[Blackwing] Training...pshaw

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Moderator: Moderators

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Blackwing wrote:And Knife, I'm not the one that dodges the point here. To quote myself:
me wrote:You don't seem to realise the difference between learning and being trained. The difference being that learning is the acquiring of information, while training is the implanting of a certain automatic, reflexive reaction to certain specific stimulus directly into a person or animal, generally through repeatedly applying the stimulus and then punishing an incorrect reaction and/or rewarding the correct reaction.
Congradulations, you've now moved on to the difference between a skill and knowledge. Both, btw, would be considered LEARNING.

I realize it's a lost cause at this point, but damn.
Oh and stop calling me a moron, I asked politely, now I'm telling you.
:roll:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Darth Wong wrote:
Blackwing wrote:Not at all. As you will note I said that (paraphrasing here) when training overrides instinct in such a way that it endangers survivl, then this is a stupid trait.
You're an idiot. By this logic, a human soldier is dumber than an animal. And yes, soldiers are trained rather than educated; the military training process relies on repetition in order to overcome natural reactions.
As a side note on this issue, to bring up some classical warfare, keeping in formation in Greek or even Roman battlelines was 'training' and thus as per numbnuts, not advantageous.

However, historically, those that broke formation, and thus either destroyed the formation and/or were just defending themselves as they fleed, were easily cut down by enemy forces.

Over coming natual instinct (in this case to flee) was paramount to survival in ancient formation/shieldwall tactics, and calling it 'mere training' was still superior to 'natual instinct' in that kind of warfare.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Dang it, you both gave about how I was going to rebuttle his "trainablity = stupidity" stuff and then nuked him before I had a chance to do either! Curse your quick draw, Mr. Wong! :x
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete