Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Beowulf
The Patrician

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread I

Post by Beowulf »

Norseman wrote:Sino-Mongol-Manchu
Eh what?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Beowulf wrote:
Norseman wrote:Sino-Mongol-Manchu
Eh what?
Stas' latest post, that town he mentions is right next to all three of them ;)
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Someone brought up the question to me in IMs and is prompting me to bring it up here.

Everyone is aware that an infantry division would have some organic artillery, right? Primarily 75mm and 105mm range field pieces, maybe even a battery or two of 125mm.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I suspect President Dupont is going to endure quite a few barbs thrown his way in the coming days...
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Steve wrote:I suspect President Dupont is going to endure quite a few barbs thrown his way in the coming days...
Probably, yes. But no more than Sanger is going to get for suggesting it in the first place, and there really wasn't any other honorable thing to do.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Yeah. Just as long as you two RP logical reactions from certain quarters it's fine.

That said, French revanchism may also be directed northeasterly toward those Communists that conquered so much of your African empire. :P

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Reichkanzler Sänger, I shall be proud to award you with the Grand Dominion's Highest Honour.

*pins medal*

The Double-Cross!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Minister of Pigeonry
Youngling

Post by Minister of Pigeonry »

Ahhh, there now. I believe I have all my bases covered in that last post. Time to get on with that OOB I've been neglecting..
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Steve wrote:Someone brought up the question to me in IMs and is prompting me to bring it up here.

Everyone is aware that an infantry division would have some organic artillery, right? Primarily 75mm and 105mm range field pieces, maybe even a battery or two of 125mm.
Yes I am aware of that and I decided I wanted Chilitina to have an army with a lot of artillery. It is a way to increase the hitting power against the populous nations to my north. If i have strayed into the realm of ridiculousness in the number of my guns though, I can certainly reduce the number in my army.
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2009-11-11 11:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Shep, while you may certainly be among world leaders in chemistry and make some breakthroughs, there are a number of countries who could still be superior to you in various ways.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Steve wrote:Shep, while you may certainly be among world leaders in chemistry and make some breakthroughs, there are a number of countries who could still be superior to you in various ways.

I think that was more a rah-rah moment Steve.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Just keeping you two honest. Full-time job, I swear. :P

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Steve wrote:Shep, while you may certainly be among world leaders in chemistry and make some breakthroughs, there are a number of countries who could still be superior to you in various ways.
Despite large-scale government support of the dye and chemical industry in Sheppoland?

It took WWI for example, for the British to begin supporting their dye and chemical industry seriously, with the formation of ICI.

The 1913 war between Sheppo and Goddamns caused an enormous boom in basic research in the chemical industry in both countries, which is now only just coming online in brand new giganto-plants that can produce obscene quantities of mustard each day, and brand new research labs full of scientists finding new ways to kill their fellow man. We've basically vaulted from the middling middle to at least the top 5 to 7 of countries in world chemical research.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Russo-Polish war forced Tukhachevsky to the ideas of mass chemical warfare from the start (like IRL). Hey to chemistry. Too bad Tsar Russia wasn't exactly top of the line here... :)

Incidentally, I want to ask of Beowulf and Bluewolf, what is the status of Chinese Eastern Railway? It was probably seized, or not Russian in the first place? Or not even built?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I imagine Mongolia is not too shabby on chemistry, seeing as we have enormous industrial capacity and have had it for decades by this point.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I don't oppose you in the top 5 or so. But best? Uh uh.

And Akhlut, why all the artillery "divisions"?

Jesus Christ, if I knew people were going to go hogwild on artillery brigades I'd have limited them as I did tanks and motorized units. Maybe I should.... :evil:

Seriously, attach them to Corps and Divisions, don't make them divisions of their own.

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Stas Bush wrote:Incidentally, I want to ask of Beowulf and Bluewolf, what is the status of Chinese Eastern Railway? It was probably seized, or not Russian in the first place? Or not even built?
Most of it exists, but not built by the Russians. I'm not sure about the westernmost section (between Hailar and Chita).
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Steve wrote:I don't oppose you in the top 5 or so. But best? Uh uh.

