Anyone ever played Halo?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Anyone ever played Halo?

Post by Mr. B »

:D I loved this game. :D The story line has new scifi universe written all over it. There is already a book out based on the game.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Yeaaaaah....But.....I liked Marathon's storyline better.
Kosh_The_Vorlon
Youngling

Post by Kosh_The_Vorlon »

Yes, awesome game..I've always wondered how the Covenant would fare against the Federation :twisted:

(Incidentally, did anyone notice how huge the PoA really is?? And it's considered pathetically small compared to the newer Earth warships like the Marathon-class cruisers.. :shock:)
There is no God.
But it does not matter.
Man is enough.
Edna St. Vincent Milay, Conversation at Midnight

There will never be a resolution in the evolution vs creationism debate because neither side can conclusively prove that they are right. The creationists can't prove that they're right becuase they're not, and the evolutionists can't prove that they're right because the creationists are too damn stupid to listen.
HemlockGrey
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I played it on my friend's x-box, it rocked!
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Ive played it on my buddy's X-box. It was originally intended for a PC release before Microsoft aquirred Bungie.

Im hoping it eventually comes out for the PC. Playing to split screen on a TV is too hard on my eyes.

But otherwise its a fine shooter.
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

I would live to see a red shirt try and fight a Elite in hand to hand combat.
That elite would be laughing at his mangled corpse in seconds.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

MagicHateBall
Youngling

Post by MagicHateBall »

Redshirts vs. Hunters. :lol:
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Mr. B wrote:I would live to see a red shirt try and fight a Elite in hand to hand combat.
That elite would be laughing at his mangled corpse in seconds.
:roll:

Probably would laugh at all unarmed humans........
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

But the Elites are smarter and would take more pleasure out of killing redshirts.

Legalize It!

MagicHateBall
Youngling

Post by MagicHateBall »

True. Especially the ones with the energy swords. Those're nasty.
OOM94539
Redshirt

Post by OOM94539 »

It'd be interesting to see Grunts fighting Redshirts. Hey, they even have the same colour schemes. 0_o (Red/Yellow). Realistically, Covenant plasma weapons should burn right through Starfleet uniforms (unless polyester's a lot stronger in the future), but who knows. Maybe a grunt will forget to duck, get a plasma grenade stuck on him, and end the battle prematurely. :shock:

MagicHateBall
Youngling

Post by MagicHateBall »

You're forgetting the black grunts. They appear first on Keyes, I believe, and they're toting a fuel rod gun. But that might be just a *little* overkill.
OOM94539
Redshirt

Post by OOM94539 »

Well, it's rare to see enough Starfleet security personnel together to constitute the use of a fuel rod gun. Starfleet doesn't have a standing army, and most of their combat troops will be security teams led by high ranking bridge personnel.

MagicHateBall
Youngling

Post by MagicHateBall »

True, and it definatly wouldn't be present in a boarding situation.

Guess I just like that gun a little too much. :D
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

1little grunt runs up to red shirt
red shirt greets grunt with "We mean you no harm little creature."
grunt sticks plasma grenade to redshirts crotch
grunt runs away yelling with that shrill voice
redshirt tries to get in off but blows him in two

2.grunt runs up to stormtrooper
stormtrooper shoots grunt in head and kicks body repeatedly
blue blood stains white armor
commander is pissed at troopers appearance

Legalize It!

SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Incidentally, did anyone notice how huge the PoA really is??
Scaling up from the size of the bridge in the intro scene and the "And The Horse You Rode In On..." cutscene made it seem like she was barely 800 meters long. However, the final level indicates that she is at the very least 2.5 kilometers in length... probably closer to 3.
The Great and Malignant
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: Anyone ever played Halo?

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I want to play it, some day, on the PC
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
OOM94539
Redshirt

Post by OOM94539 »

True, and it definatly wouldn't be present in a boarding situation.
On the contrary. Several of the Spec Ops grunt that boarded the Pillar of Autum's remains had Fuel Rod guns with them. And they also dropped in Shade stationary guns along the route the Warthog takes. Plus there are the Hunters, which have fuel rod guns attached and were also present in the Pillar of Autumn in the end. So we know that fuel rod guns are used in CQB situations (albeit their effectiveness is dubious). Considering that the Covenant were still deploying troops to the PoA via dropships (as seen during MC's Wild Warhog Ride), the possibility that it was a boarding situation to take the PoA away from the Flood is likely. Then again, it may have just been a leftover static defense force since the Covenant had already taken the PoA.

Oh yes, and Halo is coming out in a year (Summer 2003), so don't worry Shadow....not too long to wait.

Did anyone try getting a scale of the Truth and Reconciliation cruiser?

SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

The only way I could think of to scale the T&R is to see if you can get a glimpse of the gravity lift's attachment point to the underside of its hull.... from there, you just need to scale the size of the lift's landing point on the ground.
The Great and Malignant
MagicHateBall
Youngling

Post by MagicHateBall »

OOM94539 wrote: On the contrary. Several of the Spec Ops grunt that boarded the Pillar of Autum's remains had Fuel Rod guns with them.
True, but no FRGs were present on Pillar of Autumn (first level), which was a boarding situation in space. On the POA's remains, you didn't have to worry about vacuum being on the other side of that bulkhead. :D
Kosh_The_Vorlon
Youngling

MagicHateBall wrote:
OOM94539 wrote: On the contrary. Several of the Spec Ops grunt that boarded the Pillar of Autum's remains had Fuel Rod guns with them.
True, but no FRGs were present on Pillar of Autumn (first level), which was a boarding situation in space. On the POA's remains, you didn't have to worry about vacuum being on the other side of that bulkhead. :D
Well, IIRC, only the Spec-Ops grunts carried the Fuel Rod Cannons (I refuse to call those guns), and none of the Spec-Op groups were present in that boarding op..Cortana does mention that they sent in the Spec-Ops group to deal with the Flood and the TaR away from the HALO..They may have also headed over to the PoA to prevent the Flood from gaining control of it (it's what I'd do in the same situation)..
There is no God.
But it does not matter.
Man is enough.

There will never be a resolution in the evolution vs creationism debate because neither side can conclusively prove that they are right. The creationists can't prove that they're right becuase they're not, and the evolutionists can't prove that they're right because the creationists are too damn stupid to listen.
HemlockGrey
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Why waste Spec. Ops troops on marines.

They only brought them out because of the Flood and the Master Chief :D and they still lost.

Legalize It!

Kosh_The_Vorlon
Youngling

Mr. B wrote:Why waste Spec. Ops troops on marines.

They only brought them out because of the Flood and the Master Chief :D and they still lost.
I was just pointing out why the Fuel Rod Cannon wasn't seen in the first level..That, and it would have been blatantly unfair for the player..
There is no God.
But it does not matter.
Man is enough.

HemlockGrey
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

It would have been pretty hard. Especcialy when you don't know they blow up after you kill the grunt. And the chain reaction of grenades makesit a death trap.

Legalize It!

Kosh_The_Vorlon
Youngling

Mr. B wrote:It would have been pretty hard. Especcialy when you don't know they blow up after you kill the grunt. And the chain reaction of grenades makesit a death trap.
That self destruct function would have been darned inconvenient for me if I hadn't learned to stay away from all Covenant tech that spews out colored flame/gas :wink:
There is no God.
But it does not matter.
Man is enough.

HemlockGrey