More Planet Killers - Trying to remain focused

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Morat
Padawan Learner

More Planet Killers - Trying to remain focused

Post by Morat »

We've had a couple of discussions reguarding the planet killer page already, but I'm hoping this one will be a bit more focused.

Basically, the idea is to stay within the bounds of the entries on the official planet killer essay. For your convenience, the stated limits for inclusion on the planet killer page are:
Mike Wong's Planet Killer Essay wrote:
  • No obscure sci-fi universes based on novels, comics, animes, computer games, etc. If you want something to be included, tell the author to convert it into a popular movie or TV show and then get back to me. And yes, I'm also excluding computer games based on TV shows and movies; such games are designed for playability and entertainment, not accuracy to the source material.
  • No "godlike beings". This page is about weapons, not demigods. I don't really care about how your favourite demigod could destroy a world with the power of his mind. As an aside, I have noted that people often assume a "godlike being" (such as Q) must be capable of destroying a planet even though we've never seen him do anything remotely approaching this. They seem all too willing to make the unfounded leap in logic from "does things I don't understand" to "omnipotent".
  • No great swarms or fleets of ships. Virtually anything can theoretically depopulate a planet given enough sheer numbers (even buckets of water). A planet-killer (singular, not plural) is a single object, ship, or weapon.
So, I'm primarily thinking of Farscape, Stargate: SG1, Andromeda, and most movie universes here. If you've got other ideas that fit into those guidelines, feel free to post it.

In addition, it would be good if we could follow the basic format of the original essay:
1. Name
2. Concept
3. Known Effects (including an energy estimate, if possible)

Well, I hope others find this thread interesting. I'll post a couple of entries soon.

One other thing...

Mr. Wong: Is there any possibility of the Planet Killer page being updated in the future? Not neccessarily with entries generated by this thread, of course. Either way, I really enjoyed that essay. In fact, I think that the recent series of essays (brain bugs, the nanotech myth, and planet killers) is an excellent addition to the page, and I hope we can look forward to more of that sort of thing in the future.
Renewed_Valour1
Padawan Learner

Re: More Planet Killers - Trying to remain focused

Post by Renewed_Valour1 »

Where is this page? I can't seem to find it.... When I know it is most likely right under my nose.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: More Planet Killers - Trying to remain focused

Post by Eleas »

"Where is this page? I can't seem to find it.... When I know it is most likely right under my nose."

Essays section, I believe.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Morat
Padawan Learner

Post by Morat »

Planet Killer

Name
Relativistic Impactor (Most Sci-Fi)

Concept
The idea is simple: Take a ship, asteroid, or other projectile (or multiple projectiles), accelerate it to a significant fraction of light-speed, and let it smash into a planet.

Although the fact is often overlooked, almost any civilization capable of producing ships that can travel interestellar distances would have little trouble depopulating a planet. The cost in fuel might pose a problem if the civilization is very low tech in that area compared to what we typically see in sci-fi. However, it will almost certainly be less significant than the enemy's loss of a planet.

Generally speaking, the impactor will be much less massive than a typical planet-killing asteroid, but it will be moving much faster.

Known Effects
The effects will be similar to those expected of an asteroid impact. The amount of energy delivered (and thus the precise effects) will vary according to the mass and velocity of the impactor. In addition, the projectile may be carrying an explosive warhead in addition to its kinetic energy.

The most reasonable amount of energy to deliver with such a weapon (if it is intended as a planet killer) would range from 1E7 to 1E9 megatons.

Planet Destroyer

Name
Nova Bomb (Andromeda)

Concept
By inverting or nullifying the gravity in certain targets (such as stars and planets), the target can be induced to violently decompress.

Known Effects
When used against a star, massive devestation will occur to its entire solar system, largely due to the highly energetic ejecta that the star would release. Hitting a planet will cause that planet to rapidly increase in size, destroying everything on the surface with what amounts to a ground quake of unimaginable proportions. The planet may well break up entirely.

It has also been used against black holes. However, the massive amount of gravity commanded by a typical black hole requires multiple nova bomb detonations to nullify. The loss of gravity causes the singularity to explosively break down into a more stable form of matter and energy. The effect is highly dangerous to anything nearby.

Unfortunately, the mechanisms of the nova bomb are so exotic that it would be difficult or impossible to determine the amount of energy needed for the process.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Name: Little Doctor

Concept: Not a anti-planet weapon completly since it is usually used against ships. Basically breaks apart an object into molocules (or atoms) And works on a chain reaction. Bigger the object, the more it works.

Known Effects: Destroys planets and fleets since it kinda jumps from ship to ship. Ender used it in against I think 1000 ships. Outnumbered and outgunned, he attacked the planet the ships were at, destroying it with his Little Doctor weapons, and the surronding fleet.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

GAThrawn: I presume youre talking about the MD Device from Ender's Game yes? :) What was the original meaning of the MD in MD Device?
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

He is

BTW Does MST3K count? :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kosh_The_Vorlon
Youngling

Post by Kosh_The_Vorlon »

The bad guy's ship in MIIB blew away five planets in the opening, with varying effects..One was turned into electricity, one shattered like ice, one imploded, and I believe the other two exploded. The ship causing this was about 1.5 feet tall. :lol:
There is no God.
But it does not matter.
Man is enough.
Edna St. Vincent Milay, Conversation at Midnight

There will never be a resolution in the evolution vs creationism debate because neither side can conclusively prove that they are right. The creationists can't prove that they're right becuase they're not, and the evolutionists can't prove that they're right because the creationists are too damn stupid to listen.
HemlockGrey
The Episiarch
Redshirt

The MD device

Post by The Episiarch »

The MD stands for 'Molecular Deconstruction'. It was the MD Device, also known as Dr. Device (a joke that Ender did not find amusing) and subsequently, its name was turned into 'The Little Doctor'.[/quote]
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Best. Planetkiller. Ever.