Would the Galactic Empire prefer moble suits or Tau battlesuits

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

hunter5
Padawan Learner

Would the Galactic Empire prefer moble suits or Tau battlesuits

Post by hunter5 »

So which tech would the Galactic Empire prefer and why. Just another one of my random questions.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Would the Galactic Empire prefer moble suits or Tau battlesuits

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

They have perfectly serviceable walkers of their own, so I'd say the answer is neither.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

If you're talking Gundam style 40-foot-tall mobile suits: No. Too powerful for a single pilot. And with the weapons they have on hand, it'd be a pretty massive target.

That said, they could probably do it; the Dark Trooper suit (mk 1 or 2, I forget if the 3rd was a full droid suit) was basically a suit of powered armour.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Unlike an AT-AT, a Mobile Suit is fast enough to move defensively and make active use of cover. Also the megaparticle beam weapons are rather impressive.

There's a solid argument for each IMO.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Oh, one major reason why the GE would prefer a Tau Battlesuit- A Jedi in a Tau is a tough foe. A Jedi in a stolen mobile suit is death itself! Even comes with a lightsaber.

See Gundam for examples ^^
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Q99 wrote:Unlike an AT-AT, a Mobile Suit is fast enough to move defensively and make active use of cover. Also the megaparticle beam weapons are rather impressive.

There's a solid argument for each IMO.
Not all mobile suits(the Zeons' Doms, Rick Doms, and Zakus, in particular) use megaparticle beam weapons, and the suits of at least two of the franchises(UC and 00)will not work at all, unless Minovsky/GN particle technology works in the SW universe.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Isn't a Tau battlesuit a much smaller target though, IIRC the Mobile Suits were huge so they'd have "consentrate fire on this" sign on them. there's a reason why the Dark Troopers power armor isn't much bigger then a person and it's that bigger the target more fire it will drawn and there's a limit how much armor you can put on something that essentially has the proportions of a human, why mobile suits work in universe is probably that the forces cannot focus sufficient firepower to bring one down relibly.

oh and FYI:I'm leaving for a holiday and don't be back until very late on thursday so don't accept a reply from me until friday at earliest, you can think of it as partial consession if you wish.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Lord Revan wrote:Isn't a Tau battlesuit a much smaller target though, IIRC the Mobile Suits were huge so they'd have "consentrate fire on this" sign on them. there's a reason why the Dark Troopers power armor isn't much bigger then a person and it's that bigger the target more fire it will drawn and there's a limit how much armor you can put on something that essentially has the proportions of a human, why mobile suits work in universe is probably that the forces cannot focus sufficient firepower to bring one down relibly.

oh and FYI:I'm leaving for a holiday and don't be back until very late on thursday so don't accept a reply from me until friday at earliest, you can think of it as partial consession if you wish.
Mobile suits in the Gundam franchise ranged from 15m tall and up. In UC Gundam, the primary reason they couldn't be targeted effectively by anything other than a mobile suit was due to the Minovsky particles interfering with radar. The other Gundam universes, I don't know for sure.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: Not all mobile suits(the Zeons' Doms, Rick Doms, and Zakus, in particular) use megaparticle beam weapons, and the suits of at least two of the franchises(UC and 00)will not work at all, unless Minovsky/GN particle technology works in the SW universe.
That's not much of an obstacle since few of a Mobile Suit's weapons are integrated. If the GE decided to adopt them they could just build their own guns for it.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Vendetta wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: Not all mobile suits(the Zeons' Doms, Rick Doms, and Zakus, in particular) use megaparticle beam weapons, and the suits of at least two of the franchises(UC and 00)will not work at all, unless Minovsky/GN particle technology works in the SW universe.
That's not much of an obstacle since few of a Mobile Suit's weapons are integrated. If the GE decided to adopt them they could just build their own guns for it.
You mean reactors. UC/00's suits are powered by Minovsky/GN particle reactors.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Again, the GE already has power generators of the size it can use in a Mobile Suit. It uses them in starfighters.

It would probably want to change the armour as well for something up to scratch to protect from heavy blasters and anti-vehicle turbolasers. Maybe fit shields too.

So really what it would be doing is just building its own Gundams, but blacker.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

First, to clarify the Darktrooper progression
Mark 0 - Cyborgs (darktroopers from Battlefront series)
Mark 1 - Robots (basically Battle Droids with sword + Shield)
Mark 2 - Droid (Variant includes the Purge Troopers from Force Unleashed)
Mark 3 - Battle Suit seen at the end of the series

I can actually see, if the Dark trooper project hadn't been shut down, Mark IV+ being created, that scaled up in size to go head to have with Gundam's and Tau suits.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I'd want a Gundam beam rifle over a GE weapon of similar size- they really do punch through armor *really* well. The ones without beam weapons... well, a bit less attractive, but still pretty solid unless we're limiting things to Zakus.
Normal crossover assumptions would be transplanted tech would work.
Lord Revan wrote:Isn't a Tau battlesuit a much smaller target though, IIRC the Mobile Suits were huge so they'd have "consentrate fire on this" sign on them.
But also comparatively much less protected. Crisis suits are good for mobility and firepower, so-so for defense.

And some Mobile Suits really live up to the 'mobile' part of their name. Doms are known for circle strafing while firing bazookas.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Oh, but then again, if Vader was a MS pilot, and with no Jedi around... he may like that!