SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread X

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread X

Post by Bluewolf »

Frankly we are going to need a poll for setting the year and we need to decide it really before we could do much else. It effects so much that it cannot be ignored. After we know what we want, it becomes a bit eaiser.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Siege wrote:I think 1890 or 1900 are too far back. 1910 I could get behind though.

EDIT: I find myself liking the point system Czech drew up. It allows for much variety, and if one wants to max out in one place it inevitably forces one to compromise in another.

And like Raj I'm thinking of doing something else for this game as well... Maybe play as the Sultan of Egypt...
1910 would probably work, everybody has essentially switched universally to big gun ships but they just started to roll down the quays 4 years earlier which means the vast majority of fleet are still made up of citadel style battleships and armored cruisers, planes are being used for recon and radio is JUST starting to show up but would require a huge investment for limited commercial return (since the infrastructure level is zero the startup costs would be huge until the second decade).

I do think the idea of polling this is likely worthwhile.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I must say, I like this points system rather a lot. Excellent, O Friendly Neighborhood Crab! :)
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Poll is up BTW.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

There is something I'd like to ask about:

Occupation. Given that conventional war is now a lot more eaiser to do with no nukes and defensive weapons, how will we handle one nation getting occcupied by another? Will we just simply eliminate the occupied nation and player from the game or will be able to set up restistence movements etc?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Depends, if the player's a jackhole then we might just use that to kick him out, but in most cases I imagine that government-in-exile would be the result.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Preferably set up resistance movements, and the player's government can run away in exile and start screaming and shouting shit on radio, newspapers and stuff. Maybe we can have a whole slew of NPC nations for "defeated" players to flee to, in exile, and the NPCs can "host" them and generously donate funds for the exiled players to use in their resistance movements. Depends on how the player weasels through.

Guys: I'm sorry to say that if I get involved in SDNW3, my involvement will be marginal at best. Aside from real-life being poo, I also no longer have the stamina for such vigorous gamesmanship. But no worry, if I involve myself marginally then my contributions won't be stuff like trench warfare, mustard gas, or biplanes. I'll be cranking out the same Shroomanian stuff as always, but more concentrated and historically horribel! :P

If we go with WW1, then I can totally go Black Adder Goes Forth.

And I can give you...

The Man-Mata Hari!

:twisted:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

I figure, since the game is dying, and we're moving on to the next one. I might as well start wrapping up some loose ends. :)

The situation in Japanistan should be quite interesting.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

[gamer mode]can has tactical strikes to kill the leaders of a nation whose government has been deposed by the mods? thnx lol[/gamer mode]
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Stas Bush wrote:[gamer mode]can has tactical strikes to kill the leaders of a nation whose government has been deposed by the mods? thnx lol[/gamer mode]
Tactical strikes with 1GT nukes? :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

'Ere we go, 'ere we go,
'ere we go, 'ere we go,
'ere we go, into the Cosmos!

- a Shroomanian children's song.

Very appropriate :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Goddamn! MUSHROOM MOONBASE! Moon Station Walrus!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Goddamn! MUSHROOM MOONBASE! Moon Station Walrus!
Yes! Soviet Moon Base! :D

Also: Shroom WTF is your avatar doing? Awesome. :lol:
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

He's eating a diseased Breast.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Actually, it will be either "Camp Lem" or "Lem Base".

Lots of people in SDN world are going to be asking questions about who Lem was, of course :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

PeZook wrote:
Actually, it will be either "Camp Lem" or "Lem Base".

Lots of people in SDN world are going to be asking questions about who Lem was, of course :P
Total aside but you could always, if needed, contract out to the MSA for supplies since we now have two of Coyote's Eagle lander/shuttles operating and available for round trips between our LEO space station and the unmanned (well at least not permanently manned) lunar research station we operate. So yeah it might be cheaper to just shuttle on up to us (now that we have universal docking rings) and transfer to the Eagles that we already have in space, should save on your launch costs.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

I hope the MESS isn't planning on sinking Japanistan's navy. That would make this game end on a side note as Japanistan invokes its defensive clause with Indhopal and then bad things start happening :( . My nation would most likely escalate to nukes quickly due to the conventional power difference.

I sense a scheme is afoot, though I'm not exactly sure how Indhopal might affect things since when Coyote had to essentially drop out of the game I wasn't able to figure out exactly what Indhopal's and Japanistan's relationship is like. I always intended to exchange a few officers and cooperate on a few defense projects such as subs, but about the only thing that is cannon is Indhoapl sold most of its warships to Japanistan and they built a lot of sub bases and other installations for Indhopal.

Even assuming that Indhopal and Japanistan don't have extensive ties, I still would at least have a military attache and intelligence officers in Japanistan's capital at my embassy. This coup or whatever isn't exactly going on silently so they would be able to figure out something is up. In fact I think I might write a post about that....
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Raj Ahten wrote:I hope the MESS isn't planning on sinking Japanistan's navy. That would make this game end on a side note as Japanistan invokes its defensive clause with Indhopal and then bad things start happening :( . My nation would most likely escalate to nukes quickly due to the conventional power difference.

Ooooooo...completely forgot about it. I had recalled that you transferred some AEGIS ships to the IJN, but...*shrug*

We'll see. The IJN is strong enough that it could handle the ODN on it's own, and possibly the combined TXN/OICAS taskforces. Myself, Steve, and Shep have discussed this, and bottom line is that Japanistan is going to Fracture, hard. No PC is going to seize the reins of (all) of Japanistan.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Lonestar wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:I hope the MESS isn't planning on sinking Japanistan's navy. That would make this game end on a side note as Japanistan invokes its defensive clause with Indhopal and then bad things start happening :( . My nation would most likely escalate to nukes quickly due to the conventional power difference.

Ooooooo...completely forgot about it. I had recalled that you transferred some AEGIS ships to the IJN, but...*shrug*

We'll see. The IJN is strong enough that it could handle the ODN on it's own, and possibly the combined TXN/OICAS taskforces. Myself, Steve, and Shep have discussed this, and bottom line is that Japanistan is going to Fracture, hard. No PC is going to seize the reins of (all) of Japanistan.
We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out. If Japanistan ceases to have any real government before you make your strikes Indhopal might stop caring as any alliance with them would be beside the point as I would no longer have any idea with whom I am allied to anymore. But things could still get really ugly. I'm pretty sure all I could do is give the MESS a black eye being completely destroyed in return if it goes to shooting. If you really want to make it messy though have a faction in Japanistan ask Indhopal for aid :angelic:
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Raj Ahten wrote:
We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out. If Japanistan ceases to have any real government before you make your strikes

Strikes? Who said anything about pre-emptive strikes?
Lord Fairfax wrote: If this blows up in our face we're going to need as large a naval force on hand possible in the area.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Lonestar wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:
We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out. If Japanistan ceases to have any real government before you make your strikes

Strikes? Who said anything about pre-emptive strikes?
Lord Fairfax wrote: If this blows up in our face we're going to need as large a naval force on hand possible in the area.
Clarifying a bit further there are two (well three) widely seperated naval elements all of which remain at sea. The NORTHERN LOOK group is in one place on standby while Task Force 77 (2 CVBGs led by the Marit Larsen and Marion Raven respectively) is conducting exercises in the central Atlantic but the admiral commanding has been given courier delivered instructions to come to the assistance of NORTHERN LOOK forces upon an agreed upon signal set.

-Kingdom of Heaven
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

And I, meanwhile, remain blissfully unaware of what's going on. :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

RogueIce wrote:And I, meanwhile, remain blissfully unaware of what's going on. :D
Honestly I was in the dark so my working theory is that the WIN decided they wanted to test out their sub tactics and decided to try and commit force to NORTHERN LOOK at which point Farifax decided that he couldn't refuse them without piquing Wilkens' interest. So that meant bringingsome of the senior Wilkonian defense officials onboard after which they formally committed SUBRON 3 and then quietly shifted TF77 while giving the Admiral sealed orders but this was done kinda ad hoc so there wasn't even really the thought to bring you or Coyote onboard.

-Kingdom of Heaven
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

And before anyone else tries to play detective, I asked Beo about the location and he said there's plenty of open ocean around them. So they're not off the Japanistani coast or anything like that. So at best you're looking at suspicion with a healthy dose of paranoia.

Plus, my lesbian harem chicks comment amused me enough I figured I'd go ahead with this. :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

This is a ploy by the MESS to take over Japanistan. I'm sure some "incident" will happen. After all that's Beowulf and Lonestar we're talking about.

*laughs*

Indhopal should've cast it's lot with CATO. I've already considered the weakness of the Japs as a power bloc, and their instability (instigated by the MESS as well) helps not. Mark my words.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali