Space STGOD diplomacy thread.(2K9)

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Re: Space STGOD diplomacy thread.(2K9)

Post by Thirdfain »

(OOC: This invitation is being sent to the ambassadors to the Ousters of the following powers: the Kaeleer Star Kingdom, the Sky Empire, and the Nashtar Republic; it's in the form of a notice to your embassies to the Ousters. If you are one of those 3 powers and we have not yet exchanged embassies, I'd like to either assume the formalities are out of the way, or you can just tell me if you don't want an embassy in the Clusters.)

The Office of the Speaker of the Hajr

"It is the tradition of the Unbound to celebrate all victories, great and small. We have recently shard in a victory- through negotiation, four great powers have handled the difficult business of resolving the territorial disputes and potential concerns in the Southwestern Rim. You are therefor invited cordially to feast this third-shift at 18:00 at the Chamber of the Speaker to be formally presented to the Speaker and to participate in the revels of greeting and small-victory. Dress is formal. Additionally, there are minor matters of state and protocol to be discussed, which the Speaker would like to attend to personally."

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Unity Station

Dr. Gregor Hausman, Head of Pan-Galactic affairs, a fancy way of saying he was the mouthpiece of the board to Known Space, fucking Baxy, if that bastard hadn't gone to the fucking board with that information I gave him, and listing me as his informant, I wouldn't be here, the Unified Steelworks Ambassador lamented in his mind, sure he would have presented the damning evidence against Chairman Saakashvili's kid to the board, and he would have gotten the same position Baxter held, but he wouldn't have sold out his source.That was the straw, that Baxter, his friend since childhood, had sold out Dr. Hausman for some cushy job as Head of Corporate Intelligence. Fucking bastard, and now I have to deal with this group, the Doctor thought as he looked around the emptying hall.

At least this isn't a fucking planet. was the last thought the Doctor had before his aide hurriedly jogged up to him and spoke, "Message for you sir."

"Thank you," he looked over the message, "so, our old backyard neighbours have finally overthrown their overlords and have a coherent enough system to send an Ambassador here, well, I'll see what I can do then," he murmured as he scanned the message twice. He then looked at his still there aide, "When I said 'I'll see what I can do,' I meant to say, 'Make it so,'" he shook his head at the second lack of recognition, "Go find a Representative, moron."

As his aide ran off in search of a diplomat from the 'Far Reaches Free Republic' a smile crossed Dr. Hausman's face, oh how he loved destroying the minds of people who worked for him. He looked back at the letter, how would he convince these people to accept the requests laid out in the message, exploitation rights, non-aggression pacts, he had nothing on these people, they were completely devoid of any actual connection the doctor could use to convince them, hell, he didn't even know what 'genetic assistance' was supposed to mean, it could mean putting some of their massive genetic experience to use trying to create a beast that would break the Companies cycle of hunger that plagued the systems to genetically engineering workers to dig with their minds and their shoes, he didn't know which question would elicite an outraged response, they might hold cows sacred, hell, with the way this universe worked, they might be cows. All the doctor could think of was, fuck Baxy.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Thirdfain wrote:The Office of the Speaker of the Hajr

"It is the tradition of the Unbound to celebrate all victories, great and small. We have recently shard in a victory- through negotiation, four great powers have handled the difficult business of resolving the territorial disputes and potential concerns in the Southwestern Rim. You are therefor invited cordially to feast this third-shift at 18:00 at the Chamber of the Speaker to be formally presented to the Speaker and to participate in the revels of greeting and small-victory. Dress is formal. Additionally, there are minor matters of state and protocol to be discussed, which the Speaker would like to attend to personally."
"We will be happy to attend," the Imperial Ambassador replied.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

At the Union ambassador's acceptance, 'Smith' allows another faint smile to rise above his carefully-bland mask. That mask extends to more than just skin...attempting to read his surface thoughts is likely to induce a headache from all the interleaving concepts and images and innate contradictions. Attempting to delve deeper is more than likely to induce seizures in the man that, while not a telepath, has a mind like moebius strip as envisioned by M. C. Escher.

"Excellent..."
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

White Haven wrote:At the Union ambassador's acceptance, 'Smith' allows another faint smile to rise above his carefully-bland mask. That mask extends to more than just skin...attempting to read his surface thoughts is likely to induce a headache from all the interleaving concepts and images and innate contradictions. Attempting to delve deeper is more than likely to induce seizures in the man that, while not a telepath, has a mind like moebius strip as envisioned by M. C. Escher.

"Excellent..."
"What do you suggest for defending this choke point? The Imperium sees need for trade partners that is no question and we will agree to such an agreement, but choke points must be defended, be it through true active and passive defences."
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Pointing to the gleaming system to the NCA's northeast, 'Smith' replies with a smile, "The NCA currently has a carrier task force securing that system, along with cruiser pickets on the approaches. As to the southern passageway..." The map flares around the node lines that circle the very southwestern reaches of the node network.

"Consider it a safety valve. If we give no alternative to going through us, then military force is an attractive option. But if going around us is an option, albeit a long and...risky one, that becomes less attractive."
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

"We shouldn't. Nor should we charge so much to pass through our space as some of us might be thinking. Each of our systems is heavily defended by our own militaries, no pirate would go anywhere near any of our worlds, the risk is too great. On the left flipper, the chokepoint, and the route used to get too it will be crawling with pirates. This gives merchants who want to do trans-galactic shipping a choice. Pay our transit fees, or risk piracy. We do not want to charge so much that they think the risk worthwhile."
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Unified Steelworks

Dr Hausman's aide, unable to get a hold of one of the Free Republic's three principle diplomats returned with a man named Petrenko. He was Druganov's main aide and an even worse choice as a diplomat than his master. Petrenko had been a leader of a street level cell of workers rights operatives during the revolution and it was obvious through his manner and speech that he was still a revolutionary at heart. Physically he was a fairly "standard" human with a lot of combat related biomods such cat like eyes to see in the dark, implanted musculature and other more hidden additions.

Petrenko could barely hide his disgust when introduced to Hausman. To Petrenko's eyes the man practically exuded an oily film. Petrenko spoke,
"So. What does the representative from United Steel Works want?"
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

"The Star Kingdom supports you proposal, Mr. Smith."

OOC: I've got nothing to add, really. The points I might've raised already have been.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Thirdfain wrote:(OOC: This invitation is being sent to the ambassadors to the Ousters of the following powers: the Kaeleer Star Kingdom, the Sky Empire, and the Nashtar Republic; it's in the form of a notice to your embassies to the Ousters. If you are one of those 3 powers and we have not yet exchanged embassies, I'd like to either assume the formalities are out of the way, or you can just tell me if you don't want an embassy in the Clusters.)

The Office of the Speaker of the Hajr

The Nashtari embassy sent out a terse message confirming that the ambassador would be in attendance. At the appointed time, Ambassador Kieran Byrne arrived at the doors to the Chamber of the Speaker, dressed in a formal suit.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

On the Hajr cluster that bore the Star Kingdom's embassy, the Opal Caste Baron Ludwig Medici approached the room wherein the feast was to take place. He wore a formal dinner jacket, opal-encrusted as befitted his rank, and wore a small translator to aid his still-imperfect command of the Ouster tongue.
Conversion Table:

Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Raj Ahten wrote:Nashtar Republic

Patrick Fernandez’s job was to woo the Nashtar Republic. They were a democracy and one that had a revolution in their past, even if it was ancient history. Back home it was hoped that they could be persuaded to help the Free Republic’s cause.
Fernandez started out with a question in a casual tone, with a happy expression gracing his face.
“Hello Horace. So good to see you again. So tell me, what do you think of my country’s little experiment in democracy?”
Ambassador Shelton turned to see who was addressing him. His face bore a blank look for a moment before recognition blossomed. "Ah, Patrick, it's been entirely too long!" The former fighter pilot chuckled as he put down his drink. "Do you want my opinion, or my government's?" The question was asked with a smile, but was subtly pointed: Is this official business, or are you making a social call?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:Nashtar Republic

Patrick Fernandez’s job was to woo the Nashtar Republic. They were a democracy and one that had a revolution in their past, even if it was ancient history. Back home it was hoped that they could be persuaded to help the Free Republic’s cause.
Fernandez started out with a question in a casual tone, with a happy expression gracing his face.
“Hello Horace. So good to see you again. So tell me, what do you think of my country’s little experiment in democracy?”
Ambassador Shelton turned to see who was addressing him. His face bore a blank look for a moment before recognition blossomed. "Ah, Patrick, it's been entirely too long!" The former fighter pilot chuckled as he put down his drink. "Do you want my opinion, or my government's?" The question was asked with a smile, but was subtly pointed: Is this official business, or are you making a social call?
"Why not both responses sir?"
Fernandez chuckled for a moment and then continued,
"Honestly we do have much to discuss. Known space is as dangerous as ever. Especially to democratic states such as ours that are beholden to the people. Aggressive Imperialists are reverting to old tendencies, new players like the Ousters are on the move and most everyone seems keen to divide up neutral systems for their own benefit. It's dangerous. Dangerous for everyone. We have much to gain by standing with one another."
Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

Two hours had passed. The three ambassadors had muddled through one of the most uncomfortable evenings of their lives. There had been a long series of successive toasts, all with a searing, almost tasteless liquor which seemed not much different from moonshine. The fare had consisted largely of half-raw meat, including an entire gutted cow lowered and torn to shreds by hand. There had been a strange, freefall dance which at first looked like folk-dancing, but in fact turned out to be some sort of ritual orgy. All in all, it had been altogether a mess.

The Speaker, however, was another story. He had introduced himself as Atja su Miitgar, and he seemed quite different from most of the Ousters they'd bet before. He was shorter, and his build was whipcord-thin and wirey. His hair was jet black, cropped short, and his eyes were a strange and piercing shade of blue. He was a perfect host, laughing often and waving away the myriad of small faux pas which accompanied strangers in a new cultural situation.

Then, the Nashtar ambassador excused himself.

The Speaker turned to the Baron Medici.

"You know, I could not care less about your exploded ship or any other event. However, you would be mistaken if you thought you could start a shooting war for control of a node of such vital importance to the Hajr's commerce, so blatantly, without incident. The Llaelar Republic is an anarchic mess which requires occupation. It is your decision as to whether the operation is a combined peacekeeping operation against internal dissonance, or an intervention against brutal foreign invasion."

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

"Speaker, I do not believe that any conflict between the desires of the Hajr and the Star Kingdom exists. The Fleet was ordered to obtain the guilty parties for trial, or to exact compensation from the planet itself. None of this will impact your trade...And any government that would allow it's members to behave in such a fashion as to destroy one of our warships is clearly not fit to exist. Perhaps, under Kaeleer;s guidance, conditions for Hajr trade could become even more favorable?"
Conversion Table:

Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

"Perhaps under Hajr guidance, conditions would be even better?" The Speaker raised an eyebrow. "I'll put things plainly. Any occupation of Llaelarese space which does not include significant and and equal sharing with the Hajr, as well as the Sky Empire, in terms of territorial division and administration is completely unacceptable. Your alternative is a war in which you'd be surrounded and outnumbered, and in which we'd enjoy the support of both the Llaelarese and the rest of the international community." He caught a floating bubble of harsh liquor and sipped it up. "Co-operation with your neighboring powers, however, can gain you if not legitimacy, at least complete military success and considerable assistance with the diplomatic situation. Moreover, it would clarify your position with regards to the Hajr, and infinitely improve our relations."

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

"That strike me as a perfectly reasonable solution to the problems currently plaguing the region. I agree. Perhaps control of each nation's node would belong to that nation, as well as the surrounding space, and we could share the profits of the planet equally?"
Conversion Table:

Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

The Speaker smiled. "Well, this is most gratifying. We'll hammer out the details later; now is no time for such a complicated process. The only losers here will be the Llaelarese and the Nashtar ambassador." The Baron looked at the Speaker askew. "Why the Nashtar ambassador?"

The Ouster's face took on a devilish cast. "Because thanks to your willingness to co-operate, this evening will for him be an uncomfortable social situation and a bad hangover, rather than a vital diplomatic event."

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

The Baron smiled slightly. "Speaking of which, Speaker, if I'm to be any use at the negotiating table tomorrow, I'd best retire. Thank your for the evening. It's been...Unique."

Back in his quarters, the Baron drafted a report, which he sent by the fastest means possible to Ebon Askavi and the Fleet.
Conversion Table:

Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

"A solution such as this would be more than acceptable to us," Ambassador Goran answered. "We don't want a war, and will instruct our admirals as such. Privately spoken, we would not shed a tear for the Llaelarese. A shared Llaelar is infinitely more worth than a three-sided war. As such, I will send reports as soon as possible."
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Raj Ahten wrote: Mahou Kikai

Druganov decided to tackle the matter of the enigmatic Mahou Kikai himself. His 2.5 meter high bulk approached their ambassador and he went straight to the matter at hand.
“My name is Druganov. I am the head of mission from the Free Republic. I demand o know what your master’s goals are in this section of space. It is common knowledge they were made for war. Does the Mahou Kikai seek conquest, or something else?”
Subtlety was not Druganov’s strong point and his manner would likely be cringe inducing if Fernandez had been right there to witness it.
Helen bolted up from her chair. "I could have sworn I bolted that hatch closed. You are an untactful brute." With that, the blond haired woman picked him up and threw him bodily out of the compartment. "Send someone else next time," she said, before slaming the hatch closed and making sure it was locked.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Beowulf wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote: Mahou Kikai

Druganov decided to tackle the matter of the enigmatic Mahou Kikai himself. His 2.5 meter high bulk approached their ambassador and he went straight to the matter at hand.
“My name is Druganov. I am the head of mission from the Free Republic. I demand o know what your master’s goals are in this section of space. It is common knowledge they were made for war. Does the Mahou Kikai seek conquest, or something else?”
Subtlety was not Druganov’s strong point and his manner would likely be cringe inducing if Fernandez had been right there to witness it.
Helen bolted up from her chair. "I could have sworn I bolted that hatch closed. You are an untactful brute." With that, the blond haired woman picked him up and threw him bodily out of the compartment. "Send someone else next time," she said, before slaming the hatch closed and making sure it was locked.
Druganov may have been a brute, but he wasn't a complete fool. He was however, extremely angry. He stormed back to the Free Republic's embassy and managed to give a debriefing to his stunned subordinates there. Mr. Waits, a junior member of the diplomatic team who was actually a member of the Foreign Service, rather than some committee was frankly stunned by his superior’s faux pas. He smoothly offered to go back and try to salvage something of the situation. Surprisingly, Druganov gave his blessing.

On his way back to Helen's chambers, Mr. Waits went over what could be learned from this disaster; besides the obvious that Druganov should be kept as far away from delicate business as possible. For one, it appeared the Mahou Kikai were quite willing to use violence to enforce their will. Bodily throwing out an ambassador was a rather extreme measure, even if he was an idiot. Any claims to territory that they had should therefore be taken extremely seriously. Obviously, proper protocol would have to be used at all times. Any hot heads in the military would best be placed far away from their border.

At the threshold of Helen's territory Mr. Waits, who was a rather small, plain looking man, activated the intercom and said,
"Mr. Waits from the Far Reaches Free Republic to see "Helen" of the Mahou Kikai at her convenience. I offer an apology on behalf of the Republic for the earlier incident with Mr. Druganov."
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Raj Ahten wrote:Unified Steelworks

Dr Hausman's aide, unable to get a hold of one of the Free Republic's three principle diplomats returned with a man named Petrenko. He was Druganov's main aide and an even worse choice as a diplomat than his master. Petrenko had been a leader of a street level cell of workers rights operatives during the revolution and it was obvious through his manner and speech that he was still a revolutionary at heart. Physically he was a fairly "standard" human with a lot of combat related biomods such cat like eyes to see in the dark, implanted musculature and other more hidden additions.

Petrenko could barely hide his disgust when introduced to Hausman. To Petrenko's eyes the man practically exuded an oily film. Petrenko spoke,
Dr. Hausman tried calling up the station's information on the man standing in front of him, and once again cursing out the director of Corporate Intelligence for getting him this sorry gig, finding that the his Connector was incompatible with whatever system the station used for an Station-wide network, At least this guy isn't a walking cow, "Mr. Petrenko, I would like to extend to you on behalf of the Company the opportunity to gain access to the greatest resource extraction agency in Known Space, for the simple exchange of assistance in some minor genetic issues the Board is facing.

"What we are offering is the opportunity of a lifetime, a chance at gaining unprecedented access to resources, the machinery and experts to teach your citizens the tricks of the trade in exchange for some simple information regarding a problem the Company faces."
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Karmic Knight wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:Unified Steelworks

Dr. Hausman tried calling up the station's information on the man standing in front of him, and once again cursing out the director of Corporate Intelligence for getting him this sorry gig, finding that the his Connector was incompatible with whatever system the station used for an Station-wide network, At least this guy isn't a walking cow, "Mr. Petrenko, I would like to extend to you on behalf of the Company the opportunity to gain access to the greatest resource extraction agency in Known Space, for the simple exchange of assistance in some minor genetic issues the Board is facing.

"What we are offering is the opportunity of a lifetime, a chance at gaining unprecedented access to resources, the machinery and experts to teach your citizens the tricks of the trade in exchange for some simple information regarding a problem the Company faces."
Despite his intense dislike of Hausman and the United Steel Works whole operation, Petrenko managed to hold his tongue. For the moment anyway. He figured he had a job to do, which meant listening to what the suit had to say.

Petrenko said,
"Just what sort of help can United Steel offer the Free Republic? Our union run operations are meeting record production goals already. Anyway, what exactly do you mean by minor genetic issues?"

If United Steel Works actually needed assistance Petrenko really wanted to hear the suit say it. Most of that sort never admitted they had a problem. Petrenko might also be able to make a counter offer involving political concession or the like if United Steel actually needed something.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Encrypted Message
FROM: Her Excellency Countess Arabella Nehele, Her Dark Majesty's Ambassador to Unity Station
TO: Their Excellencies the Ambassadors of the Empire of the Sky and the Hajr
Subject: Division of Recently Acquired Territory

Your Excellencies,

I have recently received word that a great victory has been won by Kaeleeri and Sky Imperial forces over those of the treacherous Llaelar Republic in the Narmathar system, formerly of that same government. Since it has been brought definitively under the rule of more enlightened persons, Her Dark Majesty, the Emperor of the Sky, and the Speaker of the Hajr greatest among them, it is Her Dark Majesty's opinion that an agreement ought to be reached between the aforementioned wise, generous, and illustrious rulers, so as to prevent future conflict and misunderstanding.

To that effect, I request the pleasure of your company at a celebratory banquet to be held three days hence, in my own quarters.

May the Darkness Embrace You,
Arabella Nehele, Countess of the Darkness, etc.
Conversion Table: