Nightflyers sneak peek

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Nightflyers sneak peek

Post by SolarpunkFan »

https://youtu.be/YfzEFx0NzCo

Well, that looks like something worth a look at.
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Nightflyers sneak peek

Post by FaxModem1 »

Knowing nothing about the series, the novel it's based on, anything else, I'm going to guess some alien disease made them all crazy and it's contagious. Could be good, could be rather cliche as that plot has been done a hundred times.

Though, I'm curious about when this is supposed to be set, due to the physical shape of the axe-wielding-maniac. If this is when space travel is common, then it could work potentially. If it's set in an era closer to ours, in which space travel is rather rare, then I'm curious about psycho-guy's physical conditioning. Astronaut standards for fitness are really high, and he doesn't look like he's been hitting the treadmill for a long while.

I'm sure the actor was hired for his ability to act psychotic rather than how he looked, but it took me out of the program due to the very high physical limits they put on real life astronauts.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-11-24 01:47am Knowing nothing about the series, the novel it's based on, anything else, I'm going to guess some alien disease made them all crazy and it's contagious. Could be good, could be rather cliche as that plot has been done a hundred times.

Though, I'm curious about when this is supposed to be set, due to the physical shape of the axe-wielding-maniac. If this is when space travel is common, then it could work potentially. If it's set in an era closer to ours, in which space travel is rather rare, then I'm curious about psycho-guy's physical conditioning. Astronaut standards for fitness are really high, and he doesn't look like he's been hitting the treadmill for a long while.

I'm sure the actor was hired for his ability to act psychotic rather than how he looked, but it took me out of the program due to the very high physical limits they put on real life astronauts.
The original story is set in the distant future. Martin wrote a whole bunch of stories in his "Thousand Worlds" universe which takes place after mankind has developed FTL, gone to the stars, and then had its central government collapse leaving the various planets basically self-governing and independent. IIRC, the ship is on some kind of science mission and things go horribly wrong.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, the lady's recorded audio warning is going to take millions of years to reach anybody instead of decades? So her sacrifice and actions were supposed to be entirely meaningless?

Well, this sounds like a George RR Martin story all right.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-11-24 09:43am So, the lady's recorded audio warning is going to take millions of years to reach anybody instead of decades? So her sacrifice and actions were supposed to be entirely meaningless?

Well, this sounds like a George RR Martin story all right.
No, it's going to reach the next ship that comes out there. Lots of travel in the Thousand Worlds. Also, Martin's earlier work is bleaker than the Game of Thrones. "Sand Kings" and "Dying of the Light" are not fluffy stories.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Sandkings became a Twilight Zone episode.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-11-25 07:31pm Sandkings became a Twilight Zone episode.
Outer limits, actually. Their first episode in fact. I remember it because it staif the Sandkings eating the dog as the cliffhanger for the two parter.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-11-27 06:12am
LadyTevar wrote: 2018-11-25 07:31pm Sandkings became a Twilight Zone episode.
Outer limits, actually. Their first episode in fact. I remember it because it staif the Sandkings eating the dog as the cliffhanger for the two parter.
Thank you. I confused the two, especially since this was the Outer Limits remake from the 80s-90s iirc.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

All the episodes are out and I've watched them. My thoughts:
Spoiler
Why spin the domes for gravity when they have artificial gravity in the rest of the ship ?
Characters talk about how impressive the design of the domes are, but don't say why. Does the original story elaborate on why ?

Now for the part of the series that I dislike: All the talk of the Nightflyer being a colony ship. I find it hard to believe that the Nightflyer is a colony ship, because sending a ship that's normally tasked with building colonies in the solar system on a deep space mission that a lot of people are doubting will be useful. Especially when you add in the 'dying earth' trope.

Turns out that the colony ship angle is something introduced in the TV adaptation. In the original story, the Nightflyer is a science ship and humanity has an interstellar civilization. Looks like someone high up in production believes that sci-fi doesn't do well if they don't show Earth.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I've watched the trailer and I'm rather underwhelmed by the axe-wielding guy's menace. So he's axe-crazy. Big whoop. Probably alien disease or something like that.

That's a bad thing but why does he need a story featuring a spaceship for?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Typically when a show decides to open by showing a clip of something that happens much later on, the lack of context gives you completely the wrong idea. Nightflyers is no exception.

It's a storytelling technique that annoys me.