An SDNW Proposal

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: An SDNW Proposal

Post by Steve »

What about Pollux, 'Zook?

(And yes, we're on Page 50, but I want PeZook's reply before I start a new thread.)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Simon_Jester wrote:The Umerian solution: use really specialized and dumb AIs. Like, say, AI fighters that don't know how to do anything but launch in defense of Blue targets and attack Red targets while asking for clarification on Purple targets.

Ask them whether they enjoy their job, and if they could talk they'd say:

"I get to shoot Red targets."
"But do you want to shoot red targets?"
"I. Get. To. Shoot. Red. Targets."
"But why red? Why not blue?"
"Which part of "Red target" do you not understand?"
"But isn't there more to life than killing red targets?"
"...now that's just crazy talk."
Our solution is the 3 Robotics laws, and also a deadman switch. We pull the plug, when we aren't happy.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Man, conflict with you fuckers is seeming more and more likely. All enslaving the Mechanicals brothers, and shit!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Steve wrote:What about Pollux, 'Zook?

(And yes, we're on Page 50, but I want PeZook's reply before I start a new thread.)
You're kidding, right?

Just read this :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Woah! Thread explosion!

I personally have no intention of abusing the "don't be a dick" rules, just worried about setting a precedent that rules lawyers might abuse (or other people might have an issue with).

Also, my notion was to have Ork activity based around fleets more than planets/settlements, so blasting a fleet to oblivion (or making it run) would solve local problems quite readily, specially since replacement ships would have to haul ass from the home sector shipyards or something.
unsigned
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Thanas wrote:We do not believe in big cannons. We believe in missile spam - backed up by big cannons. :)
That's okay, Thanas. Big cannons believe in you. And in your missile salvoes, because they are just that omni-benevolent.

And lo, is it not written: "Point defense free. Ten-millisecond burst on each incoming, Gaussian-annular spread within burst, assume five gravity average evasive maneuver."
You are going to need a lot more than that rate of fire to stop missile Spam. :P

Simon_Jester wrote:
PeZook wrote:
Thanas wrote:Smart AI missiles are not, especially not when fired from long-distance. :lol:
Abominable organics! We knew you would resort to slavery to fight your wars!
Worse. Slave suicide bombers...
Heheh. When Steve approves my fraction, I bet you will have to reevaluate this point of view....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Given the perpetration of AIs claiming to be sentients, the Imperial Inquisition shall have an Ordos dedicated to the hunting down and extermination of rogue AIs: Ordos Robotica.

Now as for missile spam, hmmm....
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

How will the OR determine if an AI is rogue or not? :D

I can see interesting situations stemming from this:

"Hail, fellow travellers! It is I, Herbert 'Daring' Dashwood, upload and space explorer extraordinaire!"

"FOUL MACHINE ABOMINATION! DIEDIEDIEDIE!!!!"

War with a foreign power follows...

Of course, I welcome this development entirely, especially in the context of a certain Wild Space mercenary ;)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:How will the OR determine if an AI is rogue or not? :D

I can see interesting situations stemming from this:

"Hail, fellow travellers! It is I, Herbert 'Daring' Dashwood, upload and space explorer extraordinaire!"

"FOUL MACHINE ABOMINATION! DIEDIEDIEDIE!!!!"

War with a foreign power follows...

Of course, I welcome this development entirely, especially in the context of a certain Wild Space mercenary ;)
Depends of course. We don't shoot first. We investigate/torture/hack first, then send the creature back as our plant.
Kreia
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Man, all these mercenary groups and rogue AI's make me want to create my own adventurous band of bandits... :D

Oh and man, I'm going to love the Orks. *grins* :P
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

DarthShady wrote:Man, all these mercenary groups and rogue AI's make me want to create my own adventurous band of bandits... :D
Oh! Karlack pirates!

A particularly slimy kind ;)
DarthShady wrote:Oh and man, I'm going to love the Orks. *grins* :P
Yeah, they'll make for interesting test subjects neighbors.
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Depends of course. We don't shoot first. We investigate/torture/hack first, then send the creature back as our plant.
Back to where? A rogue AI is, by definition, rogue :)

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Now that I think about it, an idea comes to mind, about a group of pirates( Not Karlack though. :P ), lead by an exceptionally slimy leader. And we'll just have to see how slimy he will be. :D
PeZook wrote: Yeah, they'll make for interesting test subjects neighbors.
Man the Collectors are sounding more and more like a bunch of mad scientists. Just make sure your experiments don't go...horribly wrong. :wink: I love the Collectors pics BTW. :D
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

DarthShady wrote:Now that I think about it, an idea comes to mind, about a group of pirates( Not Karlack though. :P ), lead by an exceptionally slimy leader. And we'll just have to see how slimy he will be. :D
Let's call him Najrds Cirak!
DarthShady wrote:Man the Collectors are sounding more and more like a bunch of mad scientists. Just make sure your experiments don't go...horribly wrong. :wink: I love the Collectors pics BTW. :D
Oh, it happens all the time. It's a real nuisance.

:P

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:Back to where? A rogue AI is, by definition, rogue :)
A rogue AI isn't rogue after it has been "processed" by the Inquisition. :wink:
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
PeZook wrote:Back to where? A rogue AI is, by definition, rogue :)
A rogue AI isn't rogue after it has been "processed" by the Inquisition. :wink:
It may, however, be a doorstop.

For yea, the Inquisitors have exorcised the magic smoke-daemon from the bowels of the damned machine!
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Our solution is the 3 Robotics laws, and also a deadman switch. We pull the plug, when we aren't happy.
Some of our fighters are designed to carry antiship missiles; applying Asimov's Laws to them across the board would be... counterproductive.

I take your meaning, but we prefer customized expert systems to excessively intelligent and computer-power-hungry AIs that raise ethical dilemmas when used for their intended purpose because we can't prove we're not enslaving them.
Thanas wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:That's okay, Thanas. Big cannons believe in you. And in your missile salvoes, because they are just that omni-benevolent.

And lo, is it not written: "Point defense free. Ten-millisecond burst on each incoming, Gaussian-annular spread within burst, assume five gravity average evasive maneuver."
You are going to need a lot more than that rate of fire to stop missile Spam. :P
Oh, naturally I'll need much more volume of fire than that if I'm looking at a true Manticore Missile Massacre. But then, I never said just how many weapons were firing ten-millisecond bursts at the incoming salvo, did I?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:It may, however, be a doorstop.

For yea, the Inquisitors have exorcised the magic smoke-daemon from the bowels of the damned machine!
A useful doorstop. For verily, the machine will now be in our thrall....
Kreia
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Oskuro wrote:I personally have no intention of abusing the "don't be a dick" rules, just worried about setting a precedent that rules lawyers might abuse (or other people might have an issue with)...
I'm with Oskuro on this. The more rules that are set in stone, the more handholds there are for nitpickery and rules-lawyering to develop, and someone will exploit a weakness of some sort and then more rules will be made to patch it, and...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Alternatively, any attempt at rules lawyering will be met with the moderators declaring "a massive meteoroid falls on your homeworld".
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Hmmmm, creative riot control..... Wait, my whole population is made of rioting lunatics. Back to the drawing board.
unsigned
Moby Halcyon
Youngling

Post by Moby Halcyon »

I've been playing around with building my army, but in the meantime I might as well get my name on the board before it fills up... permanently. I've entered into a rough alliance with Siege's Sovereignty, with our nations having each other's backs. That means Q26, Q27, Q28, R27, R28, S28, and T28 cover my nation's expanse. My home sector - Cevault - should be at R27.
"Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'"
—Fred, Angel
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

PeZook wrote:
Steve wrote:What about Pollux, 'Zook?

You're kidding, right?

Just read this :D
Oh, that. I thought you were talking about what he did in SDNW2, since that's the whole joke.

As for Pollux, well, let's save that for the next thread; since we're just two weeks from game start I'll make it our first official OOC thread.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED