SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread?

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stas Bush wrote: Well, "anything" is a bad rule phrase. It will be a XB-70/T-4MS 200 wankfest real fucking soon, and the game will turn into TBO wankage whilst smaller nations would run around looking for what to do, disinterested in becoming accustmed to paper weapons.
Small nations are hopelessly outclassed any way you cut it, why the hell you would think that strictly limiting the order of battle would help them is beyond me. The only chance they could have is using dissimilar weapons! Otherwise it’s just a matter of lining 150 F-22s against 600 F-22s, and bang, the 150 planes lose every time. Rinse and repeat.

"Roughly equivalent" means that it is equivalent.

A T-4MS200 for example is not roughly equivalent to other crafts.

How about Bartini WIGs, all calculated and even test ran with aerodynamic models? They are feasible with todays' tech, but they'd FUCK UP the tech tree if given to anyone who just wishes to have them from the very start.
Fuck up the tech tree? What fucking tech tree? Ever nation on earth is allowed to have the F-22, and a half dozen nations have fleets that could salvo off 4,000 Tomahawk land attack missiles at once. That’s wanktastictly stupid already.

Hell, I'm more willing to side with Beowulf, ditch all S-47 and ditch the Ulyanovsk CVNs than to allow a free-for-all.

*grunts* as if we didn't have enough weapon wankfests
This from the man who declared having Spiral suborbital bombers in the first pages of the thread, surprising.

This game, when using simple crafts, is instinctively understood to nations both small and large, and allows for good grip on economy and military expenditure even for starting members. When using complicated tech but possible, off the grid when a nation starts, just makes it fucking pointless to invest into anything and makes teh whole GDP angle redundant bullshit.
The GDP angle is already utter bullshit in view of the ability of every single nation to compete with equally high technology and start up space programs at the drop of a hat while having no more then 1.5 trillion.
"Initial use of never built crap" means everyone will start gettng superior US aircraft wankoprojects wings, FULL of it, superior ships with the latest techonologies (and if we just allow all tech to function it means there's shitloads of satelites which just suddenly BEAMED up there for AEGIS purposes!)..
Please do explain to me how the fuck that is different then everyone having F-22s and AEGIS please, because I sure don’t see any difference. Its all fucking bleeding edge technology even the US barely affords with six times the GDP anyone has here. Not to mention since most players can already start with the very best real life technology as it currently exists, any improvements pretty much automatically must jump into the realm of fiction anyway.

You’d have a way better argument if you wanted to start with MiG-29As and F-16As, not dozens of freaking Virginia class boats roaming the oceans. Hell by the terms being proposed Saddamistan, which I’d love to portray has having only a layer of high technology ontop of piles of crap (enough Foxtrots to build a pontoon bridge across the English Channel), will have more Virginia class submarines now then the USN thinks it can buy. That sound like making the GDP figures matter to you?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Technically, Stas has announced that he's developing them - not that he actually has them already.

Admittedly, I am a bit guilty of pursuing fictitional railguns...

Honestly, I think we should have a little bit of leeway as to not totally constrain things so there's a bit of fun and silliness like Bear's airship fleets, while also relying on each player's good nature so he won't ruin other people's fun by unleashing a torrent of Project Pluto nuclear cruise missiles or something.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Small nations are hopelessly outclassed any way you cut it, why the hell you would think that strictly limiting the order of battle would help them is beyond me. The only chance they could have is using dissimilar weapons! Otherwise it’s just a matter of lining 150 F-22s against 600 F-22s, and bang, the 150 planes lose every time. Rinse and repeat.
Once the superior weaponry is established, it will be a dumb copycat game. :roll:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Ever nation on earth is allowed to have the F-22
No: Duchies do not have jets in the AF, only copters. :roll: And since that's realistically beyond their means of procurement.
Sea Skimmer wrote:This from the man who declared having Spiral suborbital bombers in the first pages of the thread, surprising.
What the fuck! :roll: I said I allocated initial investment for SPIRAL not that Ihad it. For fuck's sake I seriously damaged my nations' economy when throwing in serious money for space! :roll: it's only my luck it's 75% a command one so my budget didn't just crack apart from that effort, and thankfully the OMSK nations lent a helping hand.

This weapon will take YEARS TO MAKE for fuck's sake.
The GDP angle is already utter bullshit in view of the ability of every single nation to compete with equally high technology and start up space programs at the drop of a hat while having no more then 1.5 trillion.
WHAT? :roll: Russia has 1,9 trillion and it has a huge space programme. Brazil has 2 trillion and it likewise has one. Hell, fucking Pakistan (my GDP equivalent) has most of it's fucking population in Africa-like conditions and extreme poverty) and it wields fucking ICBMs whcih are similar to the simplistic Soviet payload launchers.

The expenses for a 1,5 trillion nation would be around 200-300 billion (unless it's far more command than even the late USSR probably).

Pakistan expends around 30 billion, Poland - 70 billion - I presume I spend around the same, in the range of 20-100 billion.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

About advanced Navies and Army: that's presumably what's given off hand by an Act of God. But if you don't have the economy to support it, your army will kick the bucket over the next several years.

This would actually be important for making huge national pacts to support the military hardware.

And make the smaller nations choose Jets simpler to maintan and procure, or align with a bloc powerful enough to support F-22 operative in member countries.

for example, a Kingdom with F-22s will find it's airforce reduced to rust over the next few years.

And space programmes: the USSR, India, Pakistan, Brazil started space programmes with GDP being ridiculously SMALL. It's quite sure that were those states having a modern XX century infrastructure and a 0,5-1,5 trillion GDP, it would be pretty easy to make a space programme.

Rough lines on what you could have:
1,5 trillion
Generally: 250-500 billion overall expense
Generally: 25-50 billion military expenditures
750 billion
Generally: 100-350 billion overall expense (up to 50% GDP)
Generally: 10-25 billion military expenditures
400 billion
Generally: 100-200 billion overall expense possible (up to 50% GDP)
Generally: 5-10 billion military expenditures
60 billion
Generally: 10-30 billion overall expense (up to 50% GDP)
Generally: 0,5-1 billion military expenditures
6 billion
Generally: 1-3 billion overall expense (up to 50% GDP)
Generally: 0,1-0,5 billion military expenditures
The more or less okay proportions for military spending, more or less, would have over 60% spend on maintenance/pay, while the other 30-40% is spent on production/aquisition of new weapons and R&D, the R&D being between 10 and 20% of overall military spending.
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2008-04-08 06:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'm probably gonna get fucked. I can't math right!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

Heh, I guess I can expand my military a bit then :lol:
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Shroom Man 777
Look at my OOB. It's exactly double that of Great Britain - but far less than that of Russia (for Imperiums). The GB OOB could be found on wiki easily.

Basically, what this means: all projects are open to you (even the freaking Space Shuttle) but you'll have to remmber that your overall military spending in peacetime is around 10-30 billin (you'd probably be going ovedraft and into public debt because of fucking SYNDROMIA, like i do)...

The R&D is therefore around 2-6 billion USD - that's a crapload of money to choose from, so projects costing that much could be allocated the money in the course of a single year ;) the Shuttle, you could build (if doing no other R&D and slightly straning your economy with militarization) - in around 3 years, meaning you could ANNOUNCE the great SPACE SHUTTLE in early May.

For something that only plans exist for, like Sub Carrier, you'd probably take a few more years to work out the details, and ship construction is in general very timely. So probably a maiden vessel could arrive in June - it would be around 6-7 years - again, if you spend on it like mad :D
Decue wrote:Heh, I guess I can expand my military a bit then
Yes, you could ;) the mighty OMSK Pact is ever willing to trade arms with friendly and peaceful nations ;) wanna place an order for some Hinds from me? ;) :lol:

Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

OTOH Syndromia is way smaller than Iraq. Goddamn we have to GTFO of Syndromia, man! Leave it to Zor, he WANTS that crap-hole :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Goddamn we have to GTFO of Syndromia, man!
I know Shroom.

I've been pushing for a joint APCS conference and if we can assemble (at least you me Pezook and Zor) and accept Zor's plan, we can disengage over the next month (meaning tomorrow our mighty armed forces will get the shit o... I mean leave the recovering nation and be free to pursue other goals.

I've even contacted an D netter on the matter if he is willing to pose as a promising Syndromia nationalist politician and take over it in a sweep of elections ;) however, the one I chose did not reply.

