EmbracerOfDarkness whines about Q(Split from PSW)

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Moderator: Moderators

Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

Surlethe wrote:In suspension of disbelief, it doesn't matter how outlandish they are; those are the characteristics we associate with Jedi, because that's what Jedi do.
I know that this is the wrong forum and I expect people to "lash out" at this post because it's true, but it's so funny how certain people will say this about one particular franchise where other people (including prominent board members) will say the utter opposite about something like "The Q" from Star Trek. :roll:
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Embracer Of Darkness wrote:
Surlethe wrote:In suspension of disbelief, it doesn't matter how outlandish they are; those are the characteristics we associate with Jedi, because that's what Jedi do.
I know that this is the wrong forum and I expect people to "lash out" at this post because it's true, but it's so funny how certain people will say this about one particular franchise where other people (including prominent board members) will say the utter opposite about something like "The Q" from Star Trek. :roll:
Evidence and quotes, please.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Embracer Of Darkness

Surlethe wrote:
Evidence and quotes, please.
Don't worry, one of said members will be along shortly to "put me in my place" by proving my point exactly.

I can't be bothered to dig up a quote, but the most clear example I can think of is when people around here tend to fight tooth and nail trying to prove that Q is in fact using some form of hidden, advanced technologies to do the things that he does, and like I said someone will be along shortly to confirm that.

I should point out that I am not denying such, just that people around here tend to be choosey about which abilities are too realistic and which are not, so don't expect anybody to agree that the prequel trilogy stunts are unrealistic.
Darth Cronos the Proud
Youngling

Post by Darth Cronos the Proud »

Embracer Of Darkness wrote:I can't be bothered to dig up a quote...
Can't be bothered, or just can't find one?
but the most clear example I can think of is when people around here tend to fight tooth and nail trying to prove that Q is in fact using some form of hidden, advanced technologies to do the things that he does.
Clear? How about a user name, how about a link to the thead you have in mind?

It seems to me that the only thing that I've seen is where someone might (and I say might because I only vaugly remember) have said that it was a possibility.

Clear in your head maybe.
"It is much safer to be feared than loved, when, of the two, either must be dispensed with." Niccolo Machiavelli

"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Embracer of Darkness wrote:Don't worry, one of said members will be along shortly to "put me in my place" by proving my point exactly.
Excuse me, but this whole "The Man is keeping me down" attitude is kind of silly. Nobody is going to put you in your place, but if your claims are unsound, they'll be summarily be dissected and shown for what they are.
You should know by now that evidence and logic are prized on this board.
Embracer of Darkness wrote:I can't be bothered to dig up a quote, but the most clear example I can think of is when people around here tend to fight tooth and nail trying to prove that Q is in fact using some form of hidden, advanced technologies to do the things that he does, and like I said someone will be along shortly to confirm that.

I should point out that I am not denying such, just that people around here tend to be choosey about which abilities are too realistic and which are not, so don't expect anybody to agree that the prequel trilogy stunts are unrealistic.
Unrealistic? Perhaps you are unclear on the concept of SoD?
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Embracer Of Darkness wrote:Don't worry, one of said members will be along shortly to "put me in my place" by proving my point exactly.
If by 'Put you in your place', you mean 'mock your bullshit conspiracy theories and lies, then explain the actual events', sure, I'll do that.
I can't be bothered to dig up a quote,

Which really does say so much it's not necessary to go on. But I will.
but the most clear example I can think of is when people around here tend to fight tooth and nail trying to prove that Q is in fact using some form of hidden, advanced technologies to do the things that he does, and like I said someone will be along shortly to confirm that.
That's one of the competing theories, and whether you like it or not, it's undeniable(By any honest debator) that Q and his powers are identical to scaled up Treknology, lending considerable weight to the theory.

What you are lying about here, of course, is what people fight 'tooth and nail' against: The extrapolate-to-infinity tactic given for every single Q incident by wankers.
And after refusing to back up his claims(Knowing that by actually showing the debates, he'd look like a moron), casting claims of conspiracy and silencing, he now declares bias.

Typical apologist BS, really. Continue this tangent and I will be happy to remove it from PURE STAR WARS because it has zip, zilch, zero to do with Star Wars.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Embracer Of Darkness

Darth Cronos the Proud wrote:
Can't be bothered, or just can't find one? / Clear? How about a user name, how about a link to the thead you have in mind?
How about Darth Wong himself? Care to STFU now, feel free to ask him.

As for "waah waah man getting me down conspiracy theory," Cyk, I'm simply stating a fact. I'm not pro trek, I don't feel "subjugated," I'm just wondering why this attitude is neccessary with some franchises and not others.

I see we have one struck nerve already. ^
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Can't be bothered, or just can't find one? / Clear? How about a user name, how about a link to the thead you have in mind?

As for "waah waah man getting me down conspiracy theory," Cyk, I'm simply stating a fact. I'm not pro trek, I don't feel "subjugated," I'm just wondering why this attitude is neccessary with some franchises and not others.

I see we have an unrepent troll who thinks he's clever for baiting moderators by violating rules.

And away this thread goes!
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Sorry little man, but that's not gonna fly. You've been here long enough to know that if you claim something back that shit up, if you can't be bothered click the fucking red X in the top right corner of your browser. Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me isn't gonna cut the mustard junior.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

How praytell does Q using Advanced Tech violate Suspension of Disbelief which is the point you responded to at the top of this thread? Surlethe mentions that Jedi feats have to be looked at in terms of suspension of disbelief since there are no other explanations other than stated in universe explantion of Force usage.

Q on the other hand using advanced technology not only offers a valid explanation that does not violate SOD but also is supported by IN UNIVERSE examples such as Q weapons in the Q and the Grey. Absolutely NO EVIDENCE for Jedi using advanced tech in or out of universe exists.

Please take your bullshit elsewhere.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Darth Cronos the Proud
Youngling

Embracer Of Darkness wrote:How about Darth Wong himself? Care to STFU now, feel free to ask him.
If you can furnish me with a thread or quote that he "fights tooth and nail" to prove it instead of just giving evidence that it's a more valid explination than "he's an omnipowerful being" that trekkie dipshits like you can point to as an erroneous reason ST would win over an opponent that is extremely more powerful instead of being a trolling ass hat, then I'll gladly concede the point, but until then, maybe you should STFU!
"It is much safer to be feared than loved, when, of the two, either must be dispensed with." Niccolo Machiavelli

"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Now, now all we have is angry dickless boy who's angry that Mike has in his sig about this dumbfuck's particular belief in Russian Roulette.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

To be fair, it was somewhat taken out of context. It doesn't make his jackassery any less hilarious, though. :D
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Embracer Of Darkness wrote:Don't worry, one of said members will be along shortly to "put me in my place" by proving my point exactly.
I don't see evidence and quotes.
I can't be bothered to dig up a quote, but the most clear example I can think of is when people around here tend to fight tooth and nail trying to prove that Q is in fact using some form of hidden, advanced technologies to do the things that he does, and like I said someone will be along shortly to confirm that.
I don't see why not to deny Q omnipotent powers in favor of technology.
What does assigning technology to Q have to do with realism? Nobody denies he does the things he does onscreen.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

wolveraptor wrote:To be fair, it was somewhat taken out of context. It doesn't make his jackassery any less hilarious, though. :D
I wouldn't really say that was a quote out of context. He repeatedly stated that he felt that russian roulette was reckless, but not stupid. It's not in any way changing his position: that putting a loaded gun to your head and pulling the trigger is not a stupid act. That he qualifies it as something else instead doesn't change that fact. To put it another way, if I were to say "I don't think it's wrong to beat your wife, but I don't think it's a good idea," it wouldn't be out of context for anyone to quote the first half of the sentence because the idea is nevertheless true. However, if someone clipped it out of this post and used it, it'd be out of context, because I'm obviously using it as an example and not advocating the idea of wife-beating.
Chuck

wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

Sonnenburg wrote:However, if someone clipped it out of this post and used it, it'd be out of context, because I'm obviously using it as an example and not advocating the idea of wife-beating.
Thank you oh so very much :lol:
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

You posted around the board with that in your signature, you fucking idiot.

"By deliberately taking quotes out of context in order to slander people (in his fucking sig, no less!), he has not only broken the rules of the board but he has also committed an act of criminal defamatory libel." -Admiral Kanos
Chuck

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Wolveraptor - remove that sig immediately. It is in violation of policy, in poor taste and only someone involved in this thread would even 'get it'. I will be putting on my Admin hat shortly if no action is taken on this order.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

And just as a demonstration of how completely out of whack it is in comparison:

EoD vs Mike:
If you can't see that I clearly answered your question, then you shouldn't be worried about my brain cells. The answer, to spell it out for you (even thought I shouldn't have to got a non-drinker supposedly as intelligent and godlike as you), was that I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act, but I believe it is a reckless act.
Bolded the statement to show that Mike took a part but did not in any way miscontrue the statement, while Wolveraptor's:
I wouldn't really say that was a quote out of context. He repeatedly stated that he felt that russian roulette was reckless, but not stupid. It's not in any way changing his position: that putting a loaded gun to your head and pulling the trigger is not a stupid act. That he qualifies it as something else instead doesn't change that fact. To put it another way, if I were to say "I don't think it's wrong to beat your wife, but I don't think it's a good idea," it wouldn't be out of context for anyone to quote the first half of the sentence because the idea is nevertheless true. However, if someone clipped it out of this post and used it, it'd be out of context, because I'm obviously using it as an example and not advocating the idea of wife-beating.
Might as well have a sig about Dalton fucking a dog completely out of context. :roll:
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

There is also the small matter of the Q being secretive about the nature of their abilities, contrast this with the detailed look we get at Jedi training in action, so SOD for Jedi using the Force is not comprable to the deceptive shenannigains of the Q.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Darth Cronos the Proud
Youngling

Stravo wrote:How praytell does Q using Advanced Tech violate Suspension of Disbelief which is the point you responded to at the top of this thread?
The worst thing is that you can't even say this is the result of unscientific training. I was trained as a historian (by far one of the furthest degrees from scientific you can get IMO) but even I know that if you see something happen, you can't call it "unrealistic." Christ! This is just a result of EoD being mentally retarded.

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Ghost Rider wrote:Bolded the statement to show that Mike took a part but did not in any way miscontrue the statement, while Wolveraptor's:
Might as well have a sig about Dalton fucking a dog completely out of context. :roll:
I don't want to harp on this, but I do want to say that I add the last sentence to my original post ("However, if someone...") because I assume that people are so stupid they need this pointed out to them. That someone had it pointed out to them and still did it just goes to show that my low standards clearly aren't low enough.
Chuck

wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

I apologize. It was merely in jest. I see that it's already been removed though. I agree that it was out of bounds.

wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

I'd also like to add that I did in fact read the part of Sonnenburg's post where he mentioned that doing what I did would be a textbook example of an out of context quote. That was the entire reason I chose to do it. The juxtaposition to me seemed a somewhat humorous. I certainly did not intend to to insult or denigrate Sonnenburg. Again, I apologize for my actions - I hadn't slept well and really didn't think clearly. :oops: :banghead:

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

I'm not upset that I was quoted out of context; Lord knows Darkstar's pulled that enough times to create a mental callous. What does concern me greatly is that anyone who visited the board between 12:48 AM and whenever the signature was pulled that saw any post that you had ever made anywhere on the board were told in large print that I condone domestic violence. There's nearly three thousand registered members, plus however many people who just lurk. So what concerns me is that seven years of trying to be a decent human being in this online community has been sullied by the image of me applauding men who beat their wives. It's not that it happened, it's the damage that is my only real concern.
Chuck