An SDNW Proposal

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: An SDNW Proposal

Post by Steve »

I don't particularly care for this argument because the same rules apply. "Don't be a douche". That means no wanking, no claiming "my uber cyborgs of doom are unhackable!" or "my troops can hack any cyborg or robot unit on the battlefield with no problems".
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Again, it does all depend on cost:gain ratio, folks. How much are you willing to spend on your ground pounders? An extra thousand? Ten? Because being completely safe from hacking should be VERY expensive for balance reasons, just like being perfectly NBC proofed rather than just adequately should cost more.

The same goes for the other side here. How much is worth it? This time it may not be reflected in an actual budget, but it's still one to consider from an IC standpoint - is it worth spending several million dollars to hijack one killbot? What about ten? Twenty? You get the idea.

Alternatively I put it forth that all killbots should be immune to hacking but have a decisive weakness! A pre-determined kill limit. Reach it and... "I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their pre-determined kill limit and shut down. Kif! Show them the medal I won!"
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Kuroji wrote:So you're completely ignoring the possibility that, you know, maybe they aren't designed to use networks. Fine. But is your dart going to always impact at the right location to access a data bus as opposed to something that just tells an arm to move? Or are you just going to overcome that by pumping more voltage into this dart with the remote AI hacking through it? And are you really going to be able to get enough bandwidth for this AI to hack outside of a controlled environment?

It's not a bad idea in certain aspects but as a battlefield weapon it screams wank, it really does. And that's how it sounded when it was initially proposed.
Alright, I will answer this point as directly as possible.

1. It is patently impossible that you have no damn network, or no circuitry whatsoever, be it photonic, or electronic, RF or whatever.
2. Don't give me crap about quantum networks, because there has to be a medium for the entanglement to occur.
3. Even a damn arm must be able to receive instructions from somewhere, so I have no damn clue what you are even yabbering about. And even an arm must have some connections to do work.
4. And who says the darts are simply darts? I can have them carry a multitude of things. And obviously the darts have to be aimed at the right general location for them to work.
5. And if it's a bioneural network, then I wouldn't even bother with darts. I'd use a bullet with ricin or something.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Just a quick note to say that I've added in the Altacar Empire's Wiki page + info on its main ESPer body, the Institute for Neurological Research. More to come later :) .

Edit: Okay I've updated the Altacar Empire's page - see its category for its fleet OOB & its ESPer organisation. In addition, and to make things a lot easier on the foreign relations front, I'd like it if players could please go to the FOREIGN RELATIONS section and add in their nation & relationship to the Altacar Empire. Obviously feel free to PM me or something if you feel some discussion beforehand is merited - I'm always open to secret treaties, hidden clauses and so on.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to check the "Shipbuilding" section. The Office of Shipbuilding is taking orders for those nations who'd like to take advantage of our highly efficient shipyards :D .
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Kuroji wrote:So you're completely ignoring the possibility that, you know, maybe they aren't designed to use networks. Fine. But is your dart going to always impact at the right location to access a data bus as opposed to something that just tells an arm to move? Or are you just going to overcome that by pumping more voltage into this dart with the remote AI hacking through it? And are you really going to be able to get enough bandwidth for this AI to hack outside of a controlled environment?

It's not a bad idea in certain aspects but as a battlefield weapon it screams wank, it really does. And that's how it sounded when it was initially proposed.
Alright, I will answer this point as directly as possible.

1. It is patently impossible that you have no damn network, or no circuitry whatsoever, be it photonic, or electronic, RF or whatever.
2. Don't give me crap about quantum networks, because there has to be a medium for the entanglement to occur.
3. Even a damn arm must be able to receive instructions from somewhere, so I have no damn clue what you are even yabbering about. And even an arm must have some connections to do work.
4. And who says the darts are simply darts? I can have them carry a multitude of things. And obviously the darts have to be aimed at the right general location for them to work.
5. And if it's a bioneural network, then I wouldn't even bother with darts. I'd use a bullet with ricin or something.
If it used some form of quantum entanglement then your target area just became vastly smaller for each area as there is no physical connection, this however would only work for an inorganic system or when where an organic host operates a body remotely.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Teleros wrote:Just a quick note to say that I've added in the Altacar Empire's Wiki page + info on its main ESPer body, the Institute for Neurological Research. More to come later :) .
I especially liked the Yes, Minister reference with respect to your Civil Service :D.
Norade wrote:If it used some form of quantum entanglement then your target area just became vastly smaller for each area as there is no physical connection, this however would only work for an inorganic system or when where an organic host operates a body remotely.
For god's sake can we please cease discussing this irrelevant tangent and move on to more interesting subjects?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I would very much prefer it if they did....
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Norade wrote:If it used some form of quantum entanglement then your target area just became vastly smaller for each area as there is no physical connection, this however would only work for an inorganic system or when where an organic host operates a body remotely.
It doesn't change the fact that you need tonnes of optical fibers to collect light from atoms acting as Quantum memory.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Post by Kuroji »

