Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:I'll admit the bridge supports also look a little... Wired..I would just extend the 'structure' of the bridge out under them.
Would wood the sensor cluster. Plus I like them, so no.

Some perspective:
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

Integral wings work well
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I thickened the missile hatches by 1m. Additions/modifications to internal area.

evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

Curious on your thoughts off how this would eventually turn into the Vic star II? Key differences I can remember would be the move from two Primary engines to three, removal of the concussion missile tubes, bigger turbolasers and added ion canons
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

evillejedi wrote:Curious on your thoughts off how this would eventually turn into the Vic star II? Key differences I can remember would be the move from two Primary engines to three, removal of the concussion missile tubes, bigger turbolasers and added ion canons
First guess would be that VicI to VicII was largely a propulsion upgrade - attempting to get a design for positional (and attritional) warfare upgraded to serve more varied tasks than as wolfpacks in slugfest-type fleet action. So go from 2 big main engines to 3 smaller ones, and that involves internal rearrangement that costs the missile magazines volume-wise (engine/reactor plant widens). Remove the armor and local shield generators associated with the missiles, and that's a boost to acceleration. There's no compensating properly with beam weapons for the firepower lost with the missiles (sort of the whole point of the missiles to begin with was to provide disproportionate firepower relative to a beam weapon fit on the same weight), so I imagine the gun fit is not too much different. I plan for a Venator-comparable main battery even for the VicI.

In the upgrade, the missile complexes get replaced by engines and subsidiary reactor internally, and externally by a small brim notch that holds a ball ion mount on each side.

Just a wild-ass guess - VicI at 2500g, VicII 3200g. Firepower greatly in favor of VicI until missiles run out, then VicII has a ~10% firepower advantage.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Slightly modifying the old saying, after a lean pope, a fat pope (after the Indictor). And it doesn't get much fatter than an Imperial Star Manate...er, Galleon, the armed military transport. I'm taking from a couple different sources - it's a lot fatter than some, but not quite as wide as the Star Wars Rebellion version. Carrying capacity is pretty enormous despite its relatively small (~315m) size - depending on internal configuration 100+ AT-ATs.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Getting a bit better, but the intrinsic boringness of the shape is getting to me a bit...

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

fractalsponge1 wrote:Getting a bit better, but the intrinsic boringness of the shape is getting to me a bit...
I feel for you on that end... Sooooo many ships, especially ones designed 80's and 90's for the RPG's that came out. A heap of ugly boxes ;P
Personally What you have done to this one thus far is commendable. I REALLY find myself liking the recessed turrets you have installed,
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

A space-cow is a space-cow. But as Han Solo said: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Main battery up:
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Are the light turrets retractable?
or did you just delete them in the last picture?
Very much like the look of the guns, Keeping the same turret style as the Venators looks good.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

They look good but positioning wise... aren't they going to have a restricted field of fire from the missile flaps? Is it an either/or thing on missles and lasers.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote:They look good but positioning wise... aren't they going to have a restricted field of fire from the missile flaps? Is it an either/or thing on missles and lasers.
It depends on weather they are spaced to shoot over one another facing forward...
It looks they kinda might be, if so, you could raise the missile flaps, and still fire all guns forward at a single target.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:They look good but positioning wise... aren't they going to have a restricted field of fire from the missile flaps? Is it an either/or thing on missles and lasers.
It depends on weather they are spaced to shoot over one another facing forward...
It looks they kinda might be, if so, you could raise the missile flaps, and still fire all guns forward at a single target.

That's a good point or just tilt the side facing the enemy 'down' if you're going broadside, you don't need to point missile tubes directly at an opponent.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Like your Star Galleon. How about a Star Galleas? :D
fractalsponge1 wrote:Main battery up:
Huh, only three turrets?
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Star Wars Armada artwork does seem to indicate four heavy turrets per side...but I'll leave the details up to Ansel. He knows what he's doing.
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Post by Weedle McHairybug »

Just so everyone's aware, FractalSponge has just finished up and released the Imperial Probe Ship.

http://fractalsponge.net/?p=1862
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Thought a name you could give that probe droid...

"Cognitio-class"
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

A mid-late OT replacement for the Carrack. I have a soft spot for the Carrack, but I just can't quite take the shape seriously. But I figure the Carrack's slot in the fleet order of battle is a very useful one, so I wanted a replacement with a more Imperial, and less phallic, aesthetic.

This is ~320m long, almost the same volume as a Carrack. Armament will be 12+ MTL and light guns. Very fast, and unlike the Carrack will likely have a small hangar for small shuttles/flight-squadron of light fighters.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

EMERGERD! Your doing the Carrack!
(fanboy squeals)
First the Dreadnought, then the VicStar and now the Carrack!
It's like my all my dreams are coming true!

The Carrack and Dreadnought have always been two of my favorite EU ships, mostly I think BECAUSE they are so "ugly" and, well shaped like bricks.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:EMERGERD! Your doing the Carrack!
(fanboy squeals)
First the Dreadnought, then the VicStar and now the Carrack!
It's like my all my dreams are coming true!

The Carrack and Dreadnought have always been two of my favorite EU ships, mostly I think BECAUSE they are so "ugly" and, well shaped like bricks.
I like the Carrack, because it saved my butt in SW Rebellion a lot. But I did the mockup and it just looks so much like a sex toy from some angles that I can't take it seriously. I open the file once every few months and I just can't do it. I don't know if I can save it.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Awww, It's not THAT bad...
Eh... Well. Maybe..
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

An excerpt from Wookiepedia concerning the Carrack-class Light Cruiser.
"Two weapon configurations were known for this class: one with ten heavy turbolasers, twenty laser cannons designed to defend against starfighters and missiles, and five tractor beam projectors, and an alternative version which replaced the flak lasers with ion cannons."
fractalsponge1 wrote:This is ~320m long, almost the same volume as a Carrack. Armament will be 12+ MTL and light guns. Very fast, and unlike the Carrack will likely have a small hangar for small shuttles/flight-squadron of light fighters.
Just MTL's seem to be fairly low, compared to what the older model was capable of. Might we see you create more than a single configuration for this new class?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus wrote:An excerpt from Wookiepedia concerning the Carrack-class Light Cruiser.
"Two weapon configurations were known for this class: one with ten heavy turbolasers, twenty laser cannons designed to defend against starfighters and missiles, and five tractor beam projectors, and an alternative version which replaced the flak lasers with ion cannons."
fractalsponge1 wrote:This is ~320m long, almost the same volume as a Carrack. Armament will be 12+ MTL and light guns. Very fast, and unlike the Carrack will likely have a small hangar for small shuttles/flight-squadron of light fighters.
Just MTL's seem to be fairly low, compared to what the older model was capable of. Might we see you create more than a single configuration for this new class?
Carrack supposedly has 10 "heavy" turbolasers - but there's no way those are real HTL, not on a ship 300m long. So, they're likely MTL, just "heavy" for something heavy corvette sized.