SDN World 3 Construction Queue Discussion

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Re: SDN World 3 Construction Queue Discussion

Post by Coyote »

Siege wrote:For the love of God, what is it about this game that instils this obsessive need to quantify and regulate everything?
Think about the culture of discussion at SDnet, where the ability to quantify is so pivotal, and think about that question. It is habitual for many people to automatically seek solid, measurable quantification for things, especially if engaged in a 'game' that will involve conquest & dominance. :wink:

...here we are trying to quantify everything from slipway tonnage down to troop maintenance costs, the number of IBPs per kilometer of railway, the number of logistics personnel per division..
To be fair, that was my suggestion, not Steve's. I offered it as a possible way to impose a standard, uniform measure of spending if we wanted to go that far. I agree that we need as few rules as possible; my concern was that if we went down the path of heavy regulation then I wanted it to be as simple and as uniform as possible.

But I agree, I'd prefer to avoid it entirely and rely more on RP'ing.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Coyote wrote:Think about the culture of discussion at SDnet, where the ability to quantify is so pivotal, and think about that question. It is habitual for many people to automatically seek solid, measurable quantification for things, especially if engaged in a 'game' that will involve conquest & dominance. :wink:
That may sound neat, but it doesn't explain why it was never a problem in the first game. Hell as I recall at the end of the first game a bunch of people magicked thousands of SCUD missiles out of thin air, and nobody screamed bloody murder about that; likewise in the second we did very well indeed without obsessive quantification. If you ask me, these sort of games are better served by leaving as much to the player as possible. If you want to invoke the culture of SDNet, I think the culture of the board means that we're all supposed to be reasonable folk, we should be able to figure this out by ourselves, without the need to count every single field gun or whatnot. And if it somehow turns out we can't, we've got Steve to do it for us, don't we?
To be fair, that was my suggestion, not Steve's. I offered it as a possible way to impose a standard, uniform measure of spending if we wanted to go that far. I agree that we need as few rules as possible; my concern was that if we went down the path of heavy regulation then I wanted it to be as simple and as uniform as possible.
I know that wasn't Steve's idea, it's not Steve specifically that I'm getting cranky with either. And I see your concern, I just think that we should not go down the path of heavy regulation in the best conceivable manner: we should avoid going down it in the first place, because frankly unless I'm vastly underestimating the people here we don't have to, so it'll prove a pointless hassle that'll be to the detriment of the game.
But I agree, I'd prefer to avoid it entirely and rely more on RP'ing.
We certainly are in agreement there, then.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

I just want to chime in to support Seige; there is no need to quantify everything! We're already at the point were we've recorded enough so people can't pull ridiculous crap out of their ass and that's good enough for me. Besides, I doubt troop maintenance costs are going to be the decisive element of our conflicts. The main strategic factors (Such as having allies) are established by role playing.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Just for reference new airplane orders are being made (for my convenience) in bulk buys of 40, 80, or some increment thereof. The operational number of planes will only be 36, 72, etc. In other words I'm putting planes in to storage for replacements and parts as part of each order. The reason I mention this is that if and when I get in a fight each squadron out there has between 1 and 2 replacement planes immediately available without having to wait for new production. So if I lose 2 planes in a squadron and have them back at full strength 2 days later that is not a misprint or a sudden force pop from nothing.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

SDN World 3 Construction Queue Thread

Post by Ryan Thunder »

I think you're supposed to ramp up to war economy, Thanas. I don't recall the limit, though.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: SDN World 3 Construction Queue Thread

Post by Thanas »

Ryan Thunder wrote:I think you're supposed to ramp up to war economy, Thanas. I don't recall the limit, though.
I did do so. Note the 100% war economy bonus?

Also, topics moved to discussion thread.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Sorry. I meant ramp up as in 10% at first, then 20%, and so on. Unless I'm mistaken I believe Steve enforced that for Stas and Beo.

If you did that and I just didn't see it I apologize for bothering you with it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Sorry. I meant ramp up as in 10% at first, then 20%, and so on. Unless I'm mistaken I believe Steve enforced that for Stas and Beo.

If you did that and I just didn't see it I apologize for bothering you with it.
I wasn't aware that this was the case - and it would fly right in the face of every mobilization plan made. especially as the German plan of 1914 provided for about the same activation iirc.

Besides, Stas has gone to full mobilization in Q2 as well and he got the max bonus his economy would allow.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Alright. By the way, I'm not complaining in either case, just pointing it out.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I've never inserted rules for it taking time to ramp up to war economy. Realistically it could take 3-6 months I imagine, as the government forms the necessary commissions and offices to direct the national economy in the war effort. But for now I'm not enforcing such.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

What happens if the war you boosted your economy for ends before your construction does?
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Logically you start canceling orders, as real countries did.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I assumed as much, but wanted to be sure.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...