The Orville: Season 2

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

The Orville: Season 2

Post by Alferd Packer »

So, the new season of The Orville premiered tonight in the US. Without spoiling it too badly for those in other markets, I will say the following:
  • This episode was actually part of the original block ordered by Fox--it was deliberately held back due to scheduling issues. It was filmed probably about 18 months ago.
  • This is a "bottle episode." It is very clear that the show spent their budget for the season and need to fill the order for thirteen episodes with the existing sets and characters--with one notable exception.Spoiler
    That being Jason Alexander as a...dinosaur bartender.
  • As a season premiere, it's probably a bad choice to start a season. Nothing really happens. But then again, it's probably a worse choice to end a season. I could reasonably see it serving as an "And The Adventure Continues" kind of denouement, had the show not been renewed, and in that respect, I understand the motivation postponing it a year, in addition the practical considerations above.
  • Those flaws considered, the episode does serve as a refresher about the characters and their lives aboard the ship.
All that said, I wasn't disappointed. It was the same Orville I found myself enjoying last year. Will it make a must-watch list in some hypothetical future? Absolutely not. But I'm certainly excited for the upcoming episodes.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: The Orville: Season 2

Post by Rogue 9 »

They introduced a bunch of new characters, not just the bartender. We'll see how many are persistent.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, are drivebys considered a normal thing for ex-boyfriends to just do? That's a new one on me.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, this episode is really not my cup of tea.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-01-01 06:45pm So, are drivebys considered a normal thing for ex-boyfriends to just do? That's a new one on me.
If you're talking "Drive-by sexual encounter", it depends on the ex, on how well the relationship ended, and if the female is open to the idea of an occasional quickie. I have done Drive-By sex with an ex before, because while the situation was shitty, he was really good at sex. :angelic:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

He's talking Captain Mercer found out Commander Grayson was dating someone, she wouldn't say who, so at dinnertime he took a shuttle out for a spin and flew by the windows to her quarters to spy on who it was. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, that. I thought it was an invasion of privacy. But I guess I'm not 'evolved' enough.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

It was an invasion of privacy and was acknowledged as such by all involved; Cassius was just willing to cut him some slack and forgive him
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, that was considerably better. :grin:
Spoiler
That the villains were anti-vaxxers is just wonderful icing on the cake. :mrgreen:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I don't think they were anti-vaxxers, just anti-'you made our son look bad and commit suicide because of it' ers. They didn't seem to give a damn about whether or not their son was right, just about him being called on it.
And yikes. I know Alana's home was supposed to be high gravity but 'smashing a metal bottle flat in a second ' high is ...pretty high.
Why, exactly, would a uniformly seriously too high gravity break shin bones in one specific place ?
Very nifty gravity shield effects when the shuttle door was opened on their first landing. The shield effect rearranging to incorporate it was very well done.
Also, I think double Trek Doctor? Alana's dad was the EMH and I think deranged Dad was Phlox.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Awww, I'm going to miss Alara. I wonder why she's leaving the show.
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

Guess we know who does all the material science for the Union. Those towers must be stupidly strong to stay up in the gravity portrayed.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Batman wrote: 2019-01-11 11:49pmWhy, exactly, would a uniformly seriously too high gravity break shin bones in one specific place ?
I don't think the gravity was uniform then. I think the gravity shielding of the suit was failing unevenly.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-01-03 11:17pm He's talking Captain Mercer found out Commander Grayson was dating someone, she wouldn't say who, so at dinnertime he took a shuttle out for a spin and flew by the windows to her quarters to spy on who it was. :razz:
I found this really jarring that they included that scene. That was literally the captain abusing his authority to stalk a subordinate. And badly, at that. If I had a cloaking device and planned to do that, I wouldn’t forget to activate it until I was made.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I found it completely appropriate in the context of the series. That's exactly what Captain Mercer as established in the series would do and forget about.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Alferd Packer wrote: 2018-12-31 01:21am So, the new season of The Orville premiered tonight in the US. Without spoiling it too badly for those in other markets, I will say the following:
  • This episode was actually part of the original block ordered by Fox--it was deliberately held back due to scheduling issues. It was filmed probably about 18 months ago.
According to Wikipedia the second episode of this season was the one that was the one held back. I'm surprised so far no one has talked about it :D

Edit: tags can't work so I'll just leave it out
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Well I'll be! I guess then that the premiere makes a little more sense, but it's still odd that you have an episode made up of 4 B-plots.

In any event,Fox has confirmed that Halston Sage has left the show. I am glad that they left her a spot to come back, instead of Denise Crosbying her.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Batman wrote: 2019-01-11 11:49pm Also, I think double Trek Doctor? Alana's dad was the EMH and I think deranged Dad was Phlox.
I preferred to think of them as Woolsey and Felger.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I'm happily giving you Woolsey but I have no idea who Felger is
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Batman wrote: 2019-01-17 10:50pm I'm happily giving you Woolsey but I have no idea who Felger is
The geeky scientist who appeared in SG1's "The Other Guys' who happened to be a Star Trek fan. He was nearly ruthlessly killed by Goa'uld, but rescued by SG1 at the last minute. He didn't appear in the sequel episode with the stargate virus, due to being on Enterprise at the time.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Ah. That guy.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-01-17 10:56pm
Batman wrote: 2019-01-17 10:50pm I'm happily giving you Woolsey but I have no idea who Felger is
The geeky scientist who appeared in SG1's "The Other Guys' who happened to be a Star Trek fan. He was nearly ruthlessly killed by Goa'uld, but rescued by SG1 at the last minute. He didn't appear in the sequel episode with the stargate virus, due to being on Enterprise at the time.
Felger wasn't a star trek fan, Coombs, played by John Billingsly ( Phlox's actor) was.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I stand corrected.

Anyway, onto the latest episode. Nice bit of continuity there.
Spoiler
You kind of have to wonder how Teleya faked being a Union officer for so long. She either killed the real Janel and took her place, or it's really just that easy to fake being an officer in their fleet.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-01-18 04:15am
FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-01-17 10:56pm
Felger wasn't a star trek fan, Coombs, played by John Billingsly ( Phlox's actor) was.
Dang it. Wrong freaking name. My apologies everyone.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Spoiler
The episode was well done from the point of the betrayal onward, but Teleya managing to pull off the deception is a truckload of bullshit. She'd have to not only get out of prison, but manage to steal a ship and escape unopposed to Krill space, without anyone fucking knowing about it. And not only that, but then the Krill would have to be able to hack the Union personnel database undetected to put "Lt. Tyler's" service record in there, AND manipulate personnel assignment to get her on board the Orville. If they can do all that, they don't need Mercer's command codes to begin with.[/quote]
It's Rogue, not Rouge!