Imperial Guard with Space Marine Gunships

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Imperial Guard with Space Marine Gunships

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I heard they did something like that, god that's dumb. I could understand trying to simplify the rules, but not like that. I do wonder though if they've already internally written off the table top market as something that will die. They might make less money, but going electronic would mean they can basically eliminate their own costs completely. No inventory, no production costs... outsource all that to developers and publishers. Certainly it can't be long until they get a electronic version of the table top, still turned based and requiring you buy units, but say, with little animations that play for specific combat, games like that exist a plenty. Be more playable to people who don't want something like the WH Total War Game or Close Combat that still puts a premium on how fast you can click. Indeed such could be the sort of game you could integrate cross platform, and allow you to play multiple battles at once.

Since they basically never seem to drop the price of their existing video games either it's no doubt they have a policy to keep prices high period... but I have no idea how well those video games are selling in the first place, considering the guys making most of them went bankrupt. WH Total War has extra stuff in it's favor though.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I don't know about that. They did recently (as in a couple of weeks ago) fire Alan Merrett, the guy who asserted that they're a model company, not a game company, and was in charge of their IP development. So we'll see if they take a new direction or if they were just getting rid of the public face of the Chapterhouse Studios embarrassment for PR reasons.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Perhaps I was unclear, I didn't proof that as I try to do given my innate grammer problems, but firing a guy who said they are a model company not a game company is exactly in line with where I think they are going, and probably should go. A game company can be many things many places and should never be afraid of change, a model company sells models.

End of the day though even if their revenue was cut in half they would still exist, they already warded off the big declines of the past, so they have breathing space if nothing else.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I heard they did something like that, god that's dumb. I could understand trying to simplify the rules, but not like that. I do wonder though if they've already internally written off the table top market as something that will die. They might make less money, but going electronic would mean they can basically eliminate their own costs completely. No inventory, no production costs... outsource all that to developers and publishers. Certainly it can't be long until they get a electronic version of the table top, still turned based and requiring you buy units, but say, with little animations that play for specific combat, games like that exist a plenty. Be more playable to people who don't want something like the WH Total War Game or Close Combat that still puts a premium on how fast you can click. Indeed such could be the sort of game you could integrate cross platform, and allow you to play multiple battles at once.

Since they basically never seem to drop the price of their existing video games either it's no doubt they have a policy to keep prices high period... but I have no idea how well those video games are selling in the first place, considering the guys making most of them went bankrupt. WH Total War has extra stuff in it's favor though.
They did that with Battlefleet Gothic: Armada earlier this year. Covers only the First Gothic War, in space. The game is visually stunning, but still glitchy, even after it left beta and went to final release(which, I suppose, is par for the course for new/rushed titles), but my only legit complaint about it is I just can't seem to win with the Orks. The other factions(aside from the Astartes), fine, but, not the Orks, for some reason.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ha, last I heard the Orks were so OP they broke the campaign. But that may have a 'people suck a naval games factor behind it. Any naval game worth its salt will require a lot more fore planning then other types of war games.

It sounded like every balance patch was like a flipping of a switch though, rather then a proper adjustment. Personally I do favor games being balanced high, which is never easy, rather then the balanced low that stuff like World of Warships is forcing itself towards. But that was why I was and am in no rush to buy the thing either.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Well I can assure you that if any reality applied at all, that would also be true of that drill vehicle, no matter the ground conditions. Seriously, 300 feet a day would be amazing world record kind of performance, and since you have to do something with all the muck, and make a shitload of noise, it's not like the enemy won't be able to notice.
I don't think anyone was saying otherwise? The idea of a quiet siege drilling device is so out there I don't think even 40K has it.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Rogue 9 wrote:I don't know about that. They did recently (as in a couple of weeks ago) fire Alan Merrett, the guy who asserted that they're a model company, not a game company, and was in charge of their IP development. So we'll see if they take a new direction or if they were just getting rid of the public face of the Chapterhouse Studios embarrassment for PR reasons.
Oh thank god.

He's the guy by the by, who was keen to knock out necron & tau FTL in every publication as his own little brain-bug, and told Matt Ward "remove all female characters from your necron codex, women are inherently sympathetic and we can't have sympathetic necrons."

Interesting that they got Ward back at the same time.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Told you ignoring him was the way to go!
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Ha, last I heard the Orks were so OP they broke the campaign. But that may have a 'people suck a naval games factor behind it. Any naval game worth its salt will require a lot more fore planning then other types of war games.

It sounded like every balance patch was like a flipping of a switch though, rather then a proper adjustment. Personally I do favor games being balanced high, which is never easy, rather then the balanced low that stuff like World of Warships is forcing itself towards. But that was why I was and am in no rush to buy the thing either.
I've heard that. I've also heard similar bitching about the Eldar, and how the nova cannon was so OP as to make the Imperial Navy unbeatable, and while the game was in beta, it did seem the developers were flipping switches, and at random, and even then, I couldn't win playing Orks.

Which I don't think has anything to do with the game, it's just more me trying to wrap my head around playing Orks, and trying to pit their strengths against the other guy's weaknesses.

Now, beating the Orks is easy enough. A matter of outmaneurvering their ships, and holding them at range. And, micro-Warp jumps, if you have them.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford