Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Nope, still don't care :)
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

is now come full circle
Bullets always have the right of away
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2019-02-10 09:53pm Nope, still don't care :)
How are they able to legally rip you off anyway? They didn't design the textures for that ship so I don't see how they can lay claim to those.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

They can't legally rip me off. I mean they clearly took parts of renders and used them as the basis for paint overs or whatever. I don't care about this from any kind of commercial or ethical standpoint. What I'm annoyed at is that they took my basic ideas, did a worse version, and now someone is implying I should modify my original idea to match a shitty remake. Does that clarify things?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I wasn't implying that you should, just inquiring as to whether or not you would. After all, this design is based on one that originated in Dark Empire, no?
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-02-11 10:56amI wasn't implying that you should, just inquiring as to whether or not you would. After all, this design is based on one that originated in Dark Empire, no?
If you can call an indistinct blob "originated".
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Indeed, although many of the old comic designs were either ugly or vague until fractal gave them makeovers.
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Post by Weedle McHairybug »

Say, Fractal, I saw your blog post, and definitely a darn shame that the guy who wrote the book plagiarized your artwork of the Star Destroyer, Lambda shuttle, and the Assertor (and with the latter erroneously referred to it as the Executor, meaning they didn't even bother to get the Executor right). Not to mention Disney doing that. That was low (well, not as low as the Sequel Trilogy or Jon Kasdan deciding to randomly turn Lando Calrissian into a pansexual, but still pretty low).

http://fractalsponge.net/?p=4224

You might want to do something about that kind of theft, and this is speaking as someone who's read the book as well (as far as my two cents regarding the book, even before I formally defected to the Empire so to speak, Leia's comments about not tolerating dissenting views indicating weakness rubbed me the wrong way, perhaps due to recent events at that time, and besides, I kind of find it funny that the Empire based on its mention of tolerating corporate competition and even creating/expanding the Corporate Sector specifically to allow for "transparent mercantilism" was effectively composed of fans of Adam Smith, and that's in spite of it technically being an authoritarian regime.).
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Weedle McHairybug wrote: 2019-02-16 07:41pm Say, Fractal, I saw your blog post, and definitely a darn shame that the guy who wrote the book plagiarized your artwork of the Star Destroyer, Lambda shuttle, and the Assertor (and with the latter erroneously referred to it as the Executor, meaning they didn't even bother to get the Executor right). Not to mention Disney doing that. That was low (well, not as low as the Sequel Trilogy or Jon Kasdan deciding to randomly turn Lando Calrissian into a pansexual, but still pretty low).

You might want to do something about that kind of theft, and this is speaking as someone who's read the book as well (as far as my two cents regarding the book, even before I formally defected to the Empire so to speak, Leia's comments about not tolerating dissenting views indicating weakness rubbed me the wrong way, perhaps due to recent events at that time, and besides, I kind of find it funny that the Empire based on its mention of tolerating corporate competition and even creating/expanding the Corporate Sector specifically to allow for "transparent mercantilism" was effectively composed of fans of Adam Smith, and that's in spite of it technically being an authoritarian regime.).
Not to speak for him, but basically, he's already playing with an IP that he doesn't own; he only got actual permission to do some work for it a few times. The rest is just indulgence by the IP holder, and he has no legal right to kick shins about it IIRC is pretty much what he said awhile ago. So as such I don't think there's really anything he can do about people ripping off his artwork other than complain to Disney.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-02-17 01:40am
Weedle McHairybug wrote: 2019-02-16 07:41pm Say, Fractal, I saw your blog post, and definitely a darn shame that the guy who wrote the book plagiarized your artwork of the Star Destroyer, Lambda shuttle, and the Assertor (and with the latter erroneously referred to it as the Executor, meaning they didn't even bother to get the Executor right). Not to mention Disney doing that. That was low (well, not as low as the Sequel Trilogy or Jon Kasdan deciding to randomly turn Lando Calrissian into a pansexual, but still pretty low).

Not to speak for him, but basically, he's already playing with an IP that he doesn't own; he only got actual permission to do some work for it a few times. The rest is just indulgence by the IP holder, and he has no legal right to kick shins about it IIRC is pretty much what he said awhile ago. So as such I don't think there's really anything he can do about people ripping off his artwork other than complain to Disney.
True regarding the Star Destroyer and/or Lambda renders, but the Assertor was in fact created by him, so...
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Weedle McHairybug wrote: 2019-02-17 06:31am True regarding the Star Destroyer and/or Lambda renders, but the Assertor was in fact created by him, so...
Legally however it's explicitly obvious that it's part of the Star Wars universe, and as such there are major questions. I can't recall if the Assertor was depicted in the now-Legends Essential Guide to Warfare book, but Disney does own the rights to that material. Anything that's original work by fractal could in theory fall under fair use, IE, he can play with the universe as long as he doesn't attempt to make a profit from it.

But that's the extent of my commentary; I am not a lawyer, and I shouldn't speak for fractal, who given his history of actual work and interaction with the IP holder is probably better informed as to the extent of his rights in this area.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-02-18 04:30pmI can't recall if the Assertor was depicted in the now-Legends Essential Guide to Warfare book
It was
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

WIP #3 is up
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

In case any of you haven't seen this yet...

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

PhoenixKnig wrote: 2019-03-01 06:20pm WIP #3 is up
And it looks good. I'm looking forward to the completed images.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Yeah, can you clarify? I don't see WIP #3 on Fractalsponge's site. WIP #2, yes, but not WIP #3.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Weedle McHairybug wrote: 2019-03-06 07:01am
Yeah, can you clarify? I don't see WIP #3 on Fractalsponge's site. WIP #2, yes, but not WIP #3.
On ArtStation.com -- he tends to post up there before posting it elsewhere.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Hmm... don't see it on artstation either. Maybe he meant WIP #2?
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Weedle McHairybug wrote: 2019-03-06 02:58pm Hmm... don't see it on artstation either. Maybe he meant WIP #2?
It *was* up. Maybe he took it down because he wasn't satisfied and wanted to do some extra work.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

In the first two picks of that series, that ball turret has some severe cutouts that makes it sort if inappropriate to use it there.

I have to give it to your for your detail, that hull looks alive.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Superstructure and gun battery details. All the turrets in that main flank battery can fire ahead.

Quad 240-teraton turrets in the flanking batteries, twin 720s on the centerline with the best arcs. Probably going to dispense with the ISD2-weight octuples largely except as the top end of an anti-frigate battery (ISD2 octuple:MTL as 720:240)

PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

WIP 5 is up and looking great
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

More updates, and filmic color correction profiles with much help from Howie Day and Angelos Karderinis!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L2rDbk
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PmqBRr