I'm just going :banghead: and moving on. The point I was trying to put across was that if you're on a battlefield it doesn't work and off of it it's still impractical except in very specialized situations... but odds are it won't ever come up anyway.
Steel, on nBSG's finale: "I'd liken it to having a really great time with these girls, you go back to their place, think its going to get even better- suddenly there are dicks everywhere and you realise you were in a ladyboy bar all evening."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Now watch; these guys will end up being our first PvP. ( :wink: )
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Question, when we talk about army kits, do we include armored vehicles and such?
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

I would imagine we do.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Question, when we talk about army kits, do we include armored vehicles and such?
Yeah. The kit covers all forms of ground troop equipment - the higher the multiplier you assign, the better the quality of the kit, with x2 multiplier being baseline "Regular"-quality equipment (As in "modern" stuff for mechanized/armored divisions) and x3 being baseline kit for Elite units (representing specialized equipment best used by those with Elite-level training).

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Minor heads-up; I'll be in Austria for the next three or four days, and as such mostly out of touch. The game won't be starting anytime soon yet so I doubt it'll be an issue, but just so ya know...
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Given the recent paucity of posts I doubt you'll miss much.

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Added Outlander ESPer shit to the wiki.

For some quantification, the Mari can really only sense strong emotions, whatever they may be. Happiest you've ever been? They can tell, and they'll hang around a bit to mooch off you. Anything less? They might be able to work out the feeling if they stop and think for a few minutes. Angmarid-E's tend to have only prophetic and telepathic capacity, but as noted, they're stuck to fucking with other Angmarids. One in every hundred thousand E's might be able to work at an extremely low level capacity with other sentients. The real majority of 'useful' psionicists are Arayna, Immin, and a few minor species.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

*adds various ESPers to the list next to Chamarrans*

What an interesting galaxy we live in...

*goes off towards the experiment holding cells*
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Siege wrote:I especially liked the Yes, Minister reference with respect to your Civil Service :D .
Best two comedy series ever, how could I not mention them :D ?
PeZook wrote:*goes off towards the experiment holding cells*
Just noticed this, and added a brief bit about anti-ESPer "null fields" in the ESPer section of the wiki. What else... the Altacar Empire's flag is up... okay actually it's my Terran Alliance flag, but it'll do for this :P .

I'm also thinking of doing a big colour-coded table for all the foreign relations, for easy at-a-glance information, which people can then update etc as necessary.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Teleros wrote: Just noticed this, and added a brief bit about anti-ESPer "null fields" in the ESPer section of the wiki.
Ah, a most interesting technology! I can see our questionably moral relationship will be fruitful :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Teleros wrote: Just noticed this, and added a brief bit about anti-ESPer "null fields" in the ESPer section of the wiki.
Added the Chamarran equivalent in the same section of the wiki.
Also added the Chamarran paranoia in as our stance regarding psychers, same page.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

PeZook wrote:Ah, a most interesting technology! I can see our questionably moral relationship will be fruitful :D
Hey, these things are on the open market :) .

In other news, I've done a lovely pretty picture for all our foreign relations. It's only a rough guide obviously and needs some filling in (eg Bluewolf & Lord Oskuro need nations), but should be useful for quick & easy references. It's on the Wiki on the "List of PCs" page, so please feel free to colour in:

http://worldsofsdn.wikia.com/wiki/File: ... _Chart.PNG

I can also send anyone who needs it the Excel file I used to make it (Office 2003 .xls).
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Teleros wrote: Hey, these things are on the open market :) .
The commercial versions are probably on the open market, yeah :D
Teleros wrote:In other news, I've done a lovely pretty picture for all our foreign relations. It's only a rough guide obviously and needs some filling in (eg Bluewolf & Lord Oskuro need nations), but should be useful for quick & easy references. It's on the Wiki on the "List of PCs" page, so please feel free to colour in:
Aw, and here I was, thinking it would be a guy shaking hands with Unit 7 while smiling awkwardly :P

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

It seems we'll have quite a few ESPers of various kinds runing around. Be warned though, such individuals will atract the attention of the Swarm. They can be quite useful to us... :D
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

A note on foreign relations: the Ascendancy perfectly willing to trade with anyone willing... except for the goddamn soulsucking alien bugfiends of the Swarm.

Sorry, Shady, but I need to have at least one potential enemy to justify military expenditures without being close enough to actually fight all the time. :D
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Master_Baerne wrote:A note on foreign relations: the Ascendancy perfectly willing to trade with anyone willing... except for the goddamn soulsucking alien bugfiends of the Swarm.

Sorry, Shady, but I need to have at least one potential enemy to justify military expenditures without being close enough to actually fight all the time. :D
Have you selected which sectors you want?