OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Post by General Zod »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:It's very low poly at the moment, but here is the 3D version of the paper sketch above:
What software are you using for that? I'm poking around for some decent CAD substitutes right now for this but sadly I'm not having much luck.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

General Zod wrote: What software are you using for that? I'm poking around for some decent CAD substitutes right now for this but sadly I'm not having much luck.
That´s Maya but it´s not a CAD software.
CSJM
Padawan Learner

Post by CSJM »

Who does videogame models in CAD software, anyway? I thought there are usual 3D modelling packages for that.

My envisioning of a new Enterprise would be a lot like an upside-down Akira class with slight repositioning of features.
Controller Sean 'Jaguar' Mirrsen
Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Grand Master RtD GM.
GM of Multiworld Madness, a Roll to Dodge epic.
GM of Space Whaler Escape!, a Roll to Dodge survival/skirmish.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I don't play the game, STO, so question: what era is it in? Is this going to be a Kirk Enterprise, or a Picard Enterprise, or between the two, or after? There are, or should be, a lot of style differences between the eras.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
CSJM
Padawan Learner

Post by CSJM »

Considering they need a 'new' Enterprise, they likely want a model for a successor of Enterprise-E. Something in the F-H-I line, because the design for J is already known (even if that was an alternate future). All earlier models are already established in canon.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I am just curious to see what a starship the "size of a starbase" is goign to eventually look like.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Oh, wait, what about attaching the nacelles in a downward configuration Miranda-class style? I've always been a fan of those. It makes the design look more compact and menacing without losing that "Yo, we're totally peaceful and sciencey" asthetic.

EDIT -

OH MAN! integrate the deflector into the front of the saucer section! that always looks pretty rad.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:I am just curious to see what a starship the "size of a starbase" is goign to eventually look like.
Something like this

Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Ummmm...did that starship just fart and light it?

EDIT____________

Caption: The USS Destiny vents her waste holding tanks. Ensign Michaels thought it might be funny to strike a match just prior.

He is expected to make a full recovery.
Last edited by Chardok on 2010-11-26 02:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

The Excalibur Class has exhaust issues. :D
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

CSJM wrote:Who does videogame models in CAD software, anyway? I thought there are usual 3D modelling packages for that.

My envisioning of a new Enterprise would be a lot like an upside-down Akira class with slight repositioning of features.
Since they haven't specified what format they're taking submissions in, I'd assume you don't need specialized software. Right now CAD is what I'm most familiar with. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

My assumption is that they simply need an image showing 6 orthographics. They would want to do the modeling themselves.
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:My assumption is that they simply need an image showing 6 orthographics. They would want to do the modeling themselves.
Since they haven't given any standards I wouldn't even assume that much. 6 seems a bit excessive though.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

General Zod wrote:
Fuzzy_Modem wrote:My assumption is that they simply need an image showing 6 orthographics. They would want to do the modeling themselves.
Since they haven't given any standards I wouldn't even assume that much. 6 seems a bit excessive though.
Top, Bottom, (Left, Right,) Front, Back.

You could get by with 5, providing it's a symmetrical design (which it ought to be.)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Top, Bottom, (Left, Right,) Front, Back.

You could get by with 5, providing it's a symmetrical design (which it ought to be.)
You only need three sides for orthographic projection. Front, Top, and the Right Side. The bottom might be necessary if you really want to show off the extra detail, but anything more than 4 is excessive for a symmetrical design.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

General Zod wrote: You only need three sides for orthographic projection. Front, Top, and the Right Side. The bottom might be necessary if you really want to show off the extra detail, but anything more than 4 is excessive for a symmetrical design.
Where are you planning on getting reference for the deflector dish and shuttle bays, not to mention the entire underside? No, you need the front back and bottom too.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:
General Zod wrote: You only need three sides for orthographic projection. Front, Top, and the Right Side. The bottom might be necessary if you really want to show off the extra detail, but anything more than 4 is excessive for a symmetrical design.
Where are you planning on getting reference for the deflector dish and shuttle bays, not to mention the entire underside? No, you need the front back and bottom too.
Then an orthographic projection isn't really suitable, since the whole point is to show everything with three sides. Or you make separate drawings detailing the extra bits that won't fit. But since they haven't released any guidelines it's a bit pointless to argue over.
CSJM
Padawan Learner

Post by CSJM »

I believe it'll be the same as, or similar to, the EVE Online starship design contest, which explicitly requires 6 views of the design, from all sides, plus any other views and angles you wish to provide.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

General Zod wrote:Then an orthographic projection isn't really suitable, since the whole point is to show everything with three sides. Or you make separate drawings detailing the extra bits that won't fit. But since they haven't released any guidelines it's a bit pointless to argue over.
Orthographic just means that the projected views are orthogonal to one another, as in the planes forming a 3-dimensional box. FRLBUD are all orthographic views.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:I am just curious to see what a starship the "size of a starbase" is going to eventually look like.
Something like this
I've seen that ship before but never knew how big it is...
How big is it?

Some quick Google searches on "Excalibur Class" bring up some ST-EU websites but all it says is that its a "long range battleship" dammit man! Where are my facts figures and calcs?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

It isn't a "real" ship, just like the Century Class.

The Excalibur is a big as a D'deridex Class though, but since it isn't full of holes, it's far more massive. So it's about the size a small starbase.

If you mean the giant starbase at Earth, you'd need a cube for that.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Another doodle:

And another low poly model revision:

[edit]
Minor progress:

None of these objects will make it into the first real draft btw. I'm just trying to establish shapes, curves and proportions before I actually get started.
Last edited by Fuzzy_Modem on 2010-11-27 04:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

It occurs to me that being forced (should a bridge officer desire) to go all the way down through the saucer, into the engineering hull, then up the pylons to reach the nacelles is pretty stupid. can you attach a support strut that attaches...the....front of the nacelles to the saucer section somehow without making it look stupid?
CSJM
Padawan Learner

Post by CSJM »

Not that I mind, but isn't posting sketches for a public contest entry on a forum a little... well, self-defeating?
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

CSJM wrote:Not that I mind, but isn't posting sketches for a public contest entry on a forum a little... well, self-defeating?
Don't follow. Do you mean I may get ripped off? Seems unlikely.