You get a suit of power armor (RAR!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: You get a suit of power armor (RAR!)

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Purple wrote:I might not be the nicest person on earth but I'll stop short of actually handing this thing to the evil empire.
You incorrectly assume you have a choice in the matter.
Batman wrote:Those guys already have nukes up the wazoo and plenty of other weapons FAR more destructive than this suit (which as power armours go is pretty damn unimpressive). And that presupposes they get it to work even if it CAN be reverse-engineered.
Unimpressive, but they might be able to integrate the concept of powered armor into their Land Warrior program. The same also holds for the European militaries, most of whom are either working on similar concepts or have already fielded their own LW-type systems(FÉLIN, for example).
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:You incorrectly assume you have a choice in the matter.
I live in Europe. My country does not in fact check every ones mail all the time. So by the time the evil empire notices this thing I'll be able to strip it for parts and sell off some (like the power cells) whilst burring the rest. Hell, a good idea might well be to strip this thing for parts and sell it peace meal to attract less attention.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What good would that do? People would see strange, custom-built thins with questionable utility on their own and to what you'd attach incredible powers. You might as well be a conman.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Purple wrote:My country does not in fact check every ones mail all the time.
You're telling me that a 3-400kg parcel could shipped through your country's post without anyone batting an eye? :wtf:
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The OP says you receive the package, not that it was shipped to you. I could have poofed to your front step without ever having been registreed anywhere. That's something to consider.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Purple wrote:My country does not in fact check every ones mail all the time.
You're telling me that a 3-400kg parcel could shipped through your country's post without anyone batting an eye? :wtf:
Not to the point of having it opened, examined AND the info shared with the american secret service.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

You mean the CIA. The Secret Service just guards the President, goes after countefeiters and cyber-criminals nowadays.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:You mean the CIA. The Secret Service just guards the President, goes after countefeiters and cyber-criminals nowadays.
Either way. My country does not share all of its secrets with Mordor Intelligence.

Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Purple wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:You mean the CIA. The Secret Service just guards the President, goes after countefeiters and cyber-criminals nowadays.
Either way. My country does not share all of its secrets with Mordor Intelligence.
Who said anything about sharing? Besides, it's not just the CIA you have to worry about. SVR, MI6, DGSE, Mossad, Ministry of State Security, et cetera, et cetera. All the other "evil empires" want what you have, and when they want something, they will get it. Better it be in their hands than yours, especially considering that you're the type who'd sell something like this to an actual Evil EmpireTM like Daesh given half a chance.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

I could just rip the power cells out and destroy the rest. Disassemble it and dump it into the ocean or something.

This said handing this over to someone like the DPRK or ISIS would actually be a morally righteous choice. They are the ones who are least likely to either figure out how it works, use it to any effect or sell it on simply because they have neither the industry nor friends to do so.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

That doesn't even take into consideration the logistics of burying several hundred pounds of powered-armor bits, after selling off the servos, power cells, and the physical armor itself(for scrap value), the logistics involved in dismantling the PA in the first place, the chances of him finding buyers for what he has to offer, or any reserach outfit willing to give him the time of day for him to even be heard out to begin with.

If he wants to sell it, with the least impact to his life, then Perps should simply put in an advert online(or/including White Dwarf) for replica Warhammer 40K Astartes armor, last worn at a cosplay event at random SF convention/Games Day, and nothing else. I'm reasonably sure there's a 40K fanatic out there who will put money down for it, without a second thought. After that, it's his problem.

And, Perps, buddy, I'm sure Mordor Intel has its tendrils in every European country. Even Switzerland.
Jub wrote:The OP says you receive the package, not that it was shipped to you. I could have poofed to your front step without ever having been registreed anywhere. That's something to consider.
And, this isn't going to attract the attention of everything from spy satellites to nosy neighbors with local law enforcement on speed-dial, why?
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Purple wrote:I could just rip the power cells out and destroy the rest. Disassemble it and dump it into the ocean or something.

This said handing this over to someone like the DPRK or ISIS would actually be a morally righteous choice. They are the ones who are least likely to either figure out how it works, use it to any effect or sell it on simply because they have neither the industry nor friends to do so.
The logistics of doing something like that are still going to arouse suspicion.

And, what makes you think that the North Koreans or ISIL wouldn't hire outside experts who don't care where their money's coming from, as long as its green and spendable, or who see it in their best interests to help them(e.g. the Chinese, in the case of North Korea, the Saudis, maybe, in the case of the Islamic State).

For that matter, what makes you think there aren't technically-savvy people amongst the Islamic State's jihadists or within the North Korean state?! Especially, if either resort to the simple expedient of kidnapping the help they need?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Jub wrote:The OP says you receive the package, not that it was shipped to you. I could have poofed to your front step without ever having been registreed anywhere. That's something to consider.
And, this isn't going to attract the attention of everything from spy satellites to nosy neighbors with local law enforcement on speed-dial, why?
For all they know it's a fridge, and government surveillance isn't nearly so good as you think it is. They have no reason to watch any of us for a large package even we didn't expect to get. Plus, if anybody askes it's an expensive prop or costume.

Think about it, why would anybody be on lookout for something that is clearly a fiction.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:And, what makes you think that the North Koreans or ISIL wouldn't hire outside experts who don't care where their money's coming from, as long as its green and spendable, or who see it in their best interests to help them(e.g. the Chinese, in the case of North Korea, the Saudis, maybe, in the case of the Islamic State).

For that matter, what makes you think there aren't technically-savvy people amongst the Islamic State's jihadists or within the North Korean state?! Especially, if either resort to the simple expedient of kidnapping the help they need?
A rather good point. I mean, it still beats handing it over to someone who'll get to use it immediately but it's still pretty crappy. So you win that one.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Jub wrote: Plus, if anybody askes it's an expensive prop or costume.
Which is likely the only explanation that won't land you in (too much) hot water.
Purple wrote:A rather good point. I mean, it still beats handing it over to someone who'll get to use it immediately but it's still pretty crappy. So you win that one.
Ain't about winning. It's about poking holes in something that already doesn't hold water(these RAR! threads, not you particularly, Perps), and otherwise chipping in my two cents' worth.

Besides, ultimately the only practical(and dickish)thing to do, which doesn't involve gifting the damn thing to any evil empire, is sell it as an expensive costume that some 40K fanboy with more money than sense(or a quart low on both, either one)will snap up with no questions asked, and your headache gone.

For the moment, at least.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Which won't really work either because then the fanboy will be investigated after going on how cool his shit is and then the fanboy will finger you.

If I could, I'd send it to some end-of-the-world fanatic if I wanted to sell the thing, someone who would add it to his self-sustaining fortress in the middle of the woods of his privately-owned land. It will end up in a closet all day for the end of the world that never comes and the person will more likely stay quiet about it

To be honest, keeping it for such purposes for myself may not be as bad idea, considering there is an entity out there that can make this and is active in the world. Think about it, if he sends something like this for shits and giggles, what is the serious hardware it has for itself. It's enough to consider making a bunker yourself.

EDIT: Selling it to ISIL or North Korea is spectacularly stupid idea, especially if you want to avoid selling it to Evil Empires. If for nothing else, these factions are tightly monitored by Evil Empire intelligence agencies. Do you honestly think you can contact these factions without these larger intelligence agencies not noticing you or learning about you on some later date?

No, if you want absolute peace of mind then destroy it or bury it somewhere yourself.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

An addamantum: one thing I'd do, which is slightly meta due to how RARs play, is to keep it and wait until some less lucky SDN forum member gets their armor discovered. Because while most of us probably have the sense not to do anything about it, there is inevitably going to be one person that is going to be very irresponsible about having one of these things and do something stupid. Or just be clumsy selling it. So the first thing I'd do is hide the thing in some abandoned site, deep underground (use the power armor to make it inaccessible to casual workers), with the power cells hidden elsewhere (maybe even take it apart somewhat).

Then wait and see how they decide about this. Perhaps things could go reasonably and I can either keep it with some legal agreement or a safe way to sell it to some decent terms.
Credo!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

An addamantum, eh :)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Could anyone actually prosecute you for owning this thing? It's not got weapons, it's not flight capable. I don't know what laws if any it could fall under.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Crazedwraith wrote:Could anyone actually prosecute you for owning this thing? It's not got weapons, it's not flight capable. I don't know what laws if any it could fall under.
I doubt it would be illegal, any more than it would be illegal to own a forklift or another piece of power equipment. I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested in how you got it or where it came from.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

If you bust up someone's car by accident with it, I expect you could be very swiftly prosecuted for 'operating heavy equipment without license' or some such. Wouldn't be surprised if your local jurisdiction quickly passes a law requiring you to be licensed to use such, and of course, for them to determine the best procedure for licensing, you'll have to allow them to examine the suit...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah if you use this thing on public property that's asking for trouble, but licensing doesn't really apply on private property. I can operate a backhoe without a license in my own backyard to dig a pond, so this thing would be no different.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Right, but if you don't even have property per se, just an apartment... what are you going to do with it? Prop it up in the corner and balance a few tchotkes on it? Not going to do you much good there, is it?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Elheru Aran wrote:Right, but if you don't even have property per se, just an apartment... what are you going to do with it? Prop it up in the corner and balance a few tchotkes on it? Not going to do you much good there, is it?
Conversation piece?
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Because I regularly buy stuff that comes in large packages and have a roof? I mean, seriously. You are projecting some kind of paranoid world onto this thread - my neighbors would maybe *ask* about the thing, but they wouldn't press and they wouldn't call the authorities unless I was being really dodgy about it.

To me, the best use here is to use this in place of a bike to commute to work. It's roughly as fast (maybe slightly slower actually), but it's super-comfortable and electric, so I might be inclined to use it instead of my car and just accept that the trip will take 3x as long. *I* can't make use of it as an armored thing - it doesn't automagically make me any good at fighting. It doesn't sound great at doing other manual tasks, because a pretty standard forklift shouldn't have trouble lifting a ton or two and the bulk would be largely detrimental to fine tasks. It might be good for emergency response, but again, training. And because there's only one (or a handful, if all you guys get one too), it is just a one-off specialty thing that has no purpose unless you're really well trained and in a really dangerous environment all the time, but still near enough power to top off every once in a while.

Now, if I had a factory making these things, that'd be a different story.