ID4 VS Seinfeld Lantern Corps

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Re: ID4 VS Seinfeld Lantern Corps

Post by GuppyShark »

Simon_Jester wrote:If the aliens learn not to fire their main city-destroying weapons, surely that counts as a win...
They'd still be able to do it wherever the Seinfeld Corp isn't, and there's only four of them.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

GuppyShark wrote:The best they could accomplish initially would be to shield people, hook up with the main cast and assist them. Even together, they won't be able to muster the firepower to take down the alien fleet. We've seen what happens when a completely random* person gets a ring - they don't display anywhere near that level of destructive capability.

On the other hand I could definitely see the dramatic appeal of George getting riled up and blasting the first planet-killer weapon as it's preparing to fire, a feat they wouldn't be able to repeat (the aliens would learn from that).

* Later retconned, of course.

Green Arrow had difficulty making an arrow with a ring. Some lumberjacks who got Hal and Guy's rings made chainsaws but Hal and Guy sans ring were able to just will them to stop from a distance.

Plus of course, if they get afraid, their power output will drop and it'll become much easier to hurt them. So if destruction is raining, they may just crumple.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Is it a guarantee that the rings would be able to penetrate the aliens' shields?
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I don't know if they can fire through the shields, but the Lantern Rings have demonstrated the ability to allow the wearer to phase through shields and solid objects in the past.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:I don't know if they can fire through the shields, but the Lantern Rings have demonstrated the ability to allow the wearer to phase through shields and solid objects in the past.
Yeah, it's mostly a matter of what the wearer can imagine and apply their willpower to. Kyle Rayner was very powerful not only because of his willpower, but also because he had never been trained as a Lantern-- nobody told him there *was* a limit to what he could do-- and he was an artist, so he could get very creative with some of his constructs.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Cykeisme wrote:Is it a guarantee that the rings would be able to penetrate the aliens' shields?
The rings almost certainly can. The question-the core question of this entire thread, as I see it-is can the Seinfeld goons get the rings to do it. The likes of Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner could likely throw the ID4 goons into the Andromeda galaxy without even bothering to break the shield. Those folks? Oliver (a superhero in his own right and no stranger to the Lantern ways) barely managed to get the ring to create one lousy arrow.
The limits here are not set by the capabilities of the rings, but by the wielders ability to properly use them.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Batman wrote:
Cykeisme wrote:Is it a guarantee that the rings would be able to penetrate the aliens' shields?
The rings almost certainly can. The question-the core question of this entire thread, as I see it-is can the Seinfeld goons get the rings to do it. The likes of Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner could likely throw the ID4 goons into the Andromeda galaxy without even bothering to break the shield. Those folks? Oliver (a superhero in his own right and no stranger to the Lantern ways) barely managed to get the ring to create one lousy arrow.
The limits here are not set by the capabilities of the rings, but by the wielders ability to properly use them.
Bearing in mind that we've seen the Ring adopt Batman with ease (at least it gave him the uniform in his own limited-edition variant), I'm pretty sure Superman has used one before (but then what shtick hasn't he picked up before, I'm sure somewhere there's a picture of him in a Wonder Woman outfit), hell half the JL has probably used a Ring at some point...

Ahem. Anyway, yeah, Rings are interesting in that regard. I personally think Oliver had trouble with the Ring because he's a massive skeptic. At a certain level, he didn't think he could use one, so he had to try and get around that self-doubt to project an arrow. We've seen doubt cripple Green Lanterns before, quite often actually it's one of the main weapons used against them.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Arguably, if Jerry doesn't even tell them that self-doubt reduces their ability to use the rings, they'll act with more confidence in their use of them. Sort of like how Wile E. Coyote doesn't fall until he looks down and realizes he's run out of ground about fifteen feet back at the edge of the cliff. I said earlier that Kramer would be the weakest ring user? If creativity is an asset in the use of the ring, Kramer might actually be the most powerful user of the rings.