OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Havok
Miscreant

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Post by Havok »

Wow, I drew that Enterprise like 10 years ago. Pretty lame.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

We have orthos:

I really prefer this color scheme.
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oversized voyager. Especially in the top view, the nacelles seem a bit of an afterthought. The side view looks good, but the front and angle view are very, very bad.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

It sucks balls in comparison to other designs. Like yours Fuzzy.
The double neck is pretty fucking ugly actually. I don't like it.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The double neck also seems such a waste of space. I mean, how big will it have to be to have all those rooms that are there from the windows, and corridors and turbolifts and the goddamn jefferies tubes? They're just aint enough space.

But I'll agree the colour is quite nice.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Boring vanilla design. Good for a background or a high profile support ship, but not for the Enterprise, in any medium.

It would be good in the Excelsior's original role, where it was the toast of the fleet, but the crew hated it.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Well, I for one think it looks awesome. Are there any specs for the ship, like size, weapons, class name?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Class name is "Odyssey". Don't know 'bout the rest.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Captain Spiro wrote:Well, I for one think it looks awesome. Are there any specs for the ship, like size, weapons, class name?
It looks fine. It doesn't look like an Enterprise.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

My main problems are that it doesn't fit in the timeline, and it looks like an abortion. Like Hav said, it would work fine as a background ship, but this is supposed to be the fucking Enterprise.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It looks rather small in the giant orthos. The ship by itself is not imposing.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I don't see the need for an Enterprise to be imposing, but it should have some elegance to it and not be some funky derivative mishmash design.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

It's basically a cross between the Sovereign-class with the Intrepid-class, and that is literally it. I seriously cannot believe anyone signed off on this.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

C'mon. Star Trek, outside ST'09, has been nose diving for years. This is the exact kinda crap you get when you have a franchise that is defunct of any vision or creativity on any level.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I'm more incredulous due to the fact you have guys like FM who put their soul into their design. And they got passed over for this?

Really thank god the franchise has been rebooted, that's all I can say.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Stofsk wrote:It's basically a cross between the Sovereign-class with the Intrepid-class, and that is literally it. I seriously cannot believe anyone signed off on this.
Hey now, give credit where credit is due.

That "neck" is all Oberth-class. So it's a bash of three designs. :D

Oh wait, I just made myself sad... :(
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

Has anyone done a stacked saucer section design? i fiddled around in doga and came up with this

i was going for a conning tower look for the saucer, and trying to make the rest of the ship look solid and beefy.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

More or less.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ok, I may be new here, but I read through this thread and FM's is way better than the new 'Enterprise'. I agree with the general view here, it looks like someone took a Sovereign, stuck on the saucer from the Intrepid, and gave it a double neck. That is something I could draw (not model, I have no software/experience in modeling) and I suck at drawing. Okay so maybe I couldn't actually draw it... but I could think something like that up and give it to someone who could draw. Just goes to show why ST has gone so downhill, just like SW they just got too big for their own good and no one has any original ideas outside the fan community.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Ok, I may be new here, but I read through this thread and FM's is way better than the new 'Enterprise'. I agree with the general view here, it looks like someone took a Sovereign, stuck on the saucer from the Intrepid, and gave it a double neck. That is something I could draw (not model, I have no software/experience in modeling) and I suck at drawing. Okay so maybe I couldn't actually draw it... but I could think something like that up and give it to someone who could draw. Just goes to show why ST has gone so downhill, just like SW they just got too big for their own good and no one has any original ideas outside the fan community.
That's not quite true. There are some good ideas in STO - this just happens to be a whole nice big stinky bunch of BS.
I still hate the double neck. It makes no sense structurally, and it's ugly.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Okay, I have some good news about STO for a change. They are supposed to go free-to-play by the end of the year! I don't know for sure if it's true, but if it is that is very good news.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Okay, I have some good news about STO for a change. They are supposed to go free-to-play by the end of the year! I don't know for sure if it's true, but if it is that is very good news.
I'm more excited about this game coming out.
http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/13/e3-impr ... s-amazing/

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

You know, looking at that design more closely, it is better than some others I have seen. At least it is better than the Galaxy, despite the double neck. I have never liked the E-D, to me it looks like someone took an Independence Day saucer and put the Engineering hull on as an after thought. But that is just my opinion.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:You know, looking at that design more closely, it is better than some others I have seen. At least it is better than the Galaxy, despite the double neck. I have never liked the E-D, to me it looks like someone took an Independence Day saucer and put the Engineering hull on as an after thought. But that is just my opinion.
Well, considering The Next Generation started, oooh, 9 years before Independence Day came out, I'd say that was crap. Plus, the E-D is a gorgeous ship, thanking you.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)