nasty Mordor tanks ... erm ... wait ...
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

So many fun ideas
Though personal I'd prefer an A-10 myself(Gotta love the Tank gun)

Of course you know Apaches loaded to the brim with the dumbfire rocket pods would be best for taking out masses of troops

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Vympel wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Take a HIND-E. They're not an interim model and have better ATGMs to kill those nasty Mordor tanks ... erm ... wait ...
The Hind-E can be my buddy flight since Hinds aren't as nimble as most gunships so they fly in paris.

The D has the four barrel .50 gatling gun though and really, the Mistrals are for anti-air if anything, rockets will do the rest. :)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
The D has the four barrel .50 gatling gun though and really, the Mistrals are for anti-air if anything, rockets will do the rest. :)
HIND-E (Mi-24V) has the YakB 12.7mm as well. It's the HIND-F (Mi-24P) with the big 30mm cannon strapped to the side.

I don't think you'll need Mistrals- the YakB will kill em fine :)
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Vympel wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:
HIND-E (Mi-24V) has the YakB 12.7mm as well. It's the HIND-F (Mi-24P) with the big 30mm cannon strapped to the side.

I don't think you'll need Mistrals- the YakB will kill em fine :)
There is also the 23mm version of the same twin-barrel pod, but I prefer the gatling gun for mass strafing runs. :wink:

I wonder if napalm and FAE weapons can be loaded... :twisted:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
There is also the 23mm version of the same twin-barrel pod, but I prefer the gatling gun for mass strafing runs. :wink:
Ah, you mean the Mi-24VP.
HIND can carry such bombs IIRC :)
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Vympel wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Ah, you mean the Mi-24VP.
HIND can carry such bombs IIRC :)
Heh, I need to update myself on all these Hind models.

But now that I look at my favourite gunships again, why not scrap tradition and use a Ka-50 Black Shark. Couple that with some APCs of varying types and some MBTs (T-90Ks due to speed, no need for armour, even reactive) and you have a blitzkrieg in a week.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Admiral Valdemar wrote: But now that I look at my favourite gunships again, why not scrap tradition and use a Ka-50 Black Shark. Couple that with some APCs of varying types and some MBTs (T-90Ks due to speed, no need for armour, even reactive) and you have a blitzkrieg in a week.
BMP-3s would be good. Many weapons, it has (3x machine guns, 1x 100mm main gun, 1x 30mm cannon). Who needs tanks when the enemy has no AT capability?

Must stop equipment talk.

How do we get to Mordor? Should we go through the Black Gate?
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Vympel wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote: But now that I look at my favourite gunships again, why not scrap tradition and use a Ka-50 Black Shark. Couple that with some APCs of varying types and some MBTs (T-90Ks due to speed, no need for armour, even reactive) and you have a blitzkrieg in a week.
BMP-3s would be good. Many weapons, it has (3x machine guns, 1x 100mm main gun, 1x 30mm cannon). Who needs tanks when the enemy has no AT capability?

Must stop equipment talk.

How do we get to Mordor? Should we go through the Black Gate?
The last thing they'd expect, a charge through the main gates with BTR-80s. The gates could be taken out by FAE deployed by gunships, then once the area has cleared, we could send the APCs in with infantry support, the gunships can scout ahead and watch out for heavy resistance, it may take a while, but Mordor's armies WILL appear and there will be a shitload of them.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Admiral Valdemar wrote: The last thing they'd expect, a charge through the main gates with BTR-80s. The gates could be taken out by FAE deployed by gunships, then once the area has cleared, we could send the APCs in with infantry support, the gunships can scout ahead and watch out for heavy resistance, it may take a while, but Mordor's armies WILL appear and there will be a shitload of them.
I don't know, if we go from the film the Black Gate looked quite sturdy. We'd have to blast it with artillery or use explosives- fuel air explosives wouldn't have the blasting power. Though they'd fry the orcs on the walls pretty good.

It's too bad we don't have vehicles. Anyways, we should just defend the Rohan at Helms Deep. With our superior weapons we can hold off the Uruk-Hai easily- completing our objective.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Oh yeah, what type of chem weapons? Mustard gas is basic, what about VX?
Mustard gas is basic but VX takes a little more than basically a home made lab.

While a grreat many weapons are avalable, basically think of items that don't require too heavy on resources of the modern world.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Vympel wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote: The last thing they'd expect, a charge through the main gates with BTR-80s. The gates could be taken out by FAE deployed by gunships, then once the area has cleared, we could send the APCs in with infantry support, the gunships can scout ahead and watch out for heavy resistance, it may take a while, but Mordor's armies WILL appear and there will be a shitload of them.
I don't know, if we go from the film the Black Gate looked quite sturdy. We'd have to blast it with artillery or use explosives- fuel air explosives wouldn't have the blasting power. Though they'd fry the orcs on the walls pretty good.

It's too bad we don't have vehicles. Anyways, we should just defend the Rohan at Helms Deep. With our superior weapons we can hold off the Uruk-Hai easily- completing our objective.
Well FAEs get most their power from the overpressure wave that makes them also look like nukes, they are the second only to nukes as far as firepower goes.

But maybe huge bombardments from arty or plenty of KE rounds to the gate will weaken it enough to be rammed down.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Helm's Deep is a Cakewalk, Just drag eight of the MG's up, set them on the parpets along with shitload of ammo, Get some Spotlights, Have the Light in the enemies eyes from the get-go

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Logistics, training & moral will be the main problem here.

Logistics: We have to repair & maintain our stuff
and we need to get supplies. I doubt that we have
enough people to do this.

Training: We lack combat experience. Training will
take some time and failtures could end with disasterous
results. This is especially true for the chemical & medical
facilities.

Moral: Lack of combat experience means that we will loose
battles unless we fight defensly all the time. Lost battles =
moral goes to hell. I think we will hide in out fortress after
a few battles.

Best case scenario: We find some trusty allies who'll do the
fighting for us. We are just train/supply their forces.

Worst case scenario: Incompetent leadership & lack of
combat experience gets us kill in a few weeks.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Claymores!

Or whatever homemade version we'd be able to make.

Isn't also helms deep inside a valley surrounded by rock and with one entrance?

If so, let the Orc army in then and blow the entrance with explosives and while you're at it you can make a few man made rock-slides too, then bring in the home made mustard gas.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

*looks at post, discovers it says top 75 from SD...looks at top 75, finds himself in the 80's*

Damn it...
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

His Divine Shadow wrote:Claymores!

If so, let the Orc army in then and blow the entrance with explosives and while you're at it you can make a few man made rock-slides too, then bring in the home made mustard gas.
Have we got NBC protection?

I doubt experience will be that bad, we have members who can teach us and I assume most of us have been in the Scouts or had family in the military to discipline us. Learning the basics of firing should be okay e.g. don't just squeeze the trigger and spray, lead your target, know how to unjam a blockage etc.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I doubt experience will be that bad, we have members who can teach us and I assume most of us have been in the Scouts or had family in the military to discipline us. Learning the basics of firing should be okay e.g. don't just squeeze the trigger and spray, lead your target, know how to unjam a blockage etc.
What. are. you. talking. about?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

His Divine Shadow wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:I doubt experience will be that bad, we have members who can teach us and I assume most of us have been in the Scouts or had family in the military to discipline us. Learning the basics of firing should be okay e.g. don't just squeeze the trigger and spray, lead your target, know how to unjam a blockage etc.
What. are. you. talking. about?
Just nod and walk away.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Captain tycho wrote:
Evil Sadistic Bastard wrote:Well, if we have attack helicopters we could take out the Nazgul and the oliphaunts pretty easily... and the black gates of Mordor could be opened by large quantities of artillery.
I don't think we get choppers.
But if we did, I could fly em. :twisted:
I know how to land an Apache without an engine! (yeah I played a lot of Gunship back in the old days), of course I also know how to fly it, as long as it is equipped with a standard C64 keyboard and joystick :D
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

NecronLord wrote:I know a bit about agriculture...
We could also brew our own beer.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

We are not facing hords of Mecha or shit like that, regular bullets work just fine on them, We are acutal with Helm's Deep in a PERFECT shoot arena, Several small streams that slow down the enemey but don't provided cover before one deep one they have to swim across where we keep Mobile Flame thrower teams handly to sweap the ladders

Hell even the complete idiots amoung us know how to poor buring pitch or methonal onto the enemy then drop matchs or torchs on them

Helm's Deep could easily be held with less than fourty men(Assuming we train the defenders in the use of Pooring burning liquids on anything that gets vaugly close)

Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Ok, here are some observations:

1: I disagree with the prize. Why give commanders a better prize than the normal troops? They aren't even required to be competent, and they'll still get the better prize if we win.

I'd say that triple lifespan/treasure or whatever should be reserved for exceptional courage under the line of fire, or for whatever high honor is achieved among the troops. (not dying in the process might be a prerequisite though), not simply handed out to whoever gets chosen as the highest rank in the military bureaucracy.

2: dammit, now I'll have to make some kind of mod for a RTS game. I wonder if Soldiers of Anarchy is easily moddable, after all it has the same premise - soldiers hide in bunker for 10 years while the world is being consumed by a bio weapon, then get out and start civilizing the natives :)