And Akhlut, why all the artillery "divisions"?

Jesus Christ, if I knew people were going to go hogwild on artillery brigades I'd have limited them as I did tanks and motorized units. Maybe I should.... :evil:

Seriously, attach them to Corps and Divisions, don't make them divisions of their own.
Mea culpa, I'll redo it, that was just the initial draft.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Sorry for snapping. I think maybe it's time to sleep.

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I was thinking that Portugal doesn't use as much integrated artillery support as other nations do* and thus has dedicated artillery divisions. These divisions are rarely fielded as a large unit however, and instead are attached to infantry or tank divisions. This has the disadvantage of infantry companies lacking organic fire support but means in general Portuguese artillerymen are well trained and equipped as they are seen as a vital and dedicated force.

*Not sure how many guns a typical division of 15,000 men should have, but I'd have likely half of that and only light guns at that.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Norade wrote:I was thinking that Portugal doesn't use as much integrated artillery support as other nations do* and thus has dedicated artillery divisions. These divisions are rarely fielded as a large unit however, and instead are attached to infantry or tank divisions. This has the disadvantage of infantry companies lacking organic fire support but means in general Portuguese artillerymen are well trained and equipped as they are seen as a vital and dedicated force.

*Not sure how many guns a typical division of 15,000 men should have, but I'd have likely half of that and only light guns at that.
Something like an artillery brigade would be more appropriate as a divisional-level attachment, I think.
tiny friendly crab.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

My OOB (land forces) has been posted. Any objections?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

An artillery brigade should be a corps level attachment. Another one to three would be found at the Army level; additional ones might be held at the level of army group or more likely allocated to the supreme command to use as strategic assets as army groups usually don’t exist in peacetime. Other then some very short lived Nazi experiments only the Russians ever used artillery divisions and they were Army Group/Front level assets. Post WW2 the ratio was 1 per front though during the war it could be three or four if the front had a major offensive role to play.

Regardless of calibers it was the corps artillery that did most of the heavy lifting in combat, shooting country battery and interdiction missions as well as providing the oomph for major attacks. Divisional level guns primarily fired for missions of only immediate importance to the division, which usually meant some kind of direct support role or call fire. Army level guns basically slotted in alongside the corps weapons.

Keep in mind that however many artillery pieces you have, you are still limited by how much ammo you can produce and how many spare barrels you have (a large portion of total production in war would go into rearming existing guns, because they get worn out and when you fire millions of shells some are bound to explode in the bore and wreck barrels). Huge artillery forces would have lower states of training, and take much longer to equip with radios and motorize. Though of course on the latter two subjects, only the British and US reached a standard of full motorization and full scale implementation of radio based fire control before the end of WW2.
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2009-11-12 02:16am, edited 1 time in total.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Czechmate wrote:
Norade wrote:I was thinking that Portugal doesn't use as much integrated artillery support as other nations do* and thus has dedicated artillery divisions. These divisions are rarely fielded as a large unit however, and instead are attached to infantry or tank divisions. This has the disadvantage of infantry companies lacking organic fire support but means in general Portuguese artillerymen are well trained and equipped as they are seen as a vital and dedicated force.

Something like an artillery brigade would be more appropriate as a divisional-level attachment, I think.
Indeed, I was more meaning to say that they are parted out as needed sometimes as a brigade, sometimes as low as a quarter of a brigade.

Also, what are we using for tank designs? I was thinking of still using the a Portuguese version of British Mark VIII as my main tank, but wanted to know what the limits are for either designing our own tanks or picking a historical design.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Tanks should be historical or direct variations of historical designs. The 1920s is really not a good time to go and mass produce a tank anyway, like aircraft what could be done was highly restricted by the low power of gasoline and diesel engines. So coming out with a new tank every single year makes more sense then committing to mass production, unless you intend to start a war shortly after. Otherwise in five years everything is obsolete. In the interim, .50cal anti tank rifles and anti tank machine guns can provide a robust anti tank defence at moderate cost. In real life in 1925 the only tank around you needed a real anti tank gun to kill was the Char 2C, which was more of a Maus pattern mobile fort then a serious combat tank.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956