As for economic shit, this is very simple: most real world shit has cost in dollars or convertible currency so it's easy to know how much and what will take. Important for trade.
OTOH Syndromia is way smaller than Iraq.
Way smaller:
An Island/Island chain with 35,000 square kilometers
-Population: 2.5 Million first world, 5 million second world
-A military with 15,000-30,000 personel with a couple of jet fighters, a dozen or so APCs and other light AFVs and a pair of Halifax-class frigate to go along with a fleet of patrol ships
-Able to meat local food demands, as well as having some local manufacuring of consumer goods and resource export, GDP $62,500,000,000 USD per year
It's like Finland or Kosovo, more like.

So I say yes, we get the fuck out from the modern Kosovo analogue.

I'm sure PeZook would support this COA - after all Syndromia has gotten better IU, and as it's as small as Kosovo it's not as bas as IRAQ. Well, I guess we just made a Kosovo IU :lol:

Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Buddha wanted a nation. I say we convert Syndromia to Buddhism.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Call Buddha up.

Those Buddhist monks can be uppity as Burma and Tibet have shown, they can take up a natin to rule :D. Tere are also Buddhists in Qudlivun, so probably Syndromia could become their nation.

Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I recall the King of Triol has had talks with Buddha regarding giving him a plot of land....

On that note, Triol's avatar really fits with his game-style in the RAR!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Pity Tiriola doesn't have a map still.

For those procuring weapons at startup, a little math:
Annual F-22 Raptor operation and maintenance cost is 4,4 million USD per unit (top contractor estimate)

This means a cost of 1,32 billion USD per year for a 300 unit strong Raptor fleet - given a 10-25 billion military expenditures for a Tsardom, this is tolerable. Kingdoms, Tsardoms and Imperiums have modern Arms Industries, whic allows them to support their machinery. The gist is that the militaries are well capable of supporting themselves without pressuring the economy.

I see that the proportion is kept for smaller nations. However, with smaller nations the situation is the following, Principalities and Duchies lack the industry to support such machinery as they lack a modern arms industry per the OP.

This means, like in real world, that beyond initial Q-continuum Military Tech Procurement, those small nations will have to outsource the support of advanced hardware (and pay other nations in cash for it) or face deterioration of equipment during 1-1,5 Fiscal Years.

ECSOC transmission out

Assalti Frontali
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I'm probably gonna get fucked. I can't math right!
Yeah, that's the conclusiont that I came to. ;)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Yeah... in light of that, can someone help me pen my military (Stas? anyone?)?

I'm really new to this whole STGOD business, I don't even know what that acronym means. And I wasn't expecting any hard number-crunching until this game got all SRS BSNSS (serious business). Way to go, guys :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stas Bush wrote: It's like Finland or Kosovo, more like.

So I say yes, we get the fuck out from the modern Kosovo analogue.
Oh, fuck yeah. I need some procurement cash to support my missile defence system, dammit!

Not to mention the little matter of actually building up a real industrial base...
Stas Bush wrote:I'm sure PeZook would support this COA - after all Syndromia has gotten better IU, and as it's as small as Kosovo it's not as bas as IRAQ. Well, I guess we just made a Kosovo IU :lol:
Well, to be honest, Syndromia wasn't even very "war ravaged". It was a principality, which means the entire "war" was probably a single airstrike against its mighty two-frigate navy, and then invasion and conquest. So most damage would've been caused by a breakdown of civil authority and the goddamned libertopians coming in to stir shit up ;)

So, in universe, Syndromia is probably way better off than Kosovo, with its ethnic cleansing and years of civil war and shit, and comparing it to Iraq is just...wrong :D

We can probably GTFO, sign deals to let us install radar stations there and leave it in competent hands, and it won't be too bad off, IMHO. Just let them have a goddamned military so that they can fight off the libertopians.

If you noticed, I have agreed to a conference and event sent invites right after "VANAHEIM HAMMERTIME".
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I don't know shit about STGOD personally but I will pen your military Shroom. I'll do that when I get some rest from work, as well as prop up a new version of the map.

Number crunching has always been part of the game (Shep calculated rough estimates for military strength of alliances waaay back early in the thread) ;)

Another proposal (which all would agree is not a proposal but basic sanity):
Wielding different military hardware (Russian, European, American) has consequences:

1) expenditures for mishmash airforce or AFV park maintenance rise 50% than if it were a standartized force due to the need of keeping rather different military industry sectors and lack of common standard
2) the Military Industrial Sector size rises 10% to 100% percent depending on the mishmash force composition; consequently, takes up a larger fraction of economy and employs more people - no precise penning for it required unless lots of time on hands though
Also, I'll establish a true neutral zone for all SD Nations later, you'll see that on the map ;)

Cheers, I'm gone for a few hours more

Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Goddamn I love VANAHEIM HAMMERTIME.

Uh, dudes, is having a precise headcount of militaristic number-crunching that vital? Or can I just say, like "I have a Medium-Sized military with a mix of US, European and Russian aircraft"?

EDIT:

Ah fuck. I'm probably gonna standardize mine to US-specs then.
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on 2008-04-08 08:33am, edited 1 time in total.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Yeah... in light of that, can someone help me pen my military (Stas? anyone?)?

I'm really new to this whole STGOD business, I don't even know what that acronym means. And I wasn't expecting any hard number-crunching until this game got all SRS BSNSS (serious business). Way to go, guys :P
Heh :D

It's actually pretty fun if you have to squeeze in order to fit your budget.

I can help you a bit. Whatddya need?
Uh, dudes, is having a precise headcount of militaristic number-crunching that vital? Or can I just say, like "I have a Medium-Sized military with a mix of US, European and Russian aircraft"?
Personally,I don't think it's that necessary. I settled for listing my large units and major naval ships, and you probably should've an estimate on amount of aircraft.

I vote for letting Shroom keep his subs, though. They're bloody hilarious :D

Oh, and I loved VH too. My guys were so fucking badass!

"They informed us the pirates were dispatched without incident"
Last edited by PeZook on 2008-04-08 08:35am, edited 2 times in total.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well... I'll try seeing if I can compute my stuff together by myself, but help would be appreciated.

I think I'm gonna settle with standardizing mine to US-spec weapons. Even a few F-22s :twisted:

I just need to figure out the proportions of what # of aircraft of what type. Gah.

Oh, and as for Syndromia, my latest alliterative Sovereign Shroomanian Sentinel news-post indicates that they've found religion :lol:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

i'm currently making an economics guide so short from now (a day or two) nations should no longer have much of a problem estimating military and civilian project costs :)

I must say I really loved this game so I'll put some initial input into it so that it works smoothly (it won't be 100% foolproof, but some realworld knowledge kicked up into the rules would probably greatly help and further problems would get solved a lot easier)

Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It would help that we put more emphasis on the "fun" part, the diplomacy and the saber-rattling and the supervillain monologues and the parliament fist-fights and the shoe-slamming rather than number-crunching hyperthyroid militarism 'cause so far, it's been pretty fun :wink:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

i'm currently making an economics guide so short from now (a day or two) nations should no longer have much of a problem estimating military and civilian project costs Smile
That would be greatly appreciated. :D

I am new to this STGOD(Acronym???) business and running a country, so if anyone notices me doing something beyond my capabilities, just let me know and I'll change it.
Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

DarthShady wrote: I am new to this STGOD(Acronym???) business and running a country, so if anyone notices me doing something beyond my capabilities, just let me know and I'll change it.
Just think that you are running so third world shithole with some cash, that what I do ;)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:It would help that we put more emphasis on the "fun" part, the diplomacy and the saber-rattling and the supervillain monologues and the parliament fist-fights and the shoe-slamming rather than number-crunching hyperthyroid militarism 'cause so far, it's been pretty fun :wink:
Oh, come on. I just took my GDP, assumed I get to spend 10% of it, then assumed 10% of that is military spending. Voila.

It's not that important to know exactly how many rifles you have in your army (or even planes,for that matter) - I just make sure that what I deploy is somewhat realistic and plausible, to avoid things like the goddamned Shadow Empire making fucking atomic cannons and nuclear submarines and ICBMs and launching satellites and...

Me and Stas simply love number porn. He's even more hardcore than me: he actually keeps track of his national debt.

I'm an economist, though - and I think he is too, which explains it all ;)

Besides, practicing basic division is going to do you only good ;)