SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread V

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread V

Post by Coyote »

Ryan, Canissia was eager to get into the laser game ASAP, and we invested tons of money in the THEL chemical-laser project. It actually paid off, because as Shepland was dying, and he launched off a ton o' missiles towards Canissia and other MESS nations, our THELs intercepted a bunch of 'em... whew! Close one!

But as we were deploying THEL fully, Byzantium was investing in the next generation solid-state lasers. Now, Canissia will be pitching in to help with that (we've done some work and investment, but soon a deal with King & Parliament will increase participation).

Eventually, we'll be replacing out THELs with SHELs --Solid-state High Energy Lasers, but it'll be a Byzantine initiative, with Canissia tacking on, since we already did the groundbreaking work on the chemical laser program.

Now, if the FTO is interested, Canissia might be looking to unload those THELs on someone for a pretty penny. You'll have to build your own infrastructure for them, since we had a system of integrated nuclear reactors built and we're not ditching those. But buying Canissian surplus will save an asston of money, give you something useful, and San Dorado already buys THELs from us so you have locals who are familiar with it to assist you. And the chemical waste gets incinerated in San Dorado's volcano.

If you're interested, I recommend an in-game post, since Canissia has made no secret that we're now halting production of THEL in favor of SHEL research and testing...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:Because Miratia is a shithole duchy. I don't get to have the shiniest toys in every field. In fact, I'd be pleasantly surprised to discover that I had the shiniest toys in any field, for that matter.

In any event, I consider a somewhat inferior chemical laser that could fit in a cube van to be better than no laser at all.
What for?
Strategic missile defense and, as targeting systems allow, anti-mortar and anti-missile defense for ground and naval assets.

Or as an anti-tank weapon, if it can do that.
As it is, Cannissia already beat you to an operationally deployed chemical laser. Reinventing the wheel much?
No more than I would be by developing my own helicopters, missiles, rifles and ammunition, etc, instead of just using everybody else's gear, I think.

It's a scientific and engineering exercise. Something like this is intended to boost civilian interest in science and engineering, and nationalistic pride.

"Hey, we did this on our lonesome. Think of what else can we do!"
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Ryan Thunder wrote:No more than I would be by developing my own helicopters, missiles, rifles and ammunition, etc, instead of just using everybody else's gear, I think.

It's a scientific and engineering exercise. Something like this is intended to boost civilian interest in science and engineering, and nationalistic pride.

"Hey, we did this on our lonesome. Think of what else can we do!"
More like "Hey, we just did something someone else did a decade ago! How far away before we can impossibly match them!"

No Ryan, that's not how one does academia. Academia doesn't include reinventing already invented technology, much less obsolete technology, but send someone out to learn the technology and then replicate it. Why bother plowing money into something that most of the academic community, even now, recognise that more development in chemical lasers is a futile effort and that solid state lasers simply offer more advantages than any other known type of laser?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Actually, the IRT would be interested in purchasing Canassian laser technology.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

phongn wrote:Actually, the IRT would be interested in purchasing Canassian laser technology.

EXCELLENT

Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:More like "Hey, we just did something someone else did a decade ago! How far away before we can impossibly match them!"

No Ryan, that's not how one does academia. Academia doesn't include reinventing already invented technology, much less obsolete technology, but send someone out to learn the technology and then replicate it. Why bother plowing money into something that most of the academic community, even now, recognise that more development in chemical lasers is a futile effort and that solid state lasers simply offer more advantages than any other known type of laser?
Well, I didn't realize that the disparity was that great. :wtf:

If you'll let me, I'll retcon the project, and offer to immediately contribute half of its original cost (about $1 billion) to the continued development of the SHEL in exchange for a share in the results. That would mean that Miratia gets schematics and rights to manufacture SHELs.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Well, I didn't realize that the disparity was that great. :wtf:

If you'll let me, I'll retcon the project, and offer to immediately contribute half of its original cost (about $1 billion) to the continued development of the SHEL in exchange for a share in the results. That would mean that Miratia gets schematics and rights to manufacture SHELs.
Chemical Lasers were developed in the 1970s and only started to get small enough to be used on the field recently. The only thing going for chemical lasers right now is that they are the only ones with 1MW power. Most people think fiber lasers are the future (I think so too, but there are lots of issues to be dealt with.).

I would guess collaboration is possible.......
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Ryan Thunder wrote: Because Miratia is a shithole duchy. I don't get to have the shiniest toys in every field. In fact, I'd be pleasantly surprised to discover that I had the shiniest toys in any field, for that matter.
Could you please stop complaining about the quality of your stuff? You had top-of-the line aerospace industry, and then you sold the fucking factory to San Dorado.

And now you complain about your toys? :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

PeZook wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote: Because Miratia is a shithole duchy. I don't get to have the shiniest toys in every field. In fact, I'd be pleasantly surprised to discover that I had the shiniest toys in any field, for that matter.
Could you please stop complaining about the quality of your stuff? You had top-of-the line aerospace industry, and then you sold the fucking factory to San Dorado.

And now you complain about your toys? :D
I have more than one factory, you know. That was a specialized assembly line for Spectres, which I determined were of little use to Miratia on their own because of their ridiculous speed and the size (or lack thereof) of Frequesque. :P And besides that, I can still get them for the same cost I would've otherwise.

It's wasn't a complaint, just an observation. Yes, my aerospace industry is nice, but the other (and especially, larger) nations have similar or better stuff in most respects. Which is what I'd expect to be the case, given the sheer difference in scale.

My jet engines are God, though. Hence the ubiquitous use of supercruise. :D
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Alaska too would be interested in Canassian laser technology.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thread locked due to length